Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kev133

Exception to Policy (ETP) information

Recommended Posts

Looking for some good info from some knowledgeable individuals.

My backstory is I am guard guy with prior enlisted time as a crewchief on Vipers, was lucky enough to get selected by my unit for a UPT slot. Attended Wright-Pat a year ago and passed all test with flying colors to receive my FC1 with one waiver for a minor eye condition. I went to OTS shortly after, but while at OTS all rated officers were given hearing exams to which I failed with H-3 results for my left ear at high frequency (4000 & 6000Hz). I was then sent to Doctor's office for an evaluation to which they found I had a severe sinus cold and an ear block (left ear) that the test proctor had failed to visually notice. The Dr told me not to worry, he put me on cold meds and told me we would retest later when I was healthy (which never happened at OTS). After graduation, I arrived at ENJJPT for an August 2017 start. Upon starting pilot training, the Flight Doc reviewed each students medical docs and conducted some brief tests before signing off on our FC1's. One of those tests happened to be a hearing exam to which I tested at H-3 once again. The Flight Doc proceeded to follow the waiver guide by having me retest twice on base, seek a civilian specialist (local ENT), and even got authorized a backseat ride in the T-6 with an IP to conduct an In-flight hearing exam, all of which I passed with no difficulty. The waiver was written for asymmetric H-2 hearing (left ear) because specialists test showed me at 50-55dB @4000Hz and 45dB @6000Hz. AETC/SG rejected the waiver surprising my Flight Doc and IP's. I got my guard unit and OG/CC involved to no immediate avail. I was terminated from training in November (start of phase 2) and have been fighting my case ever since. Every rated pilot and Flight Doc I have talked to has supported my case saying the ruling is obsurd and to fight it. They concur I am 1-click away from passing the hearing exam (being waiverable) for onbase testing (60dB to 55dB @4000Hz) and that I should be a no-brainer for an ETP. I have been building my ETP and testing on base at Sheppard regularly. I passed the onbase test once but was told I had to retest immediately that day per the AFI, to which I could not duplicate my results (btw 2 hearing exams in a row is torture).

I apologize for being long winded and understand this is more of a hearing standards question, but I would appreciate any feedback on both hearing standards and ETP info. I have been doing my research but want to make sure I am not missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know what the approval chain for the Medical ETP is for Guard/Reserve side?  Still Wing-NAF-MAJCOM-AF/CV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, 08Dawg said:

Anybody know what the approval chain for the Medical ETP is for Guard/Reserve side?  Still Wing-NAF-MAJCOM-AF/CV?

According to the guidance I have found, the Guard Medical ETP chain is OG/CC-WG/CC-TAG-NGB/A1-NGB/CF. Correct me if I am wrong, but I found a publication for how to submit Age Waivers and Medical ETPs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So currently have an ETP in the works, but the waiver-able limits for my condition have changed since my ETP started its routing (still out of limits but only a small amount now). Is there a specific protocol for a rebuttal? My current Flight Surgeon wrote a memo supporting my rebuttal and as of now the plan is to submit it to AFMSA. Or should we go thru AETC again first? And will any of that interfere with the ETP?

From what I know, my ETP case gets reviewed medically (to provide solid medical info to the decision makers) and don't want to step on any toes since the ETP is supposed to be a last resort and now I'm trying medically again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, jonlbs said:

So currently have an ETP in the works, but the waiver-able limits for my condition have changed since my ETP started its routing (still out of limits but only a small amount now). Is there a specific protocol for a rebuttal? My current Flight Surgeon wrote a memo supporting my rebuttal and as of now the plan is to submit it to AFMSA. Or should we go thru AETC again first? And will any of that interfere with the ETP?

From what I know, my ETP case gets reviewed medically (to provide solid medical info to the decision makers) and don't want to step on any toes since the ETP is supposed to be a last resort and now I'm trying medically again.

 

@deaddebate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, jonlbs said:

So currently have an ETP in the works, but the waiver-able limits for my condition have changed since my ETP started its routing (still out of limits but only a small amount now). Is there a specific protocol for a rebuttal? My current Flight Surgeon wrote a memo supporting my rebuttal and as of now the plan is to submit it to AFMSA. Or should we go thru AETC again first? And will any of that interfere with the ETP?

From what I know, my ETP case gets reviewed medically (to provide solid medical info to the decision makers) and don't want to step on any toes since the ETP is supposed to be a last resort and now I'm trying medically again.

 

@stuckindayton

 

Just heard back from USAFSAM that they would not recommend the waiver since its out of limits still (even if its way less).

Knew this was coming, but if I’m outside of waiverable limits will AFMSA even bother looking at it or is there a chance they take a look at the whole picture and maybe say ya hes outside the numbers but his actual functionality is pretty good and sign it?

My medical personnel believe the ETP is the best chance now but I’m curious if I should push them anymore on the medical cause I know AFSMA is an authority still.

Edited by jonlbs
Tried but failed to make font the same size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jonlbs said:

@stuckindayton

 

Just heard back from USAFSAM that they would not recommend the waiver since its out of limits still (even if its way less).

Knew this was coming, but if I’m outside of waiverable limits will AFMSA even bother looking at it or is there a chance they take a look at the whole picture and maybe say ya hes outside the numbers but his actual functionality is pretty good and sign it?

My medical personnel believe the ETP is the best chance now but I’m curious if I should push them anymore on the medical cause I know AFSMA is an authority still.

Jon,

USAFSAM has no authority to offer a positive recommendation for anyone who exceeds waiver limits.  They essentially interpret the policy for the waiver authority.  AFMSA (and AETC) have the authority to waive anything they want.  They usually follow the written policy, but not in every case.  I don't know what they will do in this case as there are very few people who have refractive surgery with refractive errors above +5.00.  At this point, there seems little harm in starting an ETP.  I don't see it having any impact on your medical disposition.  You are technically still DQ'd so an ETP can be initiated (it can't be if your disposition is still in limbo).  If AFMSA comes around and offers a waiver then you d/c the ETP process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking to apply to a UPT board that holds interviews 4 days after I turn 28 1/2. Has anybody had experience with this and/or know if it's a show-stopper? 

 

thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, megabyteme said:

I'm looking to apply to a UPT board that holds interviews 4 days after I turn 28 1/2. Has anybody had experience with this and/or know if it's a show-stopper? 

 

thanks in advance!

depends on the air frame i would think....but otherwise...the age is now 33 to start UPT so you're good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone in here know if anyone’s whose gone through IFS/UFT pipeline, got eliminated for non-medical issues, and has tried or will try to apply again with an ETP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...