Pilot/graduation gifts

CHS17

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
Guest flychick

Yes, I used the search function (Pretty soon, every thread will start like that!) but I have a more specific question. As far as gifts go, what have been your favorite gifts given to you for OTS graduation, UPT events, etc. I'm looking for something besides the ordinary medal box or picture frame. (Unless of course that was your best gift.)

I am more into personal things, so I was thinking of a nice relaxing vacation of some sort, but am not sure about our timeline issues yet. Any other ideas? I'm prepared for the usual "more intimate" answers, too....and am expecting them.

Guest twood

Airman's bible. Its a blue cover with name etched in silver with a small cross at the bottom right cover. The Air Force seal is on the cover and the pages are lined with silver. Its actually really cool.

Since I didn't get anything for my graduation from the Academy or Pilot Training, I went out last week and bought me a new F-150, as a gift to myself. I had a buddy whos parents bought him a Harley...another guy I know got a cruise for him and his fiance. Another guy I know knocked up his girlfriend the week of graduation from the zoo...so I guess that's kind of a graduation gift.

[ 27. July 2005, 15:02: Message edited by: Vetter ]

Guest Walter_Sobchak

Well, it's not really something that everybody can give/get, but when I graduated from UPT my grandfather gave me a pair of his wings... from 1943. Various relatives got me some things for both commissioning and winging, but from one bomber pilot to another, the wings take the cake.

Guest flychick

I like the F-150 idea. Thanks, I was thinking of buying another truck on top of both of our unpaid cars! Haha...not really. That was absolutely useless. ;)

The wings idea is cool, though. ALthough none of his relatives have been pilots at all. I was thinking the beer-of-the-month club?

[ 27. July 2005, 22:05: Message edited by: flychick ]

Guest SuperStallionIP

Beer of the Month is a super idea. I used to get it several years ago. Twelve tasty treats every month to sample. Usually 3 different brands in a box. Highly recommended.

Guest SeekYeFirst

Hi everyone-

I was wondering if anybody has some good ideas for a UPT graduation gift. We have several family members who want to give my husband a "cool" gift for his graduation, but none of us are really sure what would be a big hit. Any ideas?

Guest SuperStallionIP

Get him a pack of cigarettes...SMOKE UP JOHNNY!!! No really, some things would be a brand new flight pubs bag, a really nice watch, a Beer of the Month or Cigar of the Month Club membership, a large capacity MP3 player, a subscription to Hustler, just a few examples. A model would be cool like Rainman said but I would hold off on that for when he actually gets qualified in model. Attrition still can happen at the FTU, not that it will, but no reason to jinx him.

Guest nickarij

SeekYeFirst- I'm planning on getting something made that he can hang on the wall. A friend of mine got one made when he graduated from Nav school. It has two small lithos of the training planes he flew (in our case, T-6 and T-38), a large litho of the plane he gets at assignment night, and a pair of wings all set in a nice matting.

The frame shop on base can make it for you for less than $50.

If you want to see a pic, PM me with your email address and I'll email it to you.

The litho is a great idea - most classes usually have something done collectively. If not, the frame shop will surely have many templates to choose from. I had one done for my UPT class and my FTU class. The UPT class had our class patch, and both flight patches along the side, class photo and 'hero shot' in the middle, and both trainers flown along the right side along with my wings and a plaque with my name and class dates.

You can PM me as well if you'd like to see a pic.

I have a St Micheals pendant given to me after graduation from UPT-H. I still carry it in flight suit pocket now for 20+ years. A nice touch. A gift that envokes a special memory i.e. hummer, pendant, wings etc.

EE

Try a box of good cigars.

I recently sent a box to a buddy of mine who was appointed a fighter squadron commander. It's the standard gift I ask for on my birthday and holidays from my own family.

Use Holt's Cigar Company in Philadelphia. They're the best.

www.holts.com

If you need recommendations on what brand or size cigar to send...pm me.

Guest SnakeT38

I think U with a "big red bow" (and that's it) AROUND you, sitting in the NEW F-150, would be "reason" to remember the event!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pilotswife

Not sure where you are doing UPT at but you may try Aero Originals http://www.aeroriginals.com/shadow_boxes/s...boxes_main.html

We got our guys some shadowboxes. The wives did this as a class and surprised all the guys with them, they loved them. It is a picture frame with pics of the planes, wings, hero shot, class/flight pic, and a name plate. There is also pictures and models for sale on this site if you would want something like that.

[ 22. August 2005, 13:21: Message edited by: pilotswife ]

• 1 year later...
Guest Heath24

Does anyone have any gift ideas for a student pilot's graduation? My husband is graduating in a few short months and I'm trying to think of a gift to get him for his big day. His parents are also asking for ideas and I want to give them a suggestion that will be meaningful to him, as well as significant to this step in his AF career.

A pilot is always interested in a watch (this has come up in numerous threads).

I recommend several:

Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk - $200-300, aviation watch

Any Seiko Kinetic watch - $200-400

Casio Pathfinder 1200 - $200-300, multifunction watch with compass, altimeter, thermometer, etc.

A watch is something he will surely use in his flying (and non-flying) career.