Private Pilot License (PPL) questions

PapaJu

well I already know my eyes are good and wont be dq'ed because of that.

Don't be so sure...AF standards are stricter than FAA standards. I know a guy who got a PPL paid for by the AF, then was DQ'd for a weird eye thing at Brooks.

Guest kingneptune117

Don't be so sure...AF standards are stricter than FAA standards. I know a guy who got a PPL paid for by the AF, then was DQ'd for a weird eye thing at Brooks.

ive been tested and have 20x20 vision. then again, like you said, i could have some strange eye condition that i do not know of.

well I already know my eyes are good and wont be dq'ed because of that. what im worried about is my hand. i was born with a smaller left hand (and thats to make a long story short). It doesnt affect my grip or anything really, but im afraid the flight docs will dq me anyways. I think I am going to end up getting my ppl during college. by then I will have the money. Theres nothing wrong with waiting until then to get it.

Wouldn't count on the eyes. My eyes were 20/20 when I was 17, then by 20 had gone well past waiver-able limits to fly in the AF.

Hate to say it, but the smaller hand thing is probably weird enough for the docs to DQ ya. Like how much smaller?

Guest kingneptune117

Wouldn't count on the eyes. My eyes were 20/20 when I was 17, then by 20 had gone well past waiver-able limits to fly in the AF.

Hate to say it, but the smaller hand thing is probably weird enough for the docs to DQ ya. Like how much smaller?

hard to describe, i can assure you it works fine. I dont think they can DQ you for having a "weird" condition. They concentrate on if it is a progressing condition, which its not, or if it will affect your duties as an officer, which, as far as my knowledge goes, it wont. Not gonna give up though.

besides it doesnt help that much from what ive read. I mean sure it helps, but I heard lots of guys get slots without a ppl...

well I already know my eyes are good and wont be dq'ed because of that. ..... I think I am going to end up getting my ppl during college. by then I will have the money. Theres nothing wrong with waiting until then to get it.

hard to describe, i can assure you it works fine. I dont think they can DQ you for having a "weird" condition. They concentrate on if it is a progressing condition, which its not, or if it will affect your duties as an officer, which, as far as my knowledge goes, it wont.

Well it sure sounds like you've just got it all figured out, man. Best of luck.

Yeah man... for somebody with questions, you sure do have a lot of answers... Here's an answer you might not have.. the dudes on this board are an awesome resource, related story: you have two ears and one mouth... ask a question, listen to answers.

Guest kingneptune117

Yeah man... for somebody with questions, you sure do have a lot of answers... Here's an answer you might not have.. the dudes on this board are an awesome resource, related story: you have two ears and one mouth... ask a question, listen to answers.

im not trying to come across as a know it all, my original question here was if flight hours ever expire. I was simply telling everyone a little background story of why I want a ppl. I send a lot of pm's to people on this board about specific questions, whether it be medical or just USAF in general. I dont know how many threads I have written so far explaining my hand in deep detail, but I dont think explaining it again is necessary. I have already emailed Larry Mullen (DODMERB) and he already told me that there is no way to know if I will get DQ'ed or not until I come in, and that is perfectly fine with me :thumbsup:

Theres no way to obtain an answer that doesnt exist. But thanks to everyone for all the help everyone, I appreciate it!

Edited by kingneptune117

already told me that there is no way to know if I will get DQ'ed or not until I come in, and that is perfectly fine with me :thumbsup:

Theres no way to obtain an answer that doesnt exist. But thanks to everyone for all the help everyone, I appreciate it!

Just to make sure you understand, visual acuity (the 20/20 business) is not the only factor in passing an AF vision test. There is color vision, depth perception, asitgmatism, and probably other factors. They AF looks at these things in much more detail than an FAA flight doc on a class III. Not saying you have a problem, just letting you know that being 20/20 is not a guarantee of passage by itself.

Guest kingneptune117

Just to make sure you understand, visual acuity (the 20/20 business) is not the only factor in passing an AF vision test. There is color vision, depth perception, asitgmatism, and probably other factors. They AF looks at these things in much more detail than an FAA flight doc on a class III. Not saying you have a problem, just letting you know that being 20/20 is not a guarantee of passage by itself.

Yes, i understand. In no way am I saying im for sure getting a slot, or even getting into the USAF. With my hand condition, I am extremely nervous as to what will happen. Hopefully things will work out. If they dont, life will take its course and lead me to where I should be. Not sure if anyone here attends purdue university, but im considering going there. I visited, and they just recently got brand new cirus sr20's. My local airport only has cessna 150's to train in, yet it is the same price as purdues program. I think that flight lessons will improve my college experience if I attend purdue, or any university for that matter.

I visited, and they just recently got brand new cirus sr20's. My local airport only has cessna 150's to train in, yet it is the same price as purdues program.

I don't know dude about the price being equal for the Cirrus vs. 150... I could be wrong, but you may wanna recheck that whole deal.

Maybe the cessna 150's rate is a wet rate and the Cirrus's is a dry rate? Or one price includes the instructor and the other does not? Perhaps something like that going on.

Edited by sog

Guest kingneptune117

Perhaps part of Purdue's costs are included in the tuition/fees for their aviation program.

I did a little more research, and I think this may be correct. Purdue states that certain programs will add additional costs onto tuition, and im willing to bet that the aviation program is one of them. I think this may be somewhat advantageous since I hope to get financial aid, and it may cover some of the flight costs if it is integrated into the tuition.

I did a little more research, and I think this may be correct. Purdue states that certain programs will add additional costs onto tuition, and im willing to bet that the aviation program is one of them. I think this may be somewhat advantageous since I hope to get financial aid, and it may cover some of the flight costs if it is integrated into the tuition.

Yeah, expect an additional average of $7000-9000 per school year in flight fees. I go to a fellow Big Ten school, and that's about what I paid in addition to tuition. Can't answer your question about financial aid specifically, but I'd imagine it would cover flight training, else practically no one would have the money to go through the program.

Yeah, expect an additional average of $7000-9000 per school year in flight fees. I go to a fellow Big Ten school, and that's about what I paid in addition to tuition. Can't answer your question about financial aid specifically, but I'd imagine it would cover flight training, else practically no one would have the money to go through the program.

For ERAU, I was able to include my flight costs in my total financial aid package. However, there is some rules about if you're on scholarship it technically can't cover an part of the flying. I stopped flying here just before I got my scholarship, so can't help with that part. However, before I got my scholarship, they would include that in the annual cost of tuition, therefore my finaid and stu loans covered flying (a terrible decision that I will most likely regret later on, when I'm paying them back).

Guest kingneptune117

For ERAU, I was able to include my flight costs in my total financial aid package. However, there is some rules about if you're on scholarship it technically can't cover an part of the flying. I stopped flying here just before I got my scholarship, so can't help with that part. However, before I got my scholarship, they would include that in the annual cost of tuition, therefore my finaid and stu loans covered flying (a terrible decision that I will most likely regret later on, when I'm paying them back).

oh, how did you like ERAU? Ive heard a lot about it. How much did financial aid cover of ur flight lessons?

I'm not saying the possibility doesn't exist out there, but in general it will be much cheaper to get your license at some local FBO than through an aviation program at Purdue, ERAU, etc. Learning to fly in a SR-20, a 2009 172 with all glass, etc. is WAY overkill. Save a ton of money and go learn to fly in a 1977 172 or something. It's not as "sexy," but you'll learn the exact same shit and have more money in your pocket for other things or for more flying hours after you're done with your license. Many of us got licenses in high school or college just flying at the local FBO...there is zero need to go through some incredibly expensive aviation program at a college. Not saying those programs are bad, but if you don't have shit tons of money or don't want to pay large loans back for a long time, consider the alternative.

Guest kingneptune117

I'm not saying the possibility doesn't exist out there, but in general it will be much cheaper to get your license at some local FBO than through an aviation program at Purdue, ERAU, etc. Learning to fly in a SR-20, a 2009 172 with all glass, etc. is WAY overkill. Save a ton of money and go learn to fly in a 1977 172 or something. It's not as "sexy," but you'll learn the exact same shit and have more money in your pocket for other things or for more flying hours after you're done with your license. Many of us got licenses in high school or college just flying at the local FBO...there is zero need to go through some incredibly expensive aviation program at a college. Not saying those programs are bad, but if you don't have shit tons of money or don't want to pay large loans back for a long time, consider the alternative.

Do you by any chance have experience getting flight training during high school (not summer, but while school is in session)? I couldnt do it before the summer ends because of certain financial situations we have right now, but I could probably do it during school. Keep in mind I also work a job 16 hours a week, and thats during school.

one other quick question. Since aircraft rental (around here anyways) is on an hourly basis, im guessing this means I couldnt fly home from college for summer break by renting an aircraft right? It would be quite convenient, but at 100 dollars per hour rental costs, it seems out of reach, unless the rental system works differently.

It does work differently. Basically, the rate calculates how long the engine is running. For example, If you flew to your home airport (ETE 1 hour), shut off the engine and tied it down, hung out at home for the day, then flew back to school that evening (ETE 1 hour), you would only pay for 2 hrs. worth of rental time. However, some FBO's will charge additional fees for keeping the plane out all day or overnight. If your thinking about going to your airport, checking out the plane and saying "See you guys in 3 months", they would laugh and take the keys away from you.

Do you by any chance have experience getting flight training during high school (not summer, but while school is in session)? I couldnt do it before the summer ends because of certain financial situations we have right now, but I could probably do it during school. Keep in mind I also work a job 16 hours a week, and thats during school.

I started flight training the July before my junior year and completed it mid-August the next year later. (A quick look at the logbook shows that I did very nearly 50% of my flight training while in school and 50% over the two summers.) It took me 59.5 hours. 60 is considered the average. There are some large gaps when I did not fly. As a fledgling aviator, this is no good, both from a financial and skills standpoint. But it's definitely possible.

I didn't work 16 hours a week during school, but I did run cross country, winter track, and spring track. With each practice lasting 2.5 hours, by the time it was all said and done, I "worked" 12 hours a week while in flight training. I had weekends at my disposal.

Nothing to it but doing it (and having the money).

-PD

Guest kingneptune117

It does work differently. Basically, the rate calculates how long the engine is running. For example, If you flew to your home airport (ETE 1 hour), shut off the engine and tied it down, hung out at home for the day, then flew back to school that evening (ETE 1 hour), you would only pay for 2 hrs. worth of rental time. However, some FBO's will charge additional fees for keeping the plane out all day or overnight. If your thinking about going to your airport, checking out the plane and saying "See you guys in 3 months", they would laugh and take the keys away from you.

Hey dude, that is some great news. What about bringing it home for a week? Would that be considered a bit to much?

Hey dude, that is some great news. What about bringing it home for a week? Would that be considered a bit to much?

Pretty sure no FBO is going to let you do that. If they do, there will be min hr charges. Meaning, they'll let you go, but will charge you a min or 15 hrs of flight time or something like that...regardless of how much you actually fly. So, if you plan on actually flying 15 hrs worth, then it's worth it, but if not, take a car instead.