Altus AFB info

Guest C-21 Pilot

If anybody's trying to avoid another dinner at Chili's - head north to Blair (8-9 mi) for the Backdoor Steakhouse. My inlaws happen to live in the area and took us there for dinner about a year ago. Pretty popular on a weekend night.

On a side note - drove through there today...and spotted "Executive Massage" on the west edge of town. Real Nice trailerhouse behind an eight-foot sheetmetal privacy fence. Bottom of the sign, in quotes, "Come Again!"

• 1 month later...

As far as living in an apartment is concerned for AD folks, are we first required to check in at billeting, or can we choose to stay off base in an apartment? I'm under the impression the only way we can stay off base is if billeting is completely full.

Also, I've heard that laptops are somewhat required for the classes because they don't like to hand out paper copies of the pubs. Is this true for the -17 folks? I just don't want to go out and fork over a couple of G's for a laptop I won't use after Altus. Can I get by fairly easy w/out one?

• 1 month later...

I think this question might go here...

my husband is going to Altus. He's RNTD is in March. It's a TDY in route (no surpirse there).

I have known spouses who stayed in Enid while the other went to Altus, but they lived off base, so it didn't matter if they "out processed" from Vance or not. We live on base... What's going to happened? The time is right in the middle of my school semester. Who do we talk to, to make sure (if possible) that I can stay on base? We have three huge dogs, other wise we would get an appartment off base, and call it good... but Enid is NOT dog friendly.

Thanks!

I think this question might go here...

my husband is going to Altus. He's RNTD is in March. It's a TDY in route (no surpirse there).

I have known spouses who stayed in Enid while the other went to Altus, but they lived off base, so it didn't matter if they "out processed" from Vance or not. We live on base... What's going to happened? The time is right in the middle of my school semester. Who do we talk to, to make sure (if possible) that I can stay on base? We have three huge dogs, other wise we would get an appartment off base, and call it good... but Enid is NOT dog friendly.

Thanks!

I was in a similar situation. The whole "Well Sir TDYs are unaccompanied so the AF isn't concerned with where your spose/pets live". Not exactly true but it is more difficult.

You said you were TDY Enroute. So once he outprocesses from the base you no longer have your house at Vance. Like you said if you need to stay there you can get an apartment off base. When your husband is at Altus he will be reimbursed for his room on base ($27 a day) and will still draw BAH for Enid (The benefit of TDY enroute). Theoretically he could be at Altus and you in an apartment in Enid and not have to pay out of pocket (assuming you find an apt less than your BAH). Keep in mind you will most likely need a furnished apt since the movers will already have picked up you HHGs.

Other option...have his orders changed to a TDY out and back. Not sure how easy it is but when I asked the same questions about my TDY enroute orders the folks at MPF said it could be done. Advantage...you don't outprocess from Vance until after Altus and therefore, keep your house on base with all of your HHGs. Disadvantage...you delay moving/packing 3-5 months (depending on what course he is doing) and continue to forfeit your BAH to the folks at Vance. (I have heard Enid is much better than Laughlin so maybe it is not as big of a deal to you.) Sounds like this may be your best bet. Have your husband talk to the folks cutting his orders to find out what needs to be done. If they give you the run around talk to someone else who can help you... barring any unforeseen timeline issues at AFPC, i know it can be done.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

FYI...I brought my wife and 2 Labs here with me and we live in a furnished apt off-base. It is still less than $27 a day so we will be reinbursed for all of it. (And we get BAH on top of it) Even if you do stay in Enid your husband could do the same thing so when you come to visit you could bring the dogs and have bigger place to stay with a full kitchen...a lot more room than any of the VOQs on base.

Other option...

Why is that necessary? There's no requirement for HHG to be moved prior to outprocessing the base.

Now, you may find it easier to move "as a family" if Hubby comes back from LTS (on the AF's nickel), then outprocesses, then off you go. But you can set your HHG move up for any time after you have orders in hand, and it need not be prior to outprocessing. If you want/need Hubby back to help get out of Dodge, then an out-and-back TDY is the way to go; if that's not an issue for you (or if you can't get the orders changed), you can still move when it's convenient for you. Hell, you can still have Hubby come back and move with you--but it'll be on your nickel & he'll be burning leave for any days in addition to his official travel time from LTS - Base X.

ALSO: I take it you're on base? I've never lived in base housing, so this is based on hearsay. BUT, I believe there's not even a requirement to move out of base housing in the situation you describe. Probably more complicated and must have housing office's involvement, but you can extend your move-out date to coincide w/ your actual move. If you get out-and-back orders, this is a non-issue; but it sounds like this would be the easiest way to go. Again, I have not personally done this, but I have friends who have...

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how long the current 135 initial co pilot training is?

Thanks.

From my understanding, you will do both co-pilot and pilot seat training, which is about 5 months.

Jughead:

I am staying at Vance. My husband went and spoke with Pinnacle, and they said that me staying was OK. He made them write a letter stating that, too!

• 6 months later...

Any specific recommendations on furnished apartments (or which ones to avoid) offbase? Bringing the family with me from overseas TDY enroute.

Madison Trail Apartments is nice. It's close to the base--but everything is close in Altus. Relatively new construction with a pool and grills.

• 3 months later...

Anybody have any experience with Falcon Inn & Apartments? Trying to find a two bedroom apartment in a couple weeks to avoid living on base for 3 and a 1/2 months and Madison Trail doesn't have anything available.

If this doesn't work I might just show up at 11 PM unannounced with a reservation at the Best Western...

I stayed at Enterprise Square apartments for 3+ months. A small step above Applecreek. Best part is the management. Not necessarily the brightest but you could give them 3 days move out notice and they don't care. Also rent with utilities came out to $26.50 a day.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys/gals,

Just finished reading through the whole thread, which answered a ton of questions. I am still struggling though as to what the best thing is to do as far as orders and stuff.

My wife and I are living on base at UPT and will be going TDY to Altus for KC-135 school (don't know if it is TDY enroute or if I have to come back). Is it possible for me to move out of our base house and get BAH, while still getting the TDY pay/per diem, thus getting to pocket my BAH?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Edited by Duck

for a TDY enroute, you get BAH for your previous location while banking TDY pay for the current TDY. I'm not sure if they will "start" BAH for you at your UPT base when you leave. My guess is probably no.

• 2 months later...

I just got to Altus on a TDY enroute for 135 PIQ, but the Fowler House isn't available for another month and a half. I showed up after 11 without a reservation for lodging and they gave me a 5 day non/a slip for the microtel. Is it really possible to talk them into giving you a non/a slip for the entirety of 135PIQ? Any pointers would be helpful. After looking at the apartment reviews on yahoo, everyone of them seems terrifying. Thanks for the help!

I just got to Altus on a TDY enroute for 135 PIQ, but the Fowler House isn't available for another month and a half. I showed up after 11 without a reservation for lodging and they gave me a 5 day non/a slip for the microtel. Is it really possible to talk them into giving you a non/a slip for the entirety of 135PIQ? Any pointers would be helpful. After looking at the apartment reviews on yahoo, everyone of them seems terrifying. Thanks for the help!

They did the same thing to me when I showed up in Feb. 5 days offbase, then into billeting. I know a couple reservists who tried to game it and get 16 week non-a, and they failed.

I had a buddy living in Madison Trail apartments while I was in billeting... seems like it was a little better than on base simply based off the lack of insect infestations I experienced in the TLF. Armies of moths, beetles and ants crunched underfoot each morning as I trudged to the bathroom. My buddy who lived on the ground floor in Madison Trail never dealt with that, or the hot water sporadically going out. It's at least a lateral move living off base.

Next question, where does one eat and drink at Altus? Coming from Laughlin, this place seems like a gold mine. Other than the fast food restaurants where should we eat and what should we avoid. Where should we drink and where should we avoid.

Any other current advice not attached to lodging?

Next question, where does one eat and drink at Altus? Coming from Laughlin, this place seems like a gold mine. Other than the fast food restaurants where should we eat and what should we avoid. Where should we drink and where should we avoid.

Any other current advice not attached to lodging?

Breakfast - Hands down Sunrise Cafe. Open from 6a-2p, best Mom and Pop breakfast food in the town. Get the Pile Up to cure any hangover.

Lunch - I ended up destroying some Quizno's/Taco Mayo more than any other place

Dinner - Val's on Main St has all you can eat fajitas on Tuesday nights and reasonably priced pitchers. Watch out for the 3.2% beer in OK. Ask them what they have on draft that's NOT a 3.2% beer... your choices will narrow significantly.

Edited by kenblankenship

Guest Touch & Go Rentals

Is it really possible to talk them into giving you a non/a slip for the entirety of 135PIQ? Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks for the help!

Bam,

It shouldn't be necessary to talk lodging into anything. A pretty thorough of the non-availability letter has been going on. Take a look at these two posts in particular:

• page__view__findpost__p__219225page__view__findpost__p__219225
  • page__view__findpost__p__205415page__view__findpost__p__205415

From these two messages, you'll find the non-availability letter you received entitles you to full per diem for the entire period of your TDY.

Have fun!

Pickup Taco for lunch.

There are a couple of other Mexican restaurants in town that I think are better (for what it's worth). Taqueria El Tapatio is "downtown" and serves some darned good authentic Mexican food. Their barbacoa tacos are awesome! There's a place called The Plaza that opened up recently; it's pretty good Tex-Mex fare with some surprisingly healthy options on the menu.

Any good steak house? Not really into mexican food but can eat meat and potatoes all day.

Yeah, the Backdoor Steakhouse in Blair (10 min north) is pretty good. Up a little more and across the street is All American BBQ, it's ok but the place is a shithole. In Altus you have Roma's Italian which is legit. The only big chain here is Applebee's, stay away the food isn't great and it's probably the priciest place here. There is also a little sandwich shop in the back of Crown Jewelers (don't remember the name) that is pretty good, it's only open for lunch though. The Plaza is also pretty damned good (TexMex).

There is also a little sandwich shop in the back of Crown Jewelers (Grapevine Cafe) that is pretty good, it's only open for lunch though.

If you like Pick Up Taco, rumor is La Hacienda is owned by the same folks. A few more seats and sit-down service. May have been mentioned earlier, but decent BBQ at Tommy Joe's.