UPT prep flying with private instructor

katdude

We know UPT is stressful. But it is stressful likely because the students are learning new stuff and have never done it before. I believe some of the stress can be taken off if you have prior training that is similar and therefore can perform well on rides. It is easy to do something that you have already done before.

I am interested to fly formation, low level flying, maneuvers, tactics, etc with a private instructor and a private aircraft in order to prepare better for UPT. I live in New York city, and if anyone who is/was a fighter/aerobatic pilot and lives in the area is interested to teach few lessons, I am willing to pay out of pocket.

Please PM me if anyone is interested. Thank you!

Juice/squeeze = negligible.  The vast majority of UPT students walk into IFS/UPT with very little or no experience.  Some of the best students I had were CFIIs, but they paid for hundreds of hours of training and then were getting paid to teach others; it's not something you do on your own without a significant financial investment.  A couple of the worst students I had were also CFIIs, who had a slew of bad habits and a shitty attitude.

Be a bro, study hard, and let the AF pay you for all the training you need.

• Upvote 1

There's no shortcuts dude! Also, learning itself is not a stressful activity. If there is anything I have learned so far it is that your IPs will always rise to the challenge of inducing stress and push you to your edges. You are only raising the bar by trying to skip ahead.

Getting your hands on gouge and pubs ahead of time (the 11-248 or whatever it is they use these days) is probably time well spent but nothing you can do in the civilian world flying wise will approximate the structure of a military training program. Maybe hire an instructor that likes to yell at students and tell him to beat you with a stick every time you are off parameters? That might get you pretty close.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not a pilot yet still waiting to go to UPT, but former loadmaster. If those pubs are anything like what I experienced as an enlisted aviator, they will change probably a half dozen times before you get there. I wouldn't memorize any specific numbers. But what do I know! 

If you have time/money and want to fly because you enjoy it, then do that. It’ll always add to increasing your basic airmanship. But as others have said, don’t waste one flight minute on trying to do “AF/UPT style” flying. If you don’t have much experience at a towered airport, that’s a good thing to do. Again, think about basic airmanship stuff that applies across all flying disciplines. 

Don’t waste your time or money on anything UPT related. Don’t bother studying the 11-248 either. With the way UPT is going you will get enough study time and opportunity to learn once you get there. Once you get through commissioning and IFT then start into the UPT info. Until then it’s worthless penguins on the iceberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to do anything to benefit a career in aviation, I would recommend becoming an expert at instrument flying. It doesn’t matter if you fly a Raptor, a C-5 or anything in between, good instrument skills are absolutely vital. However, given your level of experience, I wouldn’t worry about hiring a CFI for that. Just remember it down the road.

• Like 1

I was a part of the "what can i do best to prep for UPT," and like everyone else said, if you have ANY skill at time management, you'll have plenty of time to figure it out once you get here.  Enjoy life and enjoy phase 1.  Hang out with your bros and get to know them, because they'll be the ones that get you through UPT (from both a sanity and assistance standpoint).  

With that said, if you have money and time to burn, go enjoy flying just for the sake of it.  Go upside down a couple of times to see how you handle it ( I didn't handle it well, and have many a ride in the chair to show for it.) 

• Like 1