ASBC information

Guest driftsight

Guest Winning

i did a ton of golfing during ASBC...really enjoyed maxwell's two courses and driving range

isn't it a DG program now? if that's true that is retarded

didn't learn a damn thing there the whole time....actually check that...the one speaker i'm glad i heard was some crusty vietnam f-4 pilot who was a POW. that dude was legit. the rest of the time we spend learning about "leadership styles" and all the standard CBt BS.

the cherry on top was traveling to the NCO academy and having a discussion about saluting. they all swear that a 2LT should salute a 1LT every time no exceptions. :salut: pretty funny stuff.

the game on the flickerball fields was fun to play...but i had people in my group that didn't care about winning. "oh it's not all about winning LT it's about the lessons we are learning!" BS man what's the point if you're not trying to win? one dude called me a pu**y cause i nailed him (sts) with a fastball right to the face. swore i thought he was going to start crying and then his wife in the stands started yelling at me with all sorts of profanity. it was nuts and i loved the calamity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Crew Report

the cherry on top was traveling to the NCO academy

The Senior NCO Academy

and having a discussion about saluting. they all swear that a 2LT should salute a 1LT every time no exceptions. :salut: pretty funny stuff.

It's correct customs and courtesies to do so.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15

The Senior NCO Academy

It's correct customs and courtesies to do so.

Clearly a worthwhile program when such controversial issues like Lts saluting each other are debated with such passion. God only knows what type of hooligan officer I would be if I didn't salute an O2 as an O1. Shit, if I don't salute a 1LT as a 2LT then how can I be trusted to fly in combat?

• Upvote 1

Guest Crew Report

Did anyone say you're a shitty aviator because you think it's lame for a 2Lt to salute a 1Lt? No, it's just basic customs and courtesies. What kind of topics do you think are discussed in PME (O and E flavor)? I personally think it's lame that I have to salute student pilots and I'm an FTU instructor. I make more in flight pay than they do, I have WAY more hours of flying and years of flying, have more Air Medals and Combat time than they'll ever see in their career, I've been in the AF much longer than they have, etc. But....it's basic customs and courtesies and I do it because it's required and that's just how the hierarchy of how the military is set up.

I think what's also lost with you is the majority of the AF doesn't fly, they are in Security Forces, Maintenance, Logistics, etc. When I was in a MXS years ago out of 500 people, we had 5 Officers. A 2Lt/Flight Commander was a big deal and in charge of a lot of people. So seeing a 2Lt walk by a 1Lt without saluting them, seen by plenty of Enlisted personnel, is a big deal. How can you yell at a SSgt for not saluting you if you in turn think it's lamesauce to salute a 1Lt? Practice what you preach.

• Downvote 10

Guest MegaPieBoy

Can any dudes who went in the last few monthes tell me what the deal is with tests and graded assignments? And it sounds like they do stratify everyone? Thanks!

Anyone?

Guest MegaPieBoy

Yes, your shit is graded. Yes, you get racked and stacked.

Hey thanks! Your reply was super helpful. Now I know to salute the 1LTs for the first week until I pin on, and more importantly my shit is graded! Can anyone who went in the last few monthes confirm how many tests or assignments there are that are graded(and that there is a DG program) with more then "your shit is graded"? ######....thought this was an easy non controversial question.

• Downvote 1

Guest Winning

MPB chill out bro it's ASBC. you chasing stars already? just relax. you're going to be fine.

• Downvote 1

Guest Winning

I think what's also lost with you is the majority of the AF doesn't fly, they are in Security Forces, Maintenance, Logistics, etc. When I was in a MXS years ago out of 500 people, we had 5 Officers. A 2Lt/Flight Commander was a big deal and in charge of a lot of people. So seeing a 2Lt walk by a 1Lt without saluting them, seen by plenty of Enlisted personnel, is a big deal. How can you yell at a SSgt for not saluting you if you in turn think it's lamesauce to salute a 1Lt? Practice what you preach.

you make valid points and are correct that we're speaking on this topic from different perspectives.

here's my perspective...when i was in UPT half of us students were 1Lts and half of us were 2lts.

i'm not gonna be saluting my 1LT classmate buddy every time i walk by him outside. and I think you'll find that is a common practice in the pilot UPT world. probably hard to understand for outsiders looking in but makes perfect sense to me.

• Upvote 2

Guest wannabeflyer

Did anyone say you're a shitty aviator because you think it's lame for a 2Lt to salute a 1Lt? No, it's just basic customs and courtesies. What kind of topics do you think are discussed in PME (O and E flavor)? I personally think it's lame that I have to salute student pilots and I'm an FTU instructor. I make more in flight pay than they do, I have WAY more hours of flying and years of flying, have more Air Medals and Combat time than they'll ever see in their career, I've been in the AF much longer than they have, etc. But....it's basic customs and courtesies and I do it because it's required and that's just how the hierarchy of how the military is set up.

You sound like you need a beer...are you the guy who yelled at me for wearing sandals around the Deid? Lts don't salute each other because they're both Commissioned officers separated by only a few years. I think it's lost on the majority of the AF that their job is to support flying because they're too busy focusing on reflective belts and saluting regulations, push the mission, relax, and try to make life a little more enjoyable for the rest of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Discipline as well as Customs and Courtesies are important. Yes. Of course they are. But so is tradition. Something were severely lacking in as of late (were we ever not?). It is tradition that Lt's don't salute each other, atleast on the flying side of the house. If an Airman asks me why I didn't salute my classmate I'll explain that it is tradition for 2LTs to not salute 1LTs, the exception being if that 1LT is in a leadership position over the 2LT (FAIPs or my ASBC FLT/CC for example).

Now if a 1LT tells me he/she wants me to salute them then of course I will. They outrank me and if they don't want to abide the tradition then thats their business and my job to do as they say. But I have yet to find that 1LT.

• Upvote 2

Guest Crew Report

It is tradition that Lt's don't salute each other, atleast on the flying side of the house.

Copy, I've been a flyer for a few years and in flying squadrons, I understand what you're saying because I see it daily. However, SMSgt LRS guy who's at the Senior NCO Academy doesn't know this gem of information, and that's not how non-rated Officers act. So by saying off the bat Lt's don't salute each other to a bunch of non-wing wearing SNCO's you're going to get weird looks and "mentored" about how it's not right to do so.

Technique Only

Lts don't salute each other because they're both Commissioned officers separated by only a few years.

So, "only a few years" applies to Lt's?" Sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Winning

well looks like i was the one "mentoring" the seniors and expanding their leadership knowledge now doesn't it? :airman:

look overall not a big deal. my OP was that i thought it was funny how up in arms the SNCOS and the shoe LT's got over it. that was my only point.

Guest MegaPieBoy

well looks like i was the one "mentoring" the seniors and expanding their leadership knowledge now doesn't it? :airman:

look overall not a big deal. my OP was that i thought it was funny how up in arms the SNCOS and the shoe LT's got over it. that was my only point.

How much kool aid did you drink at ASBC?

Copy, I've been a flyer for a few years and in flying squadrons, I understand what you're saying because I see it daily. However, SMSgt LRS guy who's at the Senior NCO Academy doesn't know this gem of information, and that's not how non-rated Officers act. So by saying off the bat Lt's don't salute each other to a bunch of non-wing wearing SNCO's you're going to get weird looks and "mentored" about how it's not right to do so.

Technique Only

I just one look at my CAC card it my rank is only listed as "LT."

And going across service: My Army buddies inform me that 2LT's don't salute 1LT's. No if, and, or buts. They don't. Yet one is clearly a higher ranking officer.

I think it's only a big deal because certain people make it. And in the Army, there is also a big difference between a 1LT and a 2LT. I think it's just getting blown out of proportion.

If Amn Snuffy see's two LT's not salute each other and it makes that big of an impact on his outlook on military rank and bearing then I think we failed him at a much earlier point.

What about a 1LT and a Captain select? Or two Captains with grossly different dates of rank? Yea, that's really splitting hairs...but while we are paying attention to detail...why not?

Regardless, my $.02.

• Upvote 1

Guest Winning

How much kool aid did you drink at ASBC?

uh a hell of a lot less than you've been trying to swallow [sts] on this board!

i'm not much for drinking the kool-aid and smoking the pole

• Upvote 1

Hey thanks! Your reply was super helpful. Now I know to salute the 1LTs for the first week until I pin on, and more importantly my shit is graded! Can anyone who went in the last few monthes confirm how many tests or assignments there are that are graded(and that there is a DG program) with more then "your shit is graded"? ######....thought this was an easy non controversial question.

I went from Jan to March, so I can give you a recent perspective. You will have 4 graded academic assignments: a 5-min brief, a 15 min brief, a 1-page bullet paper, and a 3-page position paper. On the non-academic side you will be evaluated on the Unnofficial AFPT Test (normal PFA without waist measurement), a 5k warrior run, and of course your overall performance within the flight as graded by your flight commander.

The people that got DG in our flight were the people who really busted their butts on everything and stayed late to help out in the flight room. They also excelled in the academic portion. I would say 75-80% of people at ASBC (myself included) don't care and don't really try for DG, so it is there for the taking if you want it.

Guest MegaPieBoy

I went from Jan to March, so I can give you a recent perspective. You will have 4 graded academic assignments: a 5-min brief, a 15 min brief, a 1-page bullet paper, and a 3-page position paper. On the non-academic side you will be evaluated on the Unnofficial AFPT Test (normal PFA without waist measurement), a 5k warrior run, and of course your overall performance within the flight as graded by your flight commander.

The people that got DG in our flight were the people who really busted their butts on everything and stayed late to help out in the flight room. They also excelled in the academic portion. I would say 75-80% of people at ASBC (myself included) don't care and don't really try for DG, so it is there for the taking if you want it.

Thanks dude....exactly what I was "pinging" for!

uh a hell of a lot less than you've been trying to swallow [sts] on this board!

i'm not much for drinking the kool-aid and smoking the pole

I'm not much for drinking the kool-aid and smoking the pole either...but this one time at band camp I had SEX. WITH A GIRL! :bash: Although, I do not like kool-aid or smoking the pole, I am super nervous about going to such a challenging training program after an easy one like pilot training. Not earning DG could severely hamper my efforts and master plan for making spec ops 4 star general(a plan I'm already enacting at this point in my career). My pings didn't have anything to do with being curious about the minimum amount of work that ASBC would require.

Good STS btw! :drinking:

Edited by MegaPieBoy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I definitely recommend golfing Capitol Hill in Prattville if you're into golf. Beautiful course.

Also, it's a DG program now? That's dumb, how's that gonna affect those of us who are gonna go to Maj Boards and some Shoe looks at 2 of us from the same year group when half went to UPT first and then got DG for drinking/golfing class at Maxwell, while the rest of us did ASBC first? It really shouldn't make a difference, but I see some shoe looking at promotion boards and not even thinking (or knowing) how retarded a DG out of that program was. There was some award thing for top of the flight and stratification, but it definitely wasn't a DG program a year and a half ago.

Edited by AEWingsMN

I'm not much for drinking the kool-aid and smoking the pole either...but this one time at band camp I had SEX. WITH A GIRL! :bash: Although, I do not like kool-aid or smoking the pole, I am super nervous about going to such a challenging training program after an easy one like pilot training. Not earning DG could severely hamper my efforts and master plan for making spec ops 4 star general(a plan I'm already enacting at this point in my career). My pings didn't have anything to do with being curious about the minimum amount of work that ASBC would require.

Good STS btw! :drinking:

MegaPieBoy=DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the thread.

• Upvote 3

I understand the customs and courtesies...but the reality is, Lt's do not salute each other. It isn't lost on me, I just don't live in their world and thus I don't play by their rules. If I was a young officer maintainer and the norm was to salute ANYONE superior to me...then I probably would. The fact of the matter is I am not.

I don't need to go tit for tat on this because it's a moot point: ASBC is expensive and offers little (if any) value.

• Upvote 1

Guest MegaPieBoy

MegaPieBoy=DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the thread.

capt4fans's opinion isn't valid. Lets ignore his comment and carry on with productive posts.

• Downvote 5