Researching unit history

Square

I'm trying to do some research on the history of my squadron but I'm not having much luck. I've beeen to the AF Historical Research Agency (http://www.afhra.af.mil/) and of course Google, and it looks to me that perhaps my squadron was deactivated/reactivated in the Vietnam timeframe but I can't find much to confirm or deny.

You guys have any solid resources for AF history research? Brick, any advice?

Square

1. Go to the base historian. That's his/her job. Every base is authorized one. If the billet is empty, go to your Numbered AF and/or MAJCOM historian's office.

2. Contact the AF Historical Research Agency (or whatever they are called now) via a letter. Signed by the Sq/CC or better will work best. Horsepower = faster response.

3. PM me with the unit or post it here for everybody, there are some awfully smart people on baseops who may have something you can use. If not, maybe I can help or know somebody who can.

• Like 1

I'm trying to do some research on the history of my squadron but I'm not having much luck. I've beeen to the AF Historical Research Agency (http://www.afhra.af.mil/) and of course Google, and it looks to me that perhaps my squadron was deactivated/reactivated in the Vietnam timeframe but I can't find much to confirm or deny.

You guys have any solid resources for AF history research? Brick, any advice?

Square

Our unit has no money for a historian so it is one of my additional duties. I have a few contacts. Post the unit here or send me a PM.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the 20th Air Support Ops Squadron up at Fort Drum in NY. In doing my initial round of research I came across the 20th TASS (http://www.squawk-flash.org/20th_tass/20th_tass.htm) which given the current ASOS TACP mission I think it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to be our predecessor. That being said I haven't found anything written to support that conjecture.

Some of the other ASOS's in the 18th ASOG started life as Air Support Communications Squadrons, but I haven't seen anything about the 20th's history to support that either.

What may be part of this issue is that we support the 10th Mountain Division, which had been deactivated for a good part of the second half of the twentieth century until the Reagan Presidency. I imagine the 20th ASOS was stood up at the same time to provide support to the division.

Thanks much for any research advice.

Square

World War II Combat Squadrons of the United States Air Force: The Official Military Record of Every Active Squadron.

Author, Maurer, Maurer (no, not a typo)

USAF Historical Division, Air University, 1992

Some contenders for your 20th ASOS:

20th Bombardment, 20th Pursuit, 20th Recce, 20th Tac Recce, 20th Troop Carrier. This last one looks like it might be the granddaddy of your current unit - 20th TCS - 20th TASS - 20th ASOS.

Contact the 9th AF/HO and get them to do the research. A letter signed by your squadron commander (maybe even an e-mail) should do the trick.

If you should get the gouge, it would be interesting to know.

World War II Combat Squadrons of the United States Air Force: The Official Military Record of Every Active Squadron.

Author, Maurer, Maurer (no, not a typo)

USAF Historical Division, Air University, 1992

Some contenders for your 20th ASOS:

20th Bombardment, 20th Pursuit, 20th Recce, 20th Tac Recce, 20th Troop Carrier. This last one looks like it might be the granddaddy of your current unit - 20th TCS - 20th TASS - 20th ASOS.

Contact the 9th AF/HO and get them to do the research. A letter signed by your squadron commander (maybe even an e-mail) should do the trick.

If you should get the gouge, it would be interesting to know.

I think the 20th Pursuit turned into 20FW at Shaw.

I would say that your unit is a descendant of the 20 TASS that last operated out of Shaw AFB, SC. I say this based on the info gathered from your units public website and the dates listed there. Your unit was originally named Detachment 8, 507th Tactical Air Control Wing. The 507th was at Shaw until 1991. The 20 TASS was one of two flying squadrons under the wing. The other was the 21 TASS. They flew the A-37 and later the OV-10. It would make sense that the AF would have kept the 20 TASS history alive by moving it to Ft Drum. I do not think it is just coincidence that both your unit as Det 8 and the 20 TASS were both under the 507th TACW. It is just my opinion. I hope that helps.

I would say that your unit is a descendant of the 20 TASS that last operated out of Shaw AFB, SC. I say this based on the info gathered from your units public website and the dates listed there. Your unit was originally named Detachment 8, 507th Tactical Air Control Wing. The 507th was at Shaw until 1991. The 20 TASS was one of two flying squadrons under the wing. The other was the 21 TASS. They flew the A-37 and later the OV-10. It would make sense that the AF would have kept the 20 TASS history alive by moving it to Ft Drum. I do not think it is just coincidence that both your unit as Det 8 and the 20 TASS were both under the 507th TACW. It is just my opinion. I hope that helps.

I for sure agree with you... the timeline seems to line up very well. That being said, I have yet to see anything, including in internal squadron paperwork that substantites this idea. I was hoping that the AF historical agencies substantiated this belief. I'm going to take Brick's advice and send a letter and see what they come up with.

I understand the need to have official historical data. The folks at Maxwell are actually pretty easy to work with and seem to enjoy what they do. Call them at (334)953-2395 and tell them who you are what you are doing. They will help out.

As a side note, I stumbled on some info from one of our units C-130s. Rumor had it the aircraft was awarded two AF Crosses for a mission in Vietnam. I got in contact with the folks at Maxwell and they actually came up with the maintanence documents and the forward air controllers paperwork from Vietnam confirming the mission and the particular tail number. That is the kind of info they have at their disposal. If they can do that, they should easily connect the dots on your squadron's history for you.

I understand the need to have official historical data. The folks at Maxwell are actually pretty easy to work with and seem to enjoy what they do. Call them at (334)953-2395 and tell them who you are what you are doing. They will help out.

As a side note, I stumbled on some info from one of our units C-130s. Rumor had it the aircraft was awarded two AF Crosses for a mission in Vietnam. I got in contact with the folks at Maxwell and they actually came up with the maintanence documents and the forward air controllers paperwork from Vietnam confirming the mission and the particular tail number. That is the kind of info they have at their disposal. If they can do that, they should easily connect the dots on your squadron's history for you.

That's really cool you were able to get a hold of that info. It's great to be able to re-educate ourselves about the history and heritage of our units. Working with the Army I see daily they make an effort to tie what they're doing now to campaigns in past wars... I know there are exceptions but it seems like a lot of squadrons don't make as much of an effort.

So I emailed the AFHRA at Maxwell and our wing historian, and today I heard back from Maxwell. It turns out my assumption that we are a decendent of the 20th TASS was totally wrong. Our squadron was stood up from scratch in 1994, which would explain why I had trouble finding any squadron history prior to that point.

I replied back asking if it was ever done that a squadron in our position would "adopt" the heritage of another deactivated squadron (the 20th TASS has a cool history, see the "FACing in the Bronco" thread) and quickly received a no. As we are not a flying squadron we can not assume the lineage of a flying squadron as it one day may be reactivated and reassume a flying mission.

Just thought I'd fill you all in, thanks for the help you threw my way.

Square

As we are not a flying squadron we can not assume the lineage of a flying squadron as it one day may be reactivated and reassume a flying mission.

Square

That is not true. Take a gander at the 76th Fighter Squadron at Moody AFB as an example. That squadron has one of the most rich histories of any flying unit. Part of the famous "Flying Tigers" in WWII. It was also an A-10 unit at England AFB for years and years. It became the 76th Space Operations Squadron until recently, when it was activated again at Moody AFB. They fly the A-10 once again.

I trust and respect the views of the folks at Maxwell. I think they may be wrong this time though.

That is not true. Take a gander at the 76th Fighter Squadron at Moody AFB as an example. That squadron has one of the most rich histories of any flying unit. Part of the famous "Flying Tigers" in WWII. It was also an A-10 unit at England AFB for years and years. It became the 76th Space Operations Squadron until recently, when it was activated again at Moody AFB. They fly the A-10 once again.

I trust and respect the views of the folks at Maxwell. I think they may be wrong this time though.

I do know what you mean, as I'm aware of more than a few wings/groups/squadrons that once were flying units that now do not. I took what the historian was saying as to mean that now that we are our own squadron we could not somehow "combine" with the deactivated squadron. As it was I was thinking of more an "adoption" of lineage from a more touchy-feely standpoint. In any case, I'm going to try to work more through the wing historian than doing direct to Maxwell rather than call those dudes out.