Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Guest SuiSideburns

Guard/Reserve timeline to UPT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scott2375 said:

When it comes to NGB do they approve/deny whenever they get paperwork or are there certain times of the year where they process all packages that have come to them? Mine has been sent up but I'm just curious if I'm going to be waiting a few weeks or a few months until I hear back.

I believe they get to it when they can. I don't think there are specific boards like AD and Reserves. If you look at this page and the page before, it looks like anywhere from 1-4 months from submission to approval at NGB. Your recruiter is the one who would know.

Edited by tk1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking here because I don't think there's a better place for it, has anyone on the Reserve side sworn in before their FC1 was officially approved? Did my FC1 last week (unofficially passed, but still 3-6 weeks to official AETC-stamped approval). I talked to the 340th FTG today, there's a spot for me in one of the September OTS classes, provided I swear in before the end of this month. But I think the usual way things work is that you wait until FC1 is officially approved before swearing in. Anyone go about it differently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sforron said:

Asking here because I don't think there's a better place for it, has anyone on the Reserve side sworn in before their FC1 was officially approved? Did my FC1 last week (unofficially passed, but still 3-6 weeks to official AETC-stamped approval). I talked to the 340th FTG today, there's a spot for me in one of the September OTS classes, provided I swear in before the end of this month. But I think the usual way things work is that you wait until FC1 is officially approved before swearing in. Anyone go about it differently?

I'm just curious. How did they manage to reserve you a spot in OTS before even having your FC1? That's part of the package that gets sent up to NGB for approval, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scott2375 said:

I'm just curious. How did they manage to reserve you a spot in OTS before even having your FC1? That's part of the package that gets sent up to NGB for approval, no?

They didn't "reserve" a spot for me, rather there's a spot in one of the September OTS classes that could have my name on it, provided that I'm gained by the 340th by August 1. And I'm Reserve, not Guard, so no NGB for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sforron said:

They didn't "reserve" a spot for me, rather there's a spot in one of the September OTS classes that could have my name on it, provided that I'm gained by the 340th by August 1. And I'm Reserve, not Guard, so no NGB for me.

I thought they went through the same approval process. Excuse my ignorance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hire: December 2016

 

IFC1: May 2017

 

AFRC Board: May 2017

 

AFRC Decision Results: June 2017

 

Given Dates: Today! August 2017

 

OTS: September 2017 (18-02)

 

UPT: January 2018 @ Laughlin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guard/Prior 

Interviewed/hired: May 17

FC-1: June 17

Package sent to NGB: June 17

Approved by NGB: Aug 17

UPT: Nov 17 (Laughlin)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluesidedown said:

Guard/Prior

Interview/Hired: June 17

FC1: October 17 (Can anyone explain this??)

TFOT:???

UPT:???

Updates to come

Your flying class 1 physical is this coming October... granted you pass, then your package will go through the bureaucratic approval process, then some months later you'll get these other dates and go to training. 

And stuff just takes a long time and they are always backed up, patience will be required.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gthsd87 said:

Your flying class 1 physical is this coming October... granted you pass, then your package will go through the bureaucratic approval process, then some months later you'll get these other dates and go to training. 

And stuff just takes a long time and they are always backed up, patience will be required.

 

Yeah, I figured about a year. Just curious if anyone else had FC1 updates since the last guy only had to wait a month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2017 at 11:35 AM, bluesidedown said:

Yeah, I figured about a year. Just curious if anyone else had FC1 updates since the last guy only had to wait a month. 

I swore in mid-July and found out the following day that my FC1 date is in September.

Edited by cagg011
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bluesidedown said:

Yeah, I figured about a year. Just curious if anyone else had FC1 updates since the last guy only had to wait a month. 

Had mine 3 months after hire, but like you said I've heard varying accounts of timelines for all points in the process. They really seem to just pull them from out of the air. 

Edited by gthsd87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I waited two months between swearing in and FC1... And at that point the people working at Wright-Patt were talking about how dates were really getting stretched out due to the increase in applicants/selectees. I have my own personal theory that, since I'm >5 years away from turning 30, my NGB approval might take longer than someone else who needs to get to UPT faster. Just do what you can on your end to make it easier on those pushing your paperwork through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluesidedown said:

Yeah, I figured about a year. Just curious if anyone else had FC1 updates since the last guy only had to wait a month. 

It seems like the standard wait time is about 3 months. My group must have got hired at the right time, as all three of us (all prior service) had ours within 2 months of getting hired. 

And to clarify why my UPT date is relatively quick is because that's the only date that was needed after the FC-1. I'm already commissioned with a PPL, so TFOT/IFS exempt. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody else have their sponsored UPT apps in for the Sept AFRC board?

Based on the timelines I've been seeing - should I be optimistic about an OTS date as early as December?  Hoping I hear back by the end of the month or early October.

Currently:
Hired: Feb 2017

FC1: June 2017

Package to AFRC: Just recently!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 8/17/2017 at 12:16 AM, extender10 said:

Anybody else have their sponsored UPT apps in for the Sept AFRC board?

Based on the timelines I've been seeing - should I be optimistic about an OTS date as early as December?  Hoping I hear back by the end of the month or early October.

Currently:
Hired: Feb 2017

FC1: June 2017

Package to AFRC: Just recently!

Notified that I was selected by AFRC today!  Board met 5 and 6 Sept and today is 29 Sept.

Recruiter said they'll get me an email soon with 340th training group info and OTS info soon to follow as well.  Looks like they worked in OTS dates pretty quick this go around?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 12:16 AM, extender10 said:

Hired: Feb 2017

FC1: June 2017

Package to AFRC: Late August 2017 for 5-6 Sept board

AFRC selected: 29 Sep 2017

OTS: 9 January!

Wahoo!

So hired at squadron level 10 Feb and my OTS class starts 9 Jan. 11 months total

Edited by extender10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 1:11 PM, extender10 said:

 

Notified that I was selected by AFRC today!  Board met 5 and 6 Sept and today is 29 Sept.

Recruiter said they'll get me an email soon with 340th training group info and OTS info soon to follow as well.  Looks like they worked in OTS dates pretty quick this go around?

FYSA it's the 340th Flying Training Group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 6:00 PM, extender10 said:

AFRC selected: 29 Sep 2017

OTS: 9 January!

Wahoo!

So hired at squadron level 10 Feb and my OTS class starts 9 Jan. 11 months total

Did you swear in yet? Did the 340th mention anything about dates for inprocessing in for January class dates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my stuff was sent up to NGB August 18th. I've still yet to hear anything. I'm wondering if anyone else recently has been significantly behind the 4-5 week average? Recruiter told me 2.5 weeks ago that they had called him with a question so that tells me they were at least starting to look at it. Not sure what could take over two weeks though. I already have my TS clearance through my civilian job so I know there shouldn't be questions there. Just curious if anyone here has had their information sent through recently and how long it took.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

August 2015: Start seriously getting things together for applying to squadrons. 

December 2016: First visit to MEPS, interview with squadron, get word I'm hired. 

June 2017: Approved by AFRC board. 

July 2017: FC1 (approved exactly six weeks later).

September '17: Swear in to DEP.

December '17: Inprocessing at Randolph. 

Jan '18: OTS.

I had about two months of MEPS paperwork delays, without those I'd probably have made it into one of the September OTS classes and been almost exactly one year from hire by the squadron to arriving at UPT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guard/Prior

July 2016: Interview (Alternate candidate)

January 2017: Primary candidate/hired 

April 2017: FC1 (Approved 3 weeks later)

August 2017: Age Waiver approved 

October 2017: Package approved (Got dates 2 weeks later)

January 2018: TFOT

April 2018: UPT Columbus

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...