C-12 vs T-44 at Corpus

Wolf424

I got my RIP for Corpus the other day and saw I was going to VT-31 (which has the actual T-44). I've been told by some guys to try and get to VT-35 and do C-12s. Other than the obvious differences between the aircraft, is there and difference in training or benefits in trying to train in one over the other?

I got my RIP for Corpus the other day and saw I was going to VT-31 (which has the actual T-44). I've been told by some guys to try and get to VT-35 and do C-12s. Other than the obvious differences between the aircraft, is there and difference in training or benefits in trying to train in one over the other?

I enjoyed my time in 31, there was some debate between the students about the squadrons, but honestly I don't think there was much of a difference in training.

The C-12 is a newer plane than the 44, but the T-44C has an all new glass instrument suite. The C-12 is slightly larger and you can get a type rating upon graduation in the King Air 200. The Charlie was nice because the back up instruments were a mini version of the normal stuff (none of that no-gyro crap). If you want to go to the J model (slick or AFSOC), the Charlie is

a nice transition. If you are trying to go Es or H1s, go for the C-12. VT-31 is a larger squadron, so more chance of different IPs, not getting stuck with the same IP over and over (except your on-wing). Overall, it is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. If you get the choice (you might not get a choice), I would go with the squadron that has more of your buddies. Gouge and cooperation are key to graduating and doing well in Navy training.

Good luck and have fun on the beach.

Are you coming as a student or IP?

Student

Tunes3, thanks for the insight. I'll talk to the guys I know that are going there as well and figure it out.

edit: added response to Tunes3

Edited by TheWolf424

All the RIPs say VT-31. When you get here some dude will ask you what squadron you want. A lot of times you don't really have a choice as there are only spots left in one squadron, usually 31.

As far as less IP's, in 35 I've only flown with an IP twice 3 times total the entire time I've been here and I'm getting close to being done. I kinda prefer the smaller squadron atmosphere as well, but some guys like the big squadron.

31 tends to schedule guys for whatever they are opted, wheras 35 tends to finish a block before scheduling for new events. Both have their pluses, but I definitely prefer the 35 scheduling.

You also get to leave the local area for contact rides in 35 because we have a lot more fuel in the TC-12, and can go a bit faster. In 31 you fly pretty much the same profile every ride through contact. In instruments though, you all go to the same places.

plus everything that was said above.

Not many differences between the squadrons but there are a few.

Edited by MCO

I'd go 31 just for the low-level/tac phase. In my class, all the guys from 35 said their IPs stuck to the route, everything by the book, and it sucked. In 31, however, once you demonstrate knowledge of the basics, most IPs just have fun, i.e. flying wherever the hell they/you want. Low-level in the 44 was by far the most fun I had in pilot training.

I'd go 31 just for the low-level/tac phase. In my class, all the guys from 35 said their IPs stuck to the route, everything by the book, and it sucked. In 31, however, once you demonstrate knowledge of the basics, most IPs just have fun, i.e. flying wherever the hell they/you want. Low-level in the 44 was by far the most fun I had in pilot training.

2, The checkride route through the hill country is awesome.

To answer stract, being in 35 doesn't change your chances of getting the MC/RC-12, because all of the studs in both 31 and 35 come together at their assignment meeting and pick what they want in NSS rank order.

2, The checkride route through the hill country is awesome.

To answer stract, being in 35 doesn't change your chances of getting the MC/RC-12, because all of the studs in both 31 and 35 come together at their assignment meeting and pick what they want in NSS rank order.

3 on the tacform checkride, by far the best ride in pilot training. Having just come from Corpus, I can say that I enjoyed my time with VT-31. 31 seemed to have more maintenance problems (lots of times we had no aircraft to fly). I think part of it was the transition from A model to C model (I was A model btw). It was also curious to see that VT-31 guys finished higher than VT-35 guys. May have been just a coincidence, but its hard to say. Other than that, enjoy your time at Corpus! Live on the island, go to the beach and party it up at Pelicans on the weekends.

3 on the tacform checkride, by far the best ride in pilot training. Having just come from Corpus, I can say that I enjoyed my time with VT-31. 31 seemed to have more maintenance problems (lots of times we had no aircraft to fly). I think part of it was the transition from A model to C model (I was A model btw). It was also curious to see that VT-31 guys finished higher than VT-35 guys. May have been just a coincidence, but its hard to say. Other than that, enjoy your time at Corpus! Live on the island, go to the beach and party it up at Pelicans on the weekends.

I think the 31 vs 35 ranking is coincidence. In my class, #1 was TC-12, #2 was T-44C, #3 was T-44A. It varies.

That's weird...the civilian BE-200 does not require a type. Did they add a bunch of stuff to them to push them over the 12,500 MGTOW.

There is the passenger version of the BE200, which is rated for 12,500 pounds, which is what most civilians have. The cargo version can have up to 13,500 pounds, but is restricted past 12,500 pounds. The TC-12 is the cargo version.

Edited by MCO

The comparisons used for calculating your NSS are based off students in each respective squadron. So -35 dudes are compared to previous -35 studs, and vice versa. Its all about timing, and hoping you get an On Wing who is Santa Claus with the grades. But really both squadrons have their advantages and disadvantages, I'd recommend -35 if you have the option. But ultimately both squadrons are gonna get you your wings!

Its all about timing, and hoping you get an On Wing who is Santa Claus with the grades.

Rumor coming through the grapevine was that they were going to do away with the on wing thing in order to prevent one guy from having all grades from a santa vs a guy who gets a hammer. Any truth or updates on this?

Doing the contact training at Orange Grove vs. Cabaniss always seemd like a good deal to me. It's been a while now, but I remember that the one day we had to stay local for our contact work (wx must have socked in the south) the "MOA" they use off the coast and the 3 transition fields were super crowded w/ tower calling every base turn, multiple go-arounds for proximity, etc. whereas in the C-12 we would have the area all to ourselves, then head down to Orange Grove and be one of 2 or 3 in the pattern. It went quicker and I felt like i learned more.

Honestly though, above all I'd reccomend going in on a house on the island w/ a couple dudes and just make sure you are in the same squadron as them. Even a better deal if they are a class ahead of you!

Honestly though, above all I'd reccomend going in on a house on the island w/ a couple dudes and just make sure you are in the same squadron as them. Even a better deal if they are a class ahead of you!

I'm married, but I hear the island is the way to go, regardless. Thanks for the advice.

I'm married, but I hear the island is the way to go, regardless. Thanks for the advice.

I was married there, my on base house was stumbling distance to free booze every other Friday...there is nothing special about the island, and on base you can wake up 5 min before work...and still go to the island when you want. Then again, like everyone said, pretty much every decision there is 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other.

Whatever you do, don't live on base. Privatized housing sucks here more than usual.

HerkDude made a good point, with 35 you will get to see more airfields/course rules and deal with less traffic. Personally, I can't think of anything that would make 35 worse than 31 so get here early and see if its available. Either way corpus is the way to go.

Guest Hueypilot812
I was going to VT-31 (which has the actual T-44).

Which squadron has the fake T-44s? Sorry dude, couldn't resist!

Good luck with either choice. I was a T-1/C-21 guy prior to Herks, so I wouldn't know one way or the other. I'm sure either squadron will be fun, because it's all Navy training!

I was married there, my on base house was stumbling distance to free booze every other Friday...there is nothing special about the island...

...other than living on the water and being 2 minutes from the beach. It was weird how everybody who didn't live on the island would always come out to our house to party...but we were single.

It's been a while since I went though (10+ years). Do they still do the coupla' flights with fingertip formation and practice photo runs overflying ships in the bay?

...other than living on the water and being 2 minutes from the beach. It was weird how everybody who didn't live on the island would always come out to our house to party...but we were single.

It's been a while since I went though (10+ years). Do they still do the coupla' flights with fingertip formation and practice photo runs overflying ships in the bay?

Only for the future P-3 guys I think. Not too many Hercs out there to vis-ID of ocean going ships.

Only for the future P-3 guys I think. Not too many Hercs out there to vis-ID of ocean going ships.

You still have the VFR recovery from the contact areas where you overfly the oil tankers going into the bay, if you wanted to do that sort of thing.

Edit: Realized that it maybe hard to do a fingertip photo op when you are single ship, beer maybe effecting my judgment on that one.

Edited by EnriquePallazo