PJ/Pilot

Bdc866

I was wondering since PJs and pilots probably have the highest adrenaline jobs in the military, and they're related in that way, have any of you current pilots ever considered PJ (before commissioning)?

I know a lot of guys have tunnel vision about flying (not in a negative way) but maybe some of you found some interest in pararescue when you were in college or even before.

Just food for thought.

:flag_waving:

Definitely a cool job and very rewarding I'm sure, but flying is my thing and I don't think I could see myself seriously doing the PJ type thing. It's way too much for someone who doesn't have 100% of their heart in it.

we had a casual who turned down his pilot slot a week before class start date to go become a CRO. The AF tried to kick him out for turning down his UPT slot, but he prevailed and is damn good at his job these days.

Guest Grey

A few years ago I got really interested in it and there was a guy in my det who had already gone to Phase 2, was going to go again before commissioning. I started training insane amounts and did some of the pool stuff with him. If you don't like the sense of drowning, I wouldn't suggest doing it. You have to be extremely comfortable in the water and just extremely dedicated.

I got really fit and got pretty good at the pool stuff, but then he passed and I lost interest. Basically, unless you are 100% dedicated and willing to put in the effort and make the sacrifices, don't do it. You can't look to anyone else to help you get there because the drive has to come from you alone or you just won't make it. I stuck to what I joined ROTC for and went after pilot. So that's my story...

2 to all the above.

I helped my buddy train for Phase 2 (he ended up getting hypothermia on day 7 and had to leave) and knew that that shlt wasn't for me lol, esp. the underwater. Major kudos to those dudes, they'll get a beer everytime I'm in the bar. It's pretty awesome to know that there a whole group of dudes willing to risk their lives to pull your pretty pink body out of whatever trouble you get in to. I read a book called "That Other's May Live" which has some pretty awesome stories. One that sticks out: He was telling about doing freefall jumps into stadiums for ballgames ect. and when asked why is was so hard he said, "put a cheerio on the ground, now take 10 steps back, that's what the stadium looks like when you first jump."

:beer:

Typically, one or the other would be your over-riding first choice, but there have been some exceptions. There have been a couple of PJs who have gone to OTS and then become pilots, including Dave Ruvola (NYANG), the pilot of the -60 that ditched in "Perfect Storm". Matt Shozda, who was a -53 pilot, later became a CRO and squadron commander. We've had a couple of navs who have seriously looked into becoming CROs, but none have made it to the pipeline yet.

CROs are pretty new, but Special Tactics was always an option -- but both fields are very small, extremely competitive, and ridiculously demanding. Great guys.

Oh, and "3"

Guest JorryFright21

I'd switch right now if they'd let me, but Rescue is so undermanned that there's no way on earth they'd ever let me out to become a CRO. I do triathlons right now, and train with them whenever our schedules permit. It's a lot of work!

Guest Grey
I'd switch right now if they'd let me, but Rescue is so undermanned that there's no way on earth they'd ever let me out to become a CRO. I do triathlons right now, and train with them whenever our schedules permit. It's a lot of work!

Why would you rather be a CRO instead? I guess you've seen firsthand for there to be a reason, so what would make you want to change? Just curious...

Before doing rotc I was in the process for going combat control (enlisted). The ending decision to stop that was going for pilot and finishing my degree.

I got into rotc and saw a hand full of dudes who wanted CRO or STO. Not one of them got it and I knew that would happen from the first time I talked to each one of them about it. When you get the response that they've had little to no swimming experience you know they won't make it.

I did swim team for years in my younger life and I will tell you, the swimming portion for SO isn't something you can work up to easily. You MUST be a great swimmer with a big lung capacity or your going to get flushed. That simple.

I work out sometimes with a guy at the gym by my house who was para rescue and he said their were times in training where you literally drowned because of the intensity. There was only 40 guys in his class and only 5 graduated. The biggest flush was in the water training.

He said it was the best times of his life but also the most dangerous. Eventually he had to switch fields (AF fire fighter) because he got a girl pregnant and has a daughter that needs a daddy.

Being good at running on a track won't get you far in the SO field. If your getting a 9 flat on your 1.5 mile run, don't think your a candidate. Its about water and being able to survive in it.

Big props to the SO community. They are deployed year round and deal with the worst of it all. Its a very select program for a reason.

Nice to hear everyone's take.

stract are you a hh-60 pilot? Must be pretty cool watching guys fast rope out the back of your helo

You can't see what's going on the back of the helo when you're up front, unless you slew the FLIR around, and even then you'd only catch the second or two it would take for the PJ to enter the screen and leave the screen as he slides down the rope, or jumps out (free fall), or whatever. I have been in the back of the helo and seen some fast ropes.

Looking at my profile would answer your question.

Guest JorryFright21
Why would you rather be a CRO instead? I guess you've seen firsthand for there to be a reason, so what would make you want to change? Just curious...

Just more my style. Wasn't entirely possible yet to become a CRO when I first started. Being a pilot in the 60 is awesome though. Don't get me wrong. I'd just rather be helping out on the ground after I've jumped out of the bird. STO would be even better. I guess I should also mention that being a CRO/STO isn't as cool as being a PJ though. The O's take a back seat to the E's in PJlandia. That's a good thing.

Guest Kamikazekent

I was really close to going PJ. I was training for SEAL basic when I talked to some Air Force guys who convinced me it would be more up my alley. I agree with what others have said, in that you can come in with your 4 min mile and 100 one-arm pushups in a minute and you can still be destroyed by the swim portion.

To comment on the original poster's question, I was basically looking for a job with some danger/intensity/adrenaline, but I knew that whatever I did I would always be looking to the sky, so pilot was my ultimate choice.

Guest Kamikazekent

Yes BUD/S...I got used to saying "basic" cause people made the connection that it was the beginning of training without me having to explain the Acronym. Now I just avoid people all together so I don't have to answer the question "when do you leave for the Air Force...."

Not for me. I got rolled for swimming at nav school.

I did have a buddy that was going to be a CRO, but he hurt his ankle, needed surgery and everything, and now he's a B-1 WSO. Guy does Crossfit religiously, and never bitches about any of the exercises. The harder it is, the more he enjoys it.

• 14 years later...