Peterson AFB/Colorado Springs info

Guest Flow777

Guest Flow777

I will be moving to the Peterson AFB area this summer and have questions about living there.

1) I'm giving my car to my younger brother and am shopping for a "new" used one. Do you HIGHLY recommend getting some type of 4WD since it snows there most of the time? Note that I'm a California boy who has never driven in the snow!

2) I'm also looking for apartments in the area. What places do you recommend? I'm willing to commute 20 mins (tops) from home to base.

Thanks!

Unlike many areas of the country where everyone freaks out when it snows, the Springs does a pretty good job clearing roads. I did just fine in my front-wheel drive Honda. A good SUV would come in handy to load everybody up for a ski trip, however...

I lived at Epernay (Union/Woodmen) for about six months, and it was pretty nice and centrally located (17 minutes to base) -- but that was ten years ago.

Good luck, and enjoy

Flow,

1: 4 wheel drive- Having one will help, especially if it's your first time driving in the snow. They do handle better of course. And if nothing else it will give you some confidence. Just don't get over confident. And as a side note the best way to learn how to drive in the snow is to find a parking lot filled with it and purposely lose control so you know how it feels. It's not as hard as you might think to learn. If you can't find a good 4 wheel drive I would definitely lean towards the front wheel drive.

2: As far as apartments try rent.com with these zip codes.

Zip's immediately around Peterson: 80914, 80916, 80925, 80910

Zip's close to Peterson: 80906 (Broadmore Area), 80903, 80907, 80909 (All three downtown)

Zip's up north but still within 20 mins: 80915, 80917, 80918, 80920, 80922

It shouldn't be a problem to find an apartment in one of those with the ameneties and some kind of location that you're looking for.

If you come across a specific apartment in your search PM me and I'll ask around to see if anyone's ever lived there and will get back to you.

Also if you're planning on being here for three years the housing market is pretty easy to get into and start building some equity (just a side note.)

Good luck. Springs is a nice area if you like Mountains and Snow.

[ 25. April 2006, 12:14: Message edited by: egochecks ]

Guest flecth033

Flow,

It does not snow that much in the Springs where you would need a 4 wheel drive. It snows a "good" 4 times a year in Colorado unless you live in the mountains. . A 4 wheel drive is not needed but if you want to get one it won't hurt. Just about everywhere in the Springs is 20 minutes from Peterson.

Do what egocheck said and look around. I would try to stay away from some of the southern areas near Ft. Carson. Epernay apartments where dmeg is talking about are nice ( I used to live there, and parents live a couple miles away)but there are new sites off Powers blvd which is a great route to Peterson.

Egocheck is right on with the housing market. Denver is getting expensive but the Springs is good with prices and new housing coming up. The springs is also real good with renting and selling your house in the future because of the bases and its growth.

Definitely check out all the new apartments popping up on Powers. They're really nice and about 5 min from base. Powers has really built up in the last few years...you'll be centrally located for pretty much everything good in the Springs. There's a bunch of stuff on Powers and you won't be too far from "downtown."

Guest Aflyer

I grew up in Denver, and learned to drive with front-wheel drive. I will argue that for the inexperienced snow driver, FWD is a better choice than 4WD. If you can find one, all wheel drive (not the same as 4WD) is the best choice by far. The statement that it only snows 4 times a year in CO is garbage. It doesn't come down like it does on the east coast, but you will get snow a fair amount. It has been very dry the last couple years (drought conditions), but the moisture is coming back, and the snow with it. However, they do a good job of clearing the snow overnight, and unless you get caught in the storm, you should be alright with any sort of vehicle.

Again, AWD is the best choice if you can find it. but it's not necessary.

Guest Hydro130

"2" for AWD.

Front wheel drive is the minimum (rear wheel drive in rain/snow is nothing but evil). 4WD is nice, but with gas prices what they are and all... well, you know. An SUV is definitely not a requirement to have, so unless you have many kids and/or toys, I'd stay away fom 'em just from a purely fiscal perspective.

Subaru makes a fine AWD automobile in many flavors. I have an Outback Sport wagon and I love it! Sure-footed as a mountain goat in all weather conditions, good ground clearance for the muddy, rutted-out fire roads, etc (mountain biking), and with a good roof rack, plenty o' room for all of yer toys. Good gas mileage to boot...

AWD is being offered now by a lot of manufacturers, so I'd check that out as the primary option.

Best wishes!

Hydro

Correction: figured "$WD" might be confusing...

[ 25. April 2006, 14:55: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

Guest RaptorKeeper

I lived in Colorado for 6 years... C-Springs, Breckenridge, and Boulder. I had a 2WD pickup (rear wheel) and I had to mess with Sand bags and all that crap in the bed to keep from fish tailing... it sucked... But DMEG is right, the roads get cleared pretty quick.

I'd recommend a 4WD SUV, Truck, or Front wheel drive car. Stay away from overpowered mustang, corvette, camaro types. They were terrible in that environment.

Guest flecth033

Oh ya, Front wheel drive is recommended as is AWD.

The statement that it only snows 4 times a year in CO is garbage.

-AFlyer55

Read my post:

It snows a "good" 4 times a year in Colorado unless you live in the mountains.

"Good" meaning anything needing a 4WD or anything leaving snow on the ground for more than a couple days. It can snow one hour and be sunny the next.

Unless you hit the Mountainzzzzzz "You're in the wrong state, get yourself a new map"

Flow-

You should consider renting a house instead of an apartment. There are tons of houses for rent that are withing 20 min from the base, and that means that the prices are quite right. I'm currently renting a house built in 2000, 1700 square feet, 3 BR, A/C, for less than $1K. Just a thought.

4WD is not needed around town here. Anything with FWD would be fine...or, RWD with snow tires.

By the way, you'll love CO. I wish I could live here longer!!

Guest Aflyer
Originally posted by flyguy:

Oh ya, Front wheel drive is recommended as is AWD.

The statement that it only snows 4 times a year in CO is garbage.

-AFlyer55

Read my post:

It snows a "good" 4 times a year in Colorado unless you live in the mountains.

"Good" meaning anything needing a 4WD or anything leaving snow on the ground for more than a couple days. It can snow one hour and be sunny the next.

Unless you hit the Mountainzzzzzz "You're in the wrong state, get yourself a new map"

I know what the weather does there, I lived there for 18 years. It can also snow one hour and still be snowing the next 3 days. It can snow in January or June or August. You just never know. I still think your statement about snowing a good 4 days a year is misleading.

[ 25. April 2006, 19:15: Message edited by: AFlyer55 ]

I lived on the north end of town and it still only took about 15-20 to get to peterson, with powers open all the way now, it's very easy to get to either base. As was said, there are some very nice places off powers. Also there's some nice and inexpensive homes very close to Peterson, I lived on Lewis lane for awhile, and found the neighborhood to be very cool. We had a neighbor who would ride his dirt bike over to bullshit with us and another who's kid would hide in the bush to watch us wrench on our bikes.

Guest Flow777

Thank you all for your input.

So here's my current assessment of what was said so far:

1) I'm glad I'm getting rid of my Camaro! I was looking into a 4WD SUV but it doesn't seem to be a smart financial decision. I will start looking into AWD and FWD cars.

With FWD, would I need to have chains on while driving?

2) Buying a house. I would love to get in the market but I don't know how long I will be at Peterson. I'm only there for casual before UPT (No UPT date yet).

Would you still recommend that I buy a house?

3) Renting a house. I'm a single guy fresh out of college and AFROTC (Commissioning June 30th!). I'm tired of roommates and I want to try out being on my own. Moreover, I don't have a lot of toys because I've been broke but I presume that'll change pretty soon.

Would I be able to rent a "small" house with the BAH alone? Would you still recommend that I rent a house or just go with an apt?

4) This should probably be another thread but I just want a quick answer if it's available:

I don't have a PPL so I assume I'll be one of the first people to go through IFS in Pueblo, CO (run by Doss Aviation). Anything new on this topic? When will it begin, etc?

Good day!

Guest Hydro130

No chains for FWD/AWD/4WD... You won't need chains... Throw a bag of kitty litter in the trunk for good measure. Works wonders...

Hydro

Yeah, don't worry about the chains.

If you're only here on casual just get an apartment. You definately don't want to be buying a house in that amount of time. Also if you don't want roomates don't rent a house either (IMO.)

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think that they'll have Pueblo ready for the IFS program yet.

Guest Flow777

OK. Here are the aparments I'm considering:

-Creekside at Palmer Park. VERY close to Peterson AFB but over the BAH (not too much of a big deal to me). New apartments, off of N Powers Blvd. Definitely numero uno on my list!

-Resort at University Park. About 11 miles from base. Again, over the BAH for a 1 bedroom.

-Champions at Norwood. Rent.com says this is within 8 miles from base but I couldn't see it on Google maps. Good pricing though. The BAH covers a 1 bedroom.

-Oasis Apartments. 12 miles from base but sounds nice and affordable.

-Talon Hills Apartments. Sounds nice but getting relatively far from base.

Any recommendations/comments on living in these apartments?

By the way, how much is gas in Colorado Springs? Are you all being robbed there just as bad as we are here in California?

Great Day!

Guest IhateAFSPC

creekside is where all the single officers from my squadron that haven't bought a house/townhome/condo live. I don't think it's over your BAH but it may be now.

[ 29. April 2006, 20:50: Message edited by: IhateAFSPC ]

Flow,

University Park- I can't seem to find anyone who's lived there but I think they're pretty nice.

Champions at Norwood- Those are on Dublin I think. Those are nice. I've known two people who have lived there and have been there several times. Nice kitchens with a kind of island layout so it's open. Big bathrooms and closests. A nice pool as well I believe.

If I hear more about any of these I'll let you know.

Guest Flow777

Ego,

Thanks for your help.

I was asking about the sales tax. Colorado is almost as bad as it is here in Cali.

As for an apartment, I'll most likely end up at Creekside. I like how it's new and very close to base. Haven't hear much bad stuff about it either.

How long are you at Peterson Ego? Are you on casual there too?

Holla back!

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is almost 2 years old but I'm supposed to be headed out to Peterson soon and had a question. I'm a graduating senior in ROTC and they told me my first duty station will be Peterson and that I'm working in the 853d Electronics Group. One of the staff at our Detachment spent 8 years as a Personnellist at Peterson and said she doesn't remember there ever being an 853d there. From the research I can find looking at the units online I don't see anything about it either and I show that the 853d is up in Hanscom. Hanscom was my first choice for base preference and Peterson was my second choice so I would be happy at either but it seems like they combined the two. Is anybody on here still at Peterson or been to Peterson recently that could enlighten me as to what I might be missing? My Detachment is "looking into it" but their track record for timely responses isn't very good so I thought I'd ask here.

Peterson's web site is not showing anything on the 853d Electronics Systems Group (note it is not the 853d Electronics Group, but Electronic Systems Group! Search on that name and you will get more info, such as this). Might be a small detachment or just a liaison office for the 21st Space Wing. Here is the fact sheet for the 653d Electronic Systems Wing, under which the 853 ESG falls, which included the following...

The 853d Electronic Systems Group executes a $2.6 billion Fiscal Year Defense Plan budget with 260 personnel. The group acquires, fields and sustains mission critical fixed and deployable airborne, space and ground-based Communication, Navigation, Surveillance/Air Traffic Management and landing systems. The group also certifies CNS/ATM systems to meet warfighting requirements for access to global airspace vital to AF Global Attack, Rapid Global Mobility and joint operations worldwide.

Your job may be supporting that one aspect of the mission I highlighted.

Wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, you'll find out soon enough what you are expected to do. In the mean to, focus on getting to where you are suppose to go...but if you are really itching to find out, you could always try calling the Electronic Systems Center Public Affairs office at: (781) 377-3912.

Cheers! M2