UPT journals

Guest Smokey637

Guest Smokey637

does anyone know of any good active UPT journals on the web, right now. I used to read a few but with the hectic schedule of UPT they sort of dried up. Thanx.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lovelacm

Happy Friday, Folks...

Just a quick note here to add my Journal back to the list-o-stuff out there on the Net for the newbies coming through the system.

I'm an old CAFB 02-03 / NAS CC 01-46 guy in the process of pulling my journal entries out of my old SUPT Website Database (took down the site after a good friend died at his first assignment) and throwing them on my personal website.

Kinda interesting to go back and read my thoughts and such during those crazy days.

http://www.ecalevol.com/3colhed_weblog.php?id=C0_5_1

If you get to my main site and can't find the journal.. look on left side under Categories.. click on the SUPT Journal.. entries are listed from most recent backwards.

Cheers!

• 6 months later...
Guest POL_Pilot

Instead of starting a new journal thread I decided to ressurect this one. Does anyone have any new journals to post here?

Scoobs,

Yes, but it's not as bad as he made it out to be.

You get graded in subcategories on your flights and sims. These are the MIF grades. That stands for Maneuver Index File or something likr that. These categories range from your mission planning to your preflight to any maneuvers required on that flight, to your Emergency Procedure scenarion and your General Knowledge.

The grades are U (Unsat/unable), F (Fair), G and E. When you accomplish an item, you will be graded against the standards. Each standard lists tolerances for airspeed, time limits, etc, depending on what it is. If you are not within the standard, you will get a fair or an unsat for that area. To advance to the next block of training, your solo or your checkride, the MIF required will typically be a "Good" (Maybe a Fair in the beginning, I think your landings needed to be a Fair level before your initial solo) and you will need to attain that level of proficiency by your end of block ride to advance.

Which leads me to my point, if you are doing your very first simulator at UPT, what are the chances that you will be able to do your preflight, takeoff, fly approaches and land to the level of the standards? Not very good, which is why he was marked Unsat in those categories, but got a "Good" overall grade. He did not Unsat the flight. Nobody will fault you for that.

Where you will get faulted is for continued substandard preflights, mission planning, Emergency Procedures and General Knowledge. These are things you can control. You can practice preflights from day 1 in the cockpit procedures trainers (bamboo bombers). These are mockups of the T-37 cockpit, so you can go through and visualize everything and flip the switches in the right order to get the memory thing going. Mission Planning, EP and GK is also a measure of how much effort you are putting into it, and how much you are working with your classmates.

Finally, few people will get the Good or Excellent grades on all of their items until just prior to their checkrides. The reason is (and I'm a little fuzzy, but you'll get the idea), that once you achieve the required MIF grade, if you do not perform to that level on subsequent rides, you will regress, and that generates paperwork. So, if you have ten rides to achieve a Good landing, and you grease it on ride three, you probably still won't get above a Fair until you demonstrate continured profiiency. Not a knock on you, it protects you from unwanted ass-pain.

The perfect example of this is the first few rides in formation. The MIF is either a Fair (IP intervention was only needed a few times to not kill yourself) and sometimes even an Unsat. If you get a fair on everything in your first few rides, you will probably get a Good or Excellent grade overall, because you're at the level they expect you to be.

Guest Clemsonpilot

Sup fellas...thanks POL_Pilot for the link. I looked at my stats and saw this today:

thanksbaseops.JPG

Glad the site can help people see what UPT is like. Shoot me an email if anyone has any questions.

[ 24. March 2005, 21:11: Message edited by: Clemsonpilot ]

Guest POL_Pilot

Wow Clemsonpilot,

You mean just by endorsing your site, it tripled the number of visitors! Ha beat that Micheal Jordan. Thanks for putting together a great website and helping us future studs a heads up on things.

I had a UPT journal back before they were vogue, and I caught a metric sh*t-load of stuff like this for my website, too.

I never understood a couple of things;

First, why were people who were *all ready* USAF pilots unwilling to help those of us who wanted to become one?

Second, once I started putting up a journal website *specifically intended* to help people (wanna-bes like me) out, why did guys who were all ready USAF pilots give me a load of crap about it?

For some reason, some pilots get pretty high on their horse once they're 'in the club', and it makes them feel better trying to squash the little guy. I guess these people have forgotten why we refer to each other as 'bros' in the first place.

Personally, I say go for it.

As always, I'll add in my public service announcement to remind people that if you put yourself out there, you have to be prepared to take what comes with the territory. Not only do you put a target on yourself for petty criticism like you saw linked, but also (in my case) an OSI/IG investigation and even attempts to be contacted by foreign intelligence agents.

Be smart about whatever you do.