USAF vs USMC/Marine Aviation

Guest Mumphy24

I've got a bunch of time flying as a Nav on Marine Herks and the idea of being pulled off of a flying spot to go "storm beaches" is crazy. Granted, after your first or second flying stint (3 years a piece) you'll probably have to do a year w/ the MEU as a sort of "Air Liason Officer", but you won't be storming beaches. It is true that you are a Marine first, but that entails more of how you carry yourself, staying fit, uniforms look good, haircut every week, and saying a lot of funny words like "Aye Aye" and "scuttlebutt" and "bulkhead". I absolutely loved my time in the Marines and the only reason I'm doing AF is 'cuz they offered me a 4 year full-ride. PM me if you have any more ?'s.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by Harabek:

The Marine Corps will guarantee a pilot slot for me in their corps... the AF does not.

I've got a bud who took the "guaranteed" route, and like everyone was saying, he was a marine first, so they yanked it! Be careful and read all the fine print. Make sure they're not just giving you false hope to get you to sign up.

Might want to see if you can find any statistics on how many people actually get the "guaranteed" slot vs. losing it when they think they're all set. It really isn't that hard to get a slot out of ROTC. I'm not sure what TUG is talking about saying that ROTC won't do it for you. Maybe something's changed in the last couple of months.

Guest Harabek

Alright thanx for the advice. I'm not too thrilled with the Air Force because of recent long term encounters with them. I don't really want to get involved with the AF again unless I have to... I have met my share of officers on the flightline and in offices and I have found that all of them were pricks. Most of the guys I graduated highschool with 3 yrs ago are at this ROTC, and I know they are bumbs and the ROTC institution is a joke (at least the instructors are). But anyways thanx for the advice.

Guest flecth033
I'm not too thrilled with the Air Force because of recent long term encounters with them. I don't really want to get involved with the AF again unless I have to...
Harabek, I think its time you go to airwarriors.

I have met my share of officers on the flightline and in offices and I have found that all of them were pricks. Most of the guys I graduated highschool with 3 yrs ago are at this ROTC, and I know they are bumbs and the ROTC institution is a joke (at least the instructors are). But anyways thanx for the advice.

Dude, WTF is this. There are some prick officers, and there are some ROTC bums, and ROTC is a little ridiculous at times; but the point is, don't bash everyone if you've never even been there. I have met some GREAT officers in ROTC, rated and not. I have also had some really great Cadre (sts) that have really taught me a lot about the Air Force and life in general. Don't be so quick to assume you've figured out the game, because that shit just isn't true.

Guest jmac2222

Biggest difference to me (and I've been in both the AF and USMC), is the attitude taken towards flyboys.

The Air Force controls the sky and dominates the Earth. The pilot is the king and having the best technology and pilots is the primary goal of the entire force.

The USMC is America's general purpose 911 force. They are jack of all trades and masters of none. They fight in the air, on the land, and in the sea. Their primary mission however is on the ground. Grunts are the Kings in the USMC. If you are a pilot you are important, but in the end you are just another POG so deal with it!

Guest Xtndr50boom

I have met my share of officers on the flightline and in offices and I have found that all of them were pricks.

Don't stereotype AF officers guy. I'd guesstimate only about 90-95% of our officers are pricks. Seriously though, what kind of background were these O's? Fighter, bomber, tanker, office homo?

Guest phrogpilot

Fly Marines. I too was in your same shoes and was shopping for an air contract. The Navy and Air Force both told me to "pound sand" as I was not the 5.0 on a 4.0 gpa scale Nuclear Engineer. I was also attracted to the Marine Corps as the Academy grads are typically frowned upon as being immature and were not always the best officers (there have been exceptions). I now knew I had fair chance for promotion. The USMC was the best thing for me and I received some bona fide leadership skills. As for the aforementioned drama of getting yanked from your beloved cockpit (as it is not always about you and your desires but serving your Marines as well as your country), becoming a Forward Air Controller will make you a better pilot. Working with the grunts, you will appreciate what they do and your recce will be heads above your peers as well as your tactical profociency (esp with CAS). I was in the Marine Corps for ten years as a pilot and not once did I serve with the grunts as much as I wanted to become a FAC (I volunteered but I was too valuable in operations dept). The best time I had in the USMC was not flying but TBS. The school was fun for me and I enjoyed every aspect, although I have always enjoyed the outdoors regardless of the temps and have survived temps ranging from minus 40 degrees F to 132 degrees F. I have been around the world and seen things the fastmover folks envy. You will most likely get Helos as 2/3 of the inventory is rotary wing and 1/3 fixed wing. But every A/C in the Marine Corps is tactical. Furthermore, once you depart the Marine Corps every other service will entertain your commission (i.e. it is much more difficult to go from USAF to USMC/USMCR than it is to go from USMC to USAF/UASAFR). Remember anybody can fly an aircraft, but very few can really lead, be it a flight or a platoon of Marines, and that is what is desired. Leadership.

I have some bad issues with the Air Force
Harabek

Do us all a favor and go join the Marines...it sounds like you already have the attitude, and with it the USAF doesn't want you back. I have great respect for the Corps, we have a lot of Marines here at SHAPE (to include the former Commandant, Gen Jones) and I find them to be impressive officers and NCOs. But they are a completely different breed of cat compared to the USAF.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience in the Air Force, I have also met a lot of assholes in my 24 years of enlisted/Reserve/AFROTC and commissioned time, but for the most part I have enjoyed the experience and would strongly advocate it to most people. However, based on your comments, you aren't one of them.

Goodbye and good luck!

Cheers! M2

Guest Harabek

No disrepsect. Thanx for all your info. I was a b-1 crewchief at Dyess (Made DCC!)

Im sure you are right and hopefully this detachment is just backwards.

No disrespect to anyone, and I hope c17 is right... ya Im at airwarfare...thanx again for your help.

[ 02. May 2005, 21:57: Message edited by: Harabek ]

Guest phrogpilot

Oh yeah, you will also find a$$holes in the USMC. I just reread my post and I apologize if I insulted any the Officers in the USAF. I might be a bit of a revisionist. The USMC was good for me and the USAFRes have even been better. The only attitude I do take offense to is the one where persons feel slighted when asked to serve and they display an attitiude.

Guest Rainman A-10

USAF officers are @ssholes. USMC officers are nice.

I like that.

• 8 months later...
Guest Curious

Just wondering if anybody knows the requirements, most specifically age for USMC pilots? I know Navy is 26. Is it the same for Marines? Is there less competition compared to AF? I just want to weigh all my options, as I don't have any ties to any specific branch of service. This post wasn't intended to start a debate of AF vs Marines, I just want to know if I should talk to a Marine recruiter as well. Anybody know the service requirements for Marine aviators? All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest flecth033

check out airwarriors.com, I believe its commissioned by 27 for the Marines and 8 year commitment. However, I heard their waivers are easier when they need pilots.Try airwarriors for info

Marine pilots have an 8 yr commitment for jets and turbos, 6 yrs for helos. That time starts after you get your wings which is about 2 yrs after you get commissioned. Maybe longer in some cases.

You also have to go to The Basic School for 6 months after OCS. Then you go to flight school.

Guest thumper77

Curious,

The age for USMC pilots is 27. They will approve waivers if there is a need for pilots. There is a need for USMC pilots right now! They are even recruiting pilots from other services. As for time commitiments, I'm not sure about the USMC. I know the Navy is switching its commitment to 8 yrs across the board for all its pilots; jets, props, and helos.

Fly Navy

Bonzai!!!

Thumper

Guest roy moore

More or less competition? Depends on what you want....There is no Air Mobility Command in the Marines so if you want heavy lift, best to look elsewhere. Competition is keen for jet. There are grade minimums for it and only 30% of Marines are fighter pilots. Helos are where most go. In that respect, it is different than the USAF where most will be FW.

It is hard, but try to think about the personalities that you will fly with versus what you fly. It isn't hard to take a "fun" platform and make it miserable because you dislike the people you are working with or you share nothing in common other than work with them. The opposite is true as well. An "ugly" platform might be great fun because the mission is good or the types of personalities that fly it are congenial. Don't know about USAF, but in the Marines, this drives a flight student more than model once the student begins flying. Remember, services wide, average time in the military=10 years before you can leave as a pilot. That's a longtime to spend with people that you dislike even if the ride is hot.

Guest SuperStallionIP

Take "fighter" pilot with a grain of salt. Most if not all are attack pilots. Very little fighting air to air in this day and age. The most money is made putting steel on target on the ground to blow the fvck out of the insurgent hadjis.

Originally posted by thumper77:

I know the Navy is switching its commitment to 8 yrs across the board for all its pilots; jets, props, and helos.

Fly Navy

Bonzai!!!

Thumper

Navy has switched from 6/7/8 (helos/props/jets) to 8 across the board.

To the original poster- you'd be foolish not to apply to all of the services you mentioned- checkout the Coast Guard and maybe Army too.

Guest roy moore

For a Marine, the A-10 is probably the most beautiful machine around (honestly). Especially if he is TIC. The only other FW platform that has more street cred with Marines in the modern day is the AC-130. Ironically, both are considered "ugly" by some.