Real or Fake Su-30 picture?

LJDRVR

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1025605

I'm voting for photoshop. The jet's exactly the same height above the ground it would be if the gear were extended. There's no blur which one should see if the photographer was panning to keep a 300 knot AC in his viewfinder. No heat signature. Don't know enough about fighters to comment on nozzle position. It also looks like he's offset from the centerline. (#2 in a taxiing formation?)

I'm just a stupid airline pilot, but if I were beating up some airfield at 300 knots or better, I'd be glued to the centerline.

Discuss...

[ 02. May 2006, 05:33: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest ShortThrow

Edit: I realized that the jet has the fuel intake out for mid air refueling, which leads one to believe that the picture is fake.

Although I hear russian demo teams are crazy, and I don't know what much about SUs

[ 02. April 2006, 21:44: Message edited by: ShortThrow ]

Originally posted by ShortThrow:

Edit: I realized that the jet has the fuel intake out for mid air refueling, which leads one to believe that the picture is fake.

Although I hear russian demo teams are crazy, and I don't know what much about SUs

True, but there are other pictures which are not fake which show the Flanker during low passes with the IFR probe extended. I still think its too good to be true though. Too bad those guys never did fly through that cave in China...

Guest 92T0Jackal

Could be another depth perception / illusion? If the photo was taken from the tower or another building up high, and shot downwards the ground could appear closer to the jet than it is??

Meh, its not quite dead on sideways but it certainly doesnt show much fromo the top either... so maybe Im wrong.

are you doubting the photojournalistic integrity of acclaimed photographer Xu Zheng? I mean he's...Xu Zheng...

Chinese people ALWAYS tell the truth. Glorious people's ace Wang Wei was outfoxed and outmaneuvered by an overly imperious and aggressive and hegemonious Yankee dog EP-3E pilot sky pirate.

Guest V1vaLaRob

Ill post the same thing I posted over at the other forum questioning this picture:

Here is a thread on airliners.net about the picture:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviat...ad.main/226760/

Here is a news article about the team:

http://app.newsgd.com/NewsGD/UI/NewsGDSkin....aspx?camid=275

However they are wrong, the Navy Blue Angels have Fat Albert.

-Rob

[ 02. April 2006, 23:58: Message edited by: V1vaLaRob ]

Guest Xtndr50boom

Is the C-130 considered a heavy? I thought it has to be heavier than 200 or 250 to be called that?

Guest V1vaLaRob
Originally posted by Xtndr50boom:

Is the C-130 considered a heavy? I thought it has to be heavier than 200 or 250 to be called that?

Hmm, well maybe Im wrong then. I know we will get someone to chime in on that.

-Rob

Originally posted by Xtndr50boom:

No. Herks are not heavys. 200K would be a miracle.

It it me? I thought the actual classification for "heavy" aircraft started at 300K (with the exception of the B-757).

Anyone care to chime in?

HD

The FAA says that any aircraft which has a MGTOW in excess of 255,000 pounds is designated a heavy aircraft. I don't know if big blue uses the same rules, but am willing to bet we do. At any rate, heavy or not, Herks rock dude!

Considering the other photos of the same type of pass...

xin_542030319210928132398364[1].jpg

I would have to say it isn't a fake. Remember that the Russians crash a lot of aircraft during demos, so their safety standards aren't quite up to those of the US...

Cheers! M2

Guest Hydro130

By all accounts (and thanks to Rob for the pointer to the A.net boards -- that was good stuff!), this sounds like the real deal...

But I have to agree with LJDRVR's original question... Why not down centerline?

Guess I'll have go see the show someday to find out!

:D Hydro

The FAA says that any aircraft which has a MGTOW in excess of 255,000 pounds is designated a heavy aircraft. I don't know if big blue uses the same rules, but am willing to bet we do.
We do... according to GP Chapter 4, pg. 4-7: "Heavy. Aircraft capable of takeoff weights of more than 255,00 pounds whether or not they are operating at this weight during particular phase of flight." Large aircraft are between 41,000 - 255,000 lbs & Small aircraft are less than 41,000 lbs.