Typhoons v Raptors

M2

Just to keep everyone abreast on these topics, the following story and pics on the Eurofighter/Typhoon in the US are making the rounds in the UK mil aviation forums I frequent.

efraptor.jpg

Typhoon.jpg

Eurofighter Radars Didn't Spot F/A-22s

Aviation Week & Space Technology

10/03/2005, page 23

Edited by David Bond

Printed headline: Eurorumor Mill

Unconfirmed reports--that is, rumors--making the rounds in European aerospace industry circles contend that RAF Eurofighter Typhoons, temporarily operating from Nellis AFB, Nev, were able to pick up USAF F/A-22s on their radars, stealth notwithstanding. Similar reports appeared during the 1991 Iraq war concerning the ability of British ships, using large radar arrays, to detect the F-117 and, in later conflicts, the B-2. US officials confirm that the Typhoons were at Nellis to fly with the 422nd Test & Evaluation Sqdn. However, they discount that the Typhoons had seen an F/A-22 in full-configuration stealth. First, they say, the Typhoons and F/A-22s were never in the air at the same time. Second, the F/A-22s always have an enhanced signature for positive air control, except when they go to war or when the range has been cleared for F/A-22-only operations.

By the way, I just noticed the title of that article and the article itself conflict, but I think the title was in error, it should have read 'Eurofighter Radars Spot F/A-22s'...

The answers are obvious, but the discussion is quite interesting! Just some food for thought here...

Cheers! M2

[ 04. October 2005, 09:19: Message edited by: MajorMadMax ]

Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

I just noticed the title of that article and the article itself conflict, but I think the title was in error, it should have read 'Eurofighter Radars Spot F/A-22s'...

No, I don't think so. The article says, in essence, 'yeah, there are rumors that the Typhoon saw the Raptor...but it didn't, and if it did, it was because it was operating in the ATC config'.

M2, much like your previously mentioned article, I would throw this one into the propoganda pile. The way the Eurofighter guys try to pump themselves up, I have to think they're either insecure about their aircraft or they've got something to hide.

I've fought the Raptors before. When they want to be seen (to achieve training objectives) they can make themselves seen. When they don't want to be seen, you won't see them. Four Strike Eagles versus Two Raptors with F-15Es able to regen up to ten times. Result? Zero F-15E shots. Fourteen dead Strike Eagles. Zero dead Raptors.

Toro, did I read that right? You didn't even get a chance to fire a single missile?! Holy shnikes! Did you even get a chance to visually aquire them?

(I understand that last question might be in the "where are your troops and my I go there and count them" catigory...but you must understand...I HAD to ask!)

The second question: Do you think the ROE allowed for a realistic engagement? From what I understand, sometimes they tie your hands behind your back and then act surprised when you get your a$$ handed to you so their plane can look even better.

[ 04. October 2005, 15:17: Message edited by: FourFans130 ]

Guest BLEEDS ON

Sounds like the whole "aw shucks, you beat me" game you play with kids. Besides, let them think they've got U.S. tech beat so they stop trying to figure out how to beat U.S. tech. Never show your cards.

Originally posted by Toro:

Four Strike Eagles versus Two Raptors with F-15Es able to regen up to ten times. Result? Zero F-15E shots. Fourteen dead Strike Eagles. Zero dead Raptors.

Damn, you guys suck!

:D

Originally posted by FourFans130:

Did you even get a chance to visually aquire them?

No, but even if they had been C models, we probably wouldn't have seen them. We strive to do all our fighting beyond visual range. If we get to a merge, we've screwed something up.

From what I understand, sometimes they tie your hands behind your back and then act surprised when you get your a$$ handed to you so their plane can look even better.
We were given no cuffs and we still got our a$$es handed to us.

I'd say the same thing about when we were fighting the Raptor. We got a couple of tally-ho's, but it was because they were doing VID scenario's and they wanted to turn with us to fight against the JHMCS/9x combo.

Same result, a$$es kicked, but we did get a couple of 9x shots off on them.

To quote the LM test pilot at Farnborough (yes I was there..with a J model...) "You know what we at LM call those Eurofighters???.....TARGETS"

Well put.