What have you thrown out?

Steve Davies

In keeping with the recent spate of threads about flight flight suit pockets and the like, I thought I'd take it to the next level and post this little gem from Flight International:

Hawaii Air National Guard (HIANG) Boeing KC-135 tanker crews are removing everything from rubber mats to snow gear from their aircraft in a bid to reduce weight and save fuel. The hunt for excess equipment is part of the US Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century (AFSO21) initiative to save money. HIANG crews at Hickam AFB are identifying equipment that is only necessary on certain missions, such as winter gear that is not required in Hawaii, and removing excess equipment to save weight. The USAF estimates equipment that could be removed adds up to 2,270kg (5,000lb) or more of excess weig
So, spill the beans. What are you guys finding in your MWS that you're throwing out the door?

This coming from the civilian world when I used to load freight and fly cargo on the right seat in Metro II's and III's

Avionics for the most part... auto pilots, GPS. Our company figured we didn't need these "luxuries" especially on the Metros which fly several hour long flights such as from Lansing MI to some God-forsaken shithole in Wyoming. At least the Metros tend to stay trimmed pretty well which gives you quite a bit of hands-off flying in calm conditions. Probably gets a bit tiring day in day out.

[ 02. February 2007, 11:50: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Originally posted by B-O-double-Z:

I've thrown out all additional crew members...no co-pilot, no navigator, no flight engineer.

No way! What years did you work at Fairchild? You probably knew my grandpa.

What have I thrown out? Well, through the sextant port...toilet paper, bananas, twinkies, hard boiled eggs, water. Amusing when you're really bored and 6.9 hours away from the nearest landmass.

We've gotten rid of all our convection ovens (broke over the years) and the Boeing bastards raised a stink over the microwaves being "unsafe for use" (after being used for 20+ years without incident). Conveniently, they will sell us a "Boeing certified microwave package" for $1million per jet. And I thought the Nordskog on the RC was expensive at $18,000/copy! I'm a tried-and-true herbivore and all, but a million per jet is f_cking insane. Guess I'll sick with box nasties.

Originally posted by Bergman:

Well, through the sextant port...toilet paper, bananas, twinkies, hard boiled eggs, water. Amusing when you're really bored and 6.9 hours away from the nearest landmass.

There's nothing like hopping the pond with a ton of leftovers from the box nasties.

Bananas probably still reign as the funniest.

HD

Guest Rainman A-10

Rip 6 MK-82s always helps lighten up the load a bit.

I used to take a 10-15 lb growler before a BFM sortie for a little more nose authority.

The most I've brought back was 3 cases, and I definitely got a funny look from the dude from customs. He mumbled something about paying a duty or something like that...but never collected.

So, are you flying on an all-Mormon crew or something?