New CJCS

Champ Kind

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011984

This is the first chain of command of this position since I've commissioned. Anyone care to discuss if they ever saw any significant changes after the position changed from one person to another in the past?

I know that he is the President's top military advisor, and commands no troops, but I was wondering if things could change a whole lot, and if so, how quickly they could take effect.

Just some food for thought (Better than flaming each other and listening to the trolls from the "other" side b*tch & moan about their forum closing)

[ 01. October 2005, 10:59: Message edited by: PhlashNU04 ]

Guest Xtndr50boom

He's the first Marine CJCS? I thought they've had one or two before.

At least they had one on "Independance Day"

All it took was a simple Google search...

Past Chairmen of the JCS

General of the Army, Omar N. Bradley, 1949–1953

Adm. Arthur W. Radford, U.S. Navy, 1953–1957

Gen. Nathan F. Twining, U.S. Air Force, 1957–1960

Gen. Lyman L. Lemnitzer, U.S. Army, 1960–1962

Gen. Maxwell D. Taylor, U.S. Army, 1962–1964

Gen. Earle G. Wheeler, U.S. Army, 1964–1970

Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, U.S. Navy, 1970–1974

Gen. George S. Brown, U.S. Air Force, 1974–1978

Gen. David C. Jones, U.S. Air Force, 1978–1982

Gen. John W. Vessey, Jr., U.S. Army, 1982–1985

Adm. William J. Crowe, U.S. Navy, 1985–1989

Gen. Colin L. Powell, U.S. Army, 1989–1993

Gen. John M. Shalikashvili, U.S. Army, 1993–1997

Gen. Henry H. Shelton, U.S. Army, 1997–2001

Gen. Richard B. Myers, U.S. Air Force, 2001–2005

And for your further info...

Origin of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

At the beginning of WWII, President Roosevelt created a committee of U.S. staff commanders to coordinate operational strategy for the armed services. It was established as the American component of the Combined Chiefs of Staff of Great Britain and the United States, which prepared and implemented Allied strategy. The group became known as the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. The members of the new JCS were the counterparts of the British Chiefs of the Army, Navy, and Royal Air Force.

The first members of the JCS were Adm. William D. Leahy, President Roosevelt's special military advisor, with the title of Chief of Staff to the Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, who presided over the JCS; Gen. George C. Marshall, Chief of Staff of the Army; Adm. Ernest J. King, Chief of Naval Operations and Commander in Chief of the U.S. Fleet; and Gen. Henry H. Arnold, Deputy Army Chief of Staff for Air and Chief of the Army Air Corps. Each member was promoted to five-star rank in December 1944, when the new grades were established.

The National Security Act of 1947 formally established the Joint Chiefs of Staff and laid the foundation for a series of legislative and executive changes that produced today's defense organization.

Don't expect any changes, but it is interesting that the Marines are taking so many top positions in our military. Former Commandant Gen James Jones is the Supreme Commander Allied Powers Europe (SACEUR), and was the first Marine to assume that postion as well. Oddly enough, Jones was my old boss, and my current boss is a USMC Colonel...

Cheers! M2

Originally posted by MajorMadMax:

Don't expect any changes, but it is interesting that the Marines are taking so many top positions in our military. Former Commandant Gen James Jones is the Supreme Commander Allied Powers Europe (SACEUR), and was the first Marine to assume that postion as well. Oddly enough, Jones was my old boss, and my current boss is a USMC Colonel...

Cheers! M2

What is interesting is most of the Marines I was with on my exchange tour were very "un-excited", about having Pace as the first Devil-Dawg CJCS. To quote one of them..."there was never a finer yes man in the corps". Look for another talking puppet to regergitate Rummy's musings.