C-17 Globemaster vs C-130 Hercules

Guest getusome

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man, you have to share [the powerpoint show]. There are too many world class winners there in leadership positions to hoard that stuff to yourselves. The scarf email went round the world, you can't keep a new one to yourselves.

The scarf email was just an email (that, strangely enough, I didn't receive [and apparently doesn't apply to me anyway]). This is a no-shit multiple-slide PowerPoint "show". The file is too big to attach to a post - limit is 2MB, file is 2.4MB. This is the wrong thread for that anyway... I already started a thread about PT's at home station a while ago.

Back to the "Urinary Olympics"... :thumbsup:

Qualifications? As our usernames imply, Boom and I are boom operators - he's on the -135, I'm on the -10. We've got front-row seats for the show, and instruments that tell us just how much a receiver is moving the boom around.

Granted you are both boom operators (duh). What I was interested in was what length and breadth of experience he/you was/were bringing to the table to make such qualified statements. Boom has indicated he's upgrading to IB, so I take his observations to carry some weight.

PirateAF:

It doesn't take an EB/IB to se a receiver that is all over the place, while approaching the tanker in smooth air. It doesn't take an EB/IB to see the instruments fluctuating from one limit to the other while in contact.

I'm gonna "agree to disagree" with you and quit this before it gets out of hand, or derails the topic any further. Out.

Please don't let this thread degenerate into boom operators and drivers flinging poo at each other.

+1

Let's get back to Herk and Barney drivers flinging poo at each other!

Please don't let this thread degenerate into boom operators and drivers flinging poo at each other.

Awwww come on! I get tired of flinging poo! Especially when I have to pry it out of the treads on my herk! (Seriously. It's a place called Manda Bay, and the there's monkey poo all over the runway. Which makes me wonder what effect monkey doodoo has on RCR...and whether it changes with the diet of the particular monkeys involved...ya know...there's gotta be a banana peal joke in there somewhere...but I digress.) Let's sit back and watch an argument that might actually lead to a confrontation at FL220 overhead Ali Base some day.

FF

I don't think anyone mentioned the benefit of a crew. a couple of loads, FE, nav, and two pilots make all those pit stops a lot of fun on the legacy 130s

You're right, there are quite a few single seat C-17s out there... We get instead nurses, flight attendants, cheerleaders, and the like...

btw, how many people does it take to fly that small little plane that can't get anywhere, logically you would think smaller plane, less people, instead smaller plane, less cargo, less altitude, less speed, 2x the man power, might as well put that shit on a train...

If a C-130 picks up a C-17 crew from the bone yard it will be because they had to divert there for another engine loss or some other MX problem (or too much headwind).... and the C-17 will be forced to be dismantled there because of its awesomeness; Russia will demand it for some arms reduction treaty... "its not fair that the US can get cargo worldwide that fast, we must limit the US to slow USP type delivery with the C-130, better dismantle their semi trucks or trains too in case they try to move cargo that way"

and one last fling...

You can't really go wrong with either airframe, since every other "system" in the inventory has one, maybe 2 missions... (And tanker guys, don't tell me about fighter drags, coronets? and what not, and the end of the day you are hauling gas and that is it, the only reason you ever move cargo is for currency.... loiter loiter loiter, then land where I took off from)... we on the other hand have a great spread, that I need not repeat... If you are a tanker guy and you are tired of passing gas, guess what nothing for you, better cross flow... fighter pilot tired of studying in a safe and working 12 hours day, better go UAS. If you are an airland and want to try airdrop, sure, you want to try special ops? ok, want to land on the ice, got it too... even day to day, had enough AR, lets do some AD, lets stop and gets lobster, ok... Cross flow between the 2 airframes is great, crossflow from tanker to C-17 is lousy, the pilots I mean.

Standard Warning: past performace does not predict future gains, what is great now and what is bad now could switch at any time... especially if a massive redeployment starts... we could all be in a world of hurt, my first local was 9-11, shit got ugly fast...

Next topic: DFC awarding criteria ;-)

Point of interest:

The avionics are not the only thing that rock about the J. Just performed a couple yoke-in-the-lap takeoffs in the sim and got airborne at 40 kts and roughly 400-500 feet. We had to adjust the rotation speed up to 50 knots in order to not drag the tail. I thought that trick was reserved for super cubs.

Thank you mister Lockheed. I love the new toy.

FF

Ya know, cool maneuvers in the sim are a lot like getting it on with your sister: It may be fun and make you feel good, but you shouldn't go on bragging about it. :nob:

You're right, there are quite a few single seat C-17s out there... We get instead nurses, flight attendants, cheerleaders, and the like...

btw, how many people does it take to fly that small little plane that can't get anywhere, logically you would think smaller plane, less people, instead smaller plane, less cargo, less altitude, less speed, 2x the man power, might as well put that shit on a train...

If a C-130 picks up a C-17 crew from the bone yard it will be because they had to divert there for another engine loss or some other MX problem (or too much headwind).... and the C-17 will be forced to be dismantled there because of its awesomeness; Russia will demand it for some arms reduction treaty... "its not fair that the US can get cargo worldwide that fast, we must limit the US to slow USP type delivery with the C-130, better dismantle their semi trucks or trains too in case they try to move cargo that way"

and one last fling...

You can't really go wrong with either airframe, since every other "system" in the inventory has one, maybe 2 missions... (And tanker guys, don't tell me about fighter drags, coronets? and what not, and the end of the day you are hauling gas and that is it, the only reason you ever move cargo is for currency.... loiter loiter loiter, then land where I took off from)... we on the other hand have a great spread, that I need not repeat... If you are a tanker guy and you are tired of passing gas, guess what nothing for you, better cross flow... fighter pilot tired of studying in a safe and working 12 hours day, better go UAS. If you are an airland and want to try airdrop, sure, you want to try special ops? ok, want to land on the ice, got it too... even day to day, had enough AR, lets do some AD, lets stop and gets lobster, ok... Cross flow between the 2 airframes is great, crossflow from tanker to C-17 is lousy, the pilots I mean.

Standard Warning: past performace does not predict future gains, what is great now and what is bad now could switch at any time... especially if a massive redeployment starts... we could all be in a world of hurt, my first local was 9-11, shit got ugly fast...

Next topic: DFC awarding criteria ;-)

And thus, the spectrum of poo flinging on this thread was broadened. Let's try to limit the sweeping generalizations about the quality of pilots in other communities.

Riiight... and I'm sure those cheerleaders always end up going out with the crew after you have dropped them off at their destination.

btw, how many people does it take to fly that small little plane that can't get anywhere

Can't get anywhere except all those places that big fat "can't-really-fly-TAC-can't-really-fly-STRAT" POS can't go.

Tell me, when was the last time you did a no kidding short field unimproved surface landing? (i.e. not on asphalt that is covered with dirt to make you guys feel like you can fly TAC.)

I may have never done a landing to a dirt field, but here are some of the top reasons I enjoy flying the C-17:

-Air conditioning even when the engines are off

-Can log flight time while asleep in the bunk

-Can take a crap on the aircraft without feeling like a homeless person

Everything else is gravy.

We get instead nurses, flight attendants, cheerleaders, and the like...

Sounds like a standard C-17 crew.

logically you would think smaller plane, less people, instead smaller plane, less cargo, less altitude, less speed, 2x the man power, might as well put that shit on a train...

That's exactly what we think about when we're doing an ERO at the airfields you can't land at.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Guest totallyamazing
Along those lines...class 08-14 @ XL had 9 AD C-17s in their drop (Rumor...The Flt/CC had to trade away one just to give the bottom person something else so they didn't get their top choice). I think 08-15 had 7 or so. 09-01 had 4 AD -17s. 09-02 had 2. Not to discourage anyone, but they aren't handing them out like they used to.

If you decide not to go to CRP in hopes of a C-17...just realize they aren't handing out 8-9 at a time anymore.

I used to be able to argue here that normally the bottom guys in the class went to hercs and the top guys to c-17s but I guess that isnt true anymore.

when c-17s were harder to get, we had our top guys get those and our absolute last guys (who didnt wash out) get hercs. i mean hooking checkrides, daily rides, epqs...last. no offense to any herc guys, but you know it was true.

times are changing though it looks. now anyone can get a c-17

i know people in both communities that love it and others that hate their lives.

my opinion, deploying is stupid. c-130s typically deploy more than c-17s, 4 on 4 off type of thing. for lifestyle, i would say c-17>C-130. and remember in your choice...this is your life. you can only have sex with your airplane if you fly fighters. so if you want to have more sex with your gf or your wife maybe c-17s are the way to go.

I used to be able to argue here that normally the bottom guys in the class went to hercs and the top guys to c-17s but I guess that isnt true anymore.

when c-17s were harder to get, we had our top guys get those and our absolute last guys (who didnt wash out) get hercs. i mean hooking checkrides, daily rides, epqs...last. no offense to any herc guys, but you know it was true.

times are changing though it looks. now anyone can get a c-17

Uh... did you even read the post you quoted? The C-17 drops have been cut dramatically. Not anyone can get a C-17 in FY09, unlike the tail end of FY08, where they handed them out like candy.

Guest totallyamazing
Uh... did you even read the post you quoted? The C-17 drops have been cut dramatically. Not anyone can get a C-17 in FY09, unlike the tail end of FY08, where they handed them out like candy.

I saw that - maybe it will go back to the old way. thanks.