Sergeant in trouble for Playboy photos

Guest thefranchise

Guest thefranchise

well this is one way to get out early I guess...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16585140/

SAN ANTONIO - "Drop and give me 20!" is something you might hear Air Force Staff Sgt. Michelle Manhart yell to airmen trainees at Lackland Air Force Base. Drop her trousers is what Manhart did for Playboy magazine, and now it's landed her in trouble with the military.

"Of what I did, nothing is wrong so I didn't anticipate anything, of course," Manhart said Thursday of the pictorial. "I didn't do anything wrong so I didn't think it would be a major issue."

In a six-page spread in February's issue, hitting newsstands this week, Manhart is photographed in uniform yelling and holding weapons under the headline "Tough Love." The following pages show her partially clothed wearing her dog tags while working out, as well as completely nude.

Manhart, 30, who is married with two children, has been relieved of her duties pending an investigation, according to Lackland AFB spokesman Oscar Balladares.

"This staff sergeant's alleged action does not meet the high standards we expect of our airmen, nor does it comply with the Air Force's core values of integrity, service before self, and excellence in all we do. It is not representative of the many thousands of outstanding airmen who serve in the U.S. Air Force today," Balladares said, reading a statement.

Experienced model

Manhart has modeled since she was younger and joined the Air Force in 1994, spending time in Kuwait in 2002. The California native said she hopes the Playboy photo shoot will pave a way into an acting or modeling career.

The pictorial's accompanying article mentioned the possibility of trouble for the brunette drill instructor. But when asked in the article whether it might get her in "hot water with Uncle Sam," Manhart replied: "I've been serving for 13 years, fighting for everyone's rights. Why wouldn't I be able to stand up for my own rights and participate in the freedoms that make this country what it is?"

Manhart said she didn't see the magazine as an escape from the military. She also said she is completely committed to her job.

"I've proven myself. ... They picked me to train our future airmen of the world," she said. "They picked me to train these individuals so if they elect to say I don't have (integrity), then that's their opinion."

This has happened before

Playboy magazine spokeswoman Theresa Hennessey said two active-duty women have posed nude in Playboy in the past. Both were in the Navy, she said.

One, Sherry Lynne White, was discharged in July 2000 after posing nude for the magazine. She had been scheduled to be released from duty that October.

Another, Frederica Spilman, received an honorable discharge, which she had sought before posing, and a letter expressing the Navy's dismay less than a week after the June 1998 issue hit newsstands.

Spilman appeared in the magazine wearing opened flight jackets, camouflage lingerie and dog tags. The six-page pictorial, under the heading "Fly Girl," also included pictures of Spilman in her Navy uniform and flight suit.

Hennessey added that seven women also were featured in a "Women of the Armed Forces" spread in April 1980.

Manhart said the shoot came about after she went on a casting call and kept getting called back for test shots. The February pictorial was shot last spring, she said.

"The Air Force says go do something amazing, and I think I pretty much did it," she said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by thefranchise:

"Of what I did, nothing is wrong so I didn't anticipate anything, of course," Manhart said Thursday of the pictorial. "I didn't do anything wrong so I didn't think it would be a major issue."

Yeah. You get yelled at for not wearing a reflective belt or not tucking in your PT uniform shirt.

You get in trouble for making a video about Gold Bond Powder.

You get in trouble for putting a cadet back in his place via e-mail.

You need a liberty card to get through the gate at Kadena.

0-0-1-3, nuff said.

We just had hours of sexual assault prevention training, human trafficking, filing paperwork, fire extinguisher training, etc. Sometimes, we don't even get to talk about flying jets.

There's a base in the AOR, where dudes under 24 can't drive without a "wingman" or some shit like that.

Oh, but posing naked? Sure, that's fine. Nobody will have a problem with that. Good thinking, Manhart. I can't wait to get my "Don't pose naked in Playboy" briefing.

(On a personal note, I like the pics. A lot.)

[ 12. January 2007, 07:11: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest Sebastian

I don't get it...

"nor does it comply with the Air Force's core values of integrity, service before self, and excellence in all we do"

integrity - didn't hide anything

service before self - clearly

excellence in all we do - check!

My.02

I don't understand what is wrong? Is it Playboy magazine?? I'd think thats better than Penthouse or Hustler. We can have two star GO's go for years committing sexual misconduct and only get reduced in rank to O-6 and retirement. Now we are going to spend valuable $$$'s dollars on investigation for what?? Posing in a magazine. If the young SSgt completed all required paperwork for off duty work; where is the rub?? If not then lets use UCMJ to the fullest. Does the AF realize that the more they do to publicize the photo shoot thay are furthering her future career?? Excellent.

Guest salokin

If anything the AF should be thanking this chick. Dudes are gonna be lined up for basic once that issue comes out. Hot naked TI? Yeah, sure...sign me up!

Yeah. You get yelled at for not wearing a reflective belt or not tucking in your PT uniform shirt.

You get in trouble for making a video about Gold Bond Powder.

You get in trouble for putting a cadet back in his place via e-mail.

You need a liberty card to get through the gate at Kadena.

0-0-1-3, nuff said.

We just had hours of sexual assault prevention training, human trafficking, filing paperwork, fire extinguisher training, etc. Sometimes, we don't even get to talk about flying jets.

There's a base in the AOR, where dudes under 24 can't drive without a "wingman" or some shit like that.

Oh, but posing naked? Sure, that's fine. Nobody will have a problem with that. Good thinking, Manhart. I can't wait to get my "Don't pose naked in Playboy" briefing.

(On a personal note, I like the pics. A lot.)

This brings up a question I have had for sometime. Why are we allowing these shoe clerks to take over our Air Force. I think there are more of us than them so why don't we take it back and stop standing for this sh!t! Are we ever gonna say enough is enough?

Guest KoolKat

Yes, we will. However, it requires you not to become a tool when you make O-4. I question your fortitude.

You talk a good game and ask the right questions, but do you really want to do anything about anything...time will tell.

I will likely never make O-4, however, if I do there will be a wake of change that will likely piss off far too many people to ever see O-5, so I wish you the best of luck.

BENDY

EDIT: Oh...This chick isn't even that hot...although much hotter than MSGT Mendoza that I had yellin' at me. I think the military should leave her alone, but we all know that ins't going to happen. I'm surprised I get the leeway that I get, I should have been hung up to dry long ago...she's toast.

[ 12. January 2007, 12:32: Message edited by: Bender ]

I just don't see the big deal.. Why did this make the news(military or not..).. I mean..

Let's make a big deal about world peace, wolrd hunger, innocent people--men, women, kids are getting killed everyday, in every country..

What's the big damn deal with this chick posing nude?? Big deal. She is being "taken care of" if you will. She got booted. Let's MOVE ON..

Seriously.. Women need to get a pair and get over what other women do..

Question:

My.02

I don't understand what is wrong?

Answer:

Damn i'd play her notes,
Damn, I'm going to BMT five months too late.
If you see this chick with her tits hangin out, you will never take her seriously again. A TI that isn't taken seriously is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

You can complain about shoe clerks taking over all you want, but lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Reflective belts: shoe clerk

Not posing nude for a national magazine in uniform: reasonable request

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by Bender:

Oh...This chick isn't even that hot...

Agreed.

I get the vibe that she is also not very bright.

She's both a dumbass and an attention whore. We've all seen this kind of pain in the ass thinks she's hotter than she really is obnoxious dumbass uber tease chick before. Nothing but trouble.

Another example to prove my point...talking to the media will do nothing but get you in trouble.

Guest dayswhore@ang.com

13 years and she's still a staff? Pretty much not bright. Either that or she's been busted, either way, a waste. Good riddance.