On/Off base at UPT

Guest RaptorKeeper

Guest RaptorKeeper

I know this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the on base/off base living situation is at each UPT base for single students??? I've known a few buds that went to ENJJPT and lived off base in apartments downtown, but I don't know about Vance, Columbus, Laughlin, or Moody... just curious.

Thanks!

Guest lovelacm

I just ran a quick search with "upt housing" as the keywords... garnered me 20 results... JACKPOT!

Just a mere suggestion.

Cheers!

Linda

Linda's dead-on, as usual, but as a quick synopsis.... (Because I must take a break from studying)

Expect to live on base in the dorms. They have waiting lists at each base for studs to move off base and start drawing BAH. I was casual at my UPT base for 8 months before starting, and my name came up to move off base (coincidentally) right at 8 months.

Caveat #1: The Base Housing lady at CAFB said she had no real problems with studs getting a place off base, keeping "their" dorm room on the books, but just not drawing any housing allowance. "If I don't know about it, I don't care" kind of deal.

Caveat #2: I hear that at XL, studs can room up in Base Housing sometimes. Don't know too much about that though.

[ 11. December 2005, 20:14: Message edited by: PhlashNU04 ]

Guest lovelacm

Not sure why you'd want to live off base and have to pay out of pocket for it... Lord knows I was a poor 2LT with college loans... so that's just me.

Guest RaptorKeeper

Well, I'm trying to get in on this years AD board, and I'll be pinning Captain about half way through UPT if I get a slot... so, I just can't bare the thought of dorm living again... but I'll get by, since I'll be studying all the damn time anyway!!! HAHAHA.

At Vance, if there was a waiting list you could move off base immediately and start drawing your allowance. Once your spot came up for a dorm room, all you had to do was tell them you alredy moved off base and they moved on to the next person. You didnt have to move into the dorms once you moved off base. If you want to live on base, at Vance at least, call well ahead to be put on the waiting list (I think a month is as far as they will allow though). Then call about once a week to ensure up are still on the list, and hopefully your room will be ready when you show are shorty there after. I called right at a month, and when I showed up guess what, I was no longer on the list. I liked living in the Vance dorms because those 0330 shows suck, but it makes it a little easier when all you have to do is cross the street. Just food for thought.

Guest RaptorKeeper

that's a good point Sneedro. I guess the whole thing really just depends on where I wind up... if I don't get a UPT slot, I'm going to find myself on dreaded short tour to Korea this summer anyway.... so I won't be worrying too much about living off base. (just keeping the smell of Kimchi out of my nostrils.)

Guest brad0706

I know at CAFB if you are a 1st or 2nd LT, you have to live in the dorms if you are single. If you are a Captain you can live off base. I do know one Capt in 07-02 that got two dorm rooms connected together so he has a larger space. I'm a 2Lt and I just moved off base. I've been here about five months. The lady in the housing office is named Cindy.

Originally posted by Sneedro:

If you want to live on base, at Vance at least, call well ahead to be put on the waiting list (I think a month is as far as they will allow though). Then call about once a week to ensure up are still on the list, and hopefully your room will be ready when you show are shorty there after. I called right at a month, and when I showed up guess what, I was no longer on the list.

Unfortunatly this doesn't work anymore, dont know why, but I have called multiple times and talked to different people everytime. You need to be there IN PERSON W/ ORDERS to be on the wait list. I have orders now, but they won't take my name over the phone...first come first served...

When I got to Columbus mid-Aug 04, they didn't have room in the dorms for the single O's arriving at the same time for 2-3 weeks. We lived in billeting until dorms became available, and then we were able to put our names on the list to move off base.

• 2 years later...

So the last replies are almost 3 years old and was wondering if anyone had an update for this thread, at least for Columbus AFB? I EAD on Nov 22 and and dont start UPT until Jul 09, and I'm trying to figure out if as a single 2d Lt, will be able to live off base when I report in and/or during UPT or should I just expect to live on base through it all??

Guest AndThenSome

No change. Single LTs will live on base. Just make sure you get on the waiting list to live off base as soon as you get there if that's what you want. As for the wait, I'm pretty sure it's still around 4-5 months.

So the last replies are almost 3 years old and was wondering if anyone had an update for this thread, at least for Columbus AFB?

The beatings worked, search function proves succesful!

I would recommend going to the Spouses forum. There is a stickied thread for each of the bases that will have current, or at least more specific information (and are a better place to ask the question).

So the last replies are almost 3 years old and was wondering if anyone had an update for this thread, at least for Columbus AFB? I EAD on Nov 22 and and dont start UPT until Jul 09, and I'm trying to figure out if as a single 2d Lt, will be able to live off base when I report in and/or during UPT or should I just expect to live on base through it all??

Depends on timing... now that everyone is casual at their UPT base there isnt room for all the casuals to live on base.

I got here to Columbus in July and was the first casual Lt. kicked off base. Every Lt. that showed up for casual between July and November got the same treatment. Once they kick you off base for casual, they will not require you to move back on for pilot training. *unless they change the rules for next year*

There are a LOT of y'all coming in November, so my guess is the dorms are gunna fill up quick and a bunch of you will end up off base. Thats just a guess though and they may figure out how to deal with that problem come November. Be ready for anything.

Depends on timing... now that everyone is casual at their UPT base there isnt room for all the casuals to live on base.

I got here to Columbus in July and was the first casual Lt. kicked off base. Every Lt. that showed up for casual between July and November got the same treatment. Once they kick you off base for casual, they will not require you to move back on for pilot training. *unless they change the rules for next year*

There are a LOT of y'all coming in November, so my guess is the dorms are gunna fill up quick and a bunch of you will end up off base. Thats just a guess though and they may figure out how to deal with that problem come November. Be ready for anything.

Now that you've lived there for a while, is/are there any advantages/disadvanted to living either on or off base? I was planning on calling Columbus housing simetime this summer and talking to them about this and maybe planning a trip up there since I have friends in the surrounding area. I'm just trying to get as much info from someone whose living there now so I know what to expect when I do talk to housing.

Now that you've lived there for a while, is/are there any advantages/disadvanted to living either on or off base? I was planning on calling Columbus housing simetime this summer and talking to them about this and maybe planning a trip up there since I have friends in the surrounding area. I'm just trying to get as much info from someone whose living there now so I know what to expect when I do talk to housing.

It depends on where you're able to get a place off base. If you get a place close to base and can make a nice chunk of change off the BAH, its a pretty sweet deal. I like living off base. Where I am at, the drive to the flightline is maybe 2 or 3 minutes longer then the drive from the dorms to the flightline.

Like the other guy said, they have a system now where multiple Lt.'s can live in one of the houses now instead of the dorms, but come time when all the casual show up, I wouldn't count on that option since they need to have enough houses for the accompanied studs to live.

Personally I love living off base. I have a hell of a lot more room then I would of had in a dorm, I'm making an extra 350 bucks off my BAH, and my drive to work is 5-10 minutes depending on the line at the gate. A lot of the guys in dorms put themselves on the waiting list to get off base as well. That said the dorms have their upsides in time to the flightline, and being close to your flight's parties/BBQ's/whatever that are on base. Plus its easy to get a carpool system to the bars or Starkvegas because you'll be there with a bunch of other Lt.'s.

Ultimately occupancy is probably going to decide where you go. Be ready for anything and make the most of the situation you get.

It depends on where you're able to get a place off base. If you get a place close to base and can make a nice chunk of change off the BAH, its a pretty sweet deal. I like living off base. Where I am at, the drive to the flightline is maybe 2 or 3 minutes longer then the drive from the dorms to the flightline.

Like the other guy said, they have a system now where multiple Lt.'s can live in one of the houses now instead of the dorms, but come time when all the casual show up, I wouldn't count on that option since they need to have enough houses for the accompanied studs to live.

Personally I love living off base. I have a hell of a lot more room then I would of had in a dorm, I'm making an extra 350 bucks off my BAH, and my drive to work is 5-10 minutes depending on the line at the gate. A lot of the guys in dorms put themselves on the waiting list to get off base as well. That said the dorms have their upsides in time to the flightline, and being close to your flight's parties/BBQ's/whatever that are on base. Plus its easy to get a carpool system to the bars or Starkvegas because you'll be there with a bunch of other Lt.'s.

Ultimately occupancy is probably going to decide where you go. Be ready for anything and make the most of the situation you get.

Appreciate the updates on all this. I think i'm going to call ahead a couple months just to see what the situation is or projected to be so I can plan accordingly. Unfortunately being a 5th year in school, I don't know nearly as many people commissioning with me let alone going CBM for UPT so finding any number of roommates to live of base will probably be tough.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival.

Anyone know if they are letting 2 LTs share onbase housing at Vance?

Also.. free virtual :beer::beer: for anyone who can hook me up with pics of the Vance officer dorms. Have only been able to find pics from Columbus. Calls to Vance housing have not been too helpful. :bash:

As far as sharing a house, I know they were going to eventually start offering that option (they do at Corpus), but based on what they told me, with the renovations/new house building and the waiting list for housing, that won't be an option until they finish building some of those houses and the wait list goes down. Give them a call, it can't hurt to ask The Landing at Vance

Vance dorms, based on the pictures I've seen of the Columbus dorms, are nearly the same. Small kitchen, living/bedroom area, bathroom and closet. The furniture even looks the same. They are small, but you won't be there long. The dorms at Vance are also directly across the street from the OSS (where most of your academics will be) and across a street/parking lot from the sim building and flightline.

• Like 1