KC10 Extender vs. C17 Globemaster

Guest tktktk

Guest pinko

From the searching I've done on this forum, I've noticed a trend. "Good family life" tends to be associated with the KC10, and "gone all the time" seems to be associated with the C17. Can anybody confirm or deny this observation?

Thanks in advance.

Guest SnakeT38

Flown the DC-10-10 and -30 (KC-10), loved both.

Refueled behind 135 and KC10, like the 10 way more.

I am indeed a cadet. Every time I tell someone in the Air Force what I want to fly, I hear "so, your not planning on raising a family, are you?" That, and there have been a shit ton of posts on C-17 deployment.

[ 22. April 2005, 21:31: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

Guest spar91

lt's and young capt's are "gone all the time" in the c-17. maj's and lt col's are not. the higher you get in rank/responsibility, the more you're home for your "desk job". or, if you're lucky enough to be an exec - they are home more than average too - but not in a fun way...

c17wannabe doesn't fly C-17s, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Seriously, dude, don't get in the habit of giving too much advice based only on what you've heard. That "better not plan on raising a family" nonsense is just silly. The ease or convenience of raising a family has nothing to do with your airframe. It has everything to do with how supportive, understanding, and how willing to deal with hardship your wife is (and you, really). We can all think of people who have trouble raising a family without being gone at all (military or not), and I know I can think of several folks I've known personally, flying for AFSOC and other jobs who've been gone A LOT and have raised very happy families.

If you look through this guys blog you will see what its like.He came from tankers and Uav's and was regreting going to the C-17.Coming back from a 2 week trip only to be home for 2 days before going on another 2 week trip.

www.afpilot.com

[ 23. April 2005, 18:41: Message edited by: scoobs ]

Guest jmac2222
Originally posted by Rocker:

c17wannabe doesn't fly C-17s, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

LOL

Originally posted by scoobs:

Isn't it correct that the C-5 and KC-10 guys aren't gone 200 days a year?

EVERYONE is gone 200 days a year, at least in the heavy world.

Guest HueyPilot

No, a C-21 is not a "heavy"!

OSA is a different world from the rest of AMC. Enjoy it while you can.

Guest AirGuardian

Concur with Rainmaster and M3,

WHAT!!!

I was exec for four years through four Sqdn CC's...

I'd go TDY to get away from my duties, well I'd do it on a laptop away from home and not get bugged. I can ignore ANY cell phone...

Just got back from Frankfurt yesterday. We were taking C-17 crews from Tacoma over in the mighty -135. Great bunch of guys. Anyway they told me they are doing a 2 week rotation based out of Germany, then they said they are usually only home for a few days, then back out again. Sometimes they only get one day home, then back out again. They are working their asses off. I've got mad respect for the work those guys are doing. When we pulled into the Mil Ramp at Frankfurt we pulled into our spot right behind a C-17 being loaded with flag draped coffins. It was a sobering experience. I'm not sure about the KC-10 guys, and I could be wrong, but I would find it hard to believe they are on the road half as much as the C-17 crews. Hey all you C-17 guys out there, keep up the good work, you guys kick ass.

Oh yea one more thing, if any of you are planning on flying into Frankfurt make sure you copy all of the SIDS they have at the AMCC desk in their FOUO folder. We thought we did, but the one page we were missing was the one we were assigned. We had to have our 3rd pilot run in and copy it for us as it is not in the approach plates either, along with several others that they regularly assign. Also they expect you to fly these crazy DPs to GPS exactness. We are not allowed to use our GPS as the primary means of navigation in the terminal area. The C-17 guys were telling us they get violated all of the time due to how strict the tollerences are on the DPs. Damn Germans.

One more thing, the prostitutes down in the red light district don't like it when you take their picture. In fact they get very angry. One of our crew chiefs almost found out the hard way. So if you are over there or planning on going anytime soon, don't do that.