Survival Gear

Guest theflash2000@hotmail.com

Guest ruckerstud

Thanks to everyone for the info about what you pack. And since it appears that I have started a gun thread (which cool), I am wondering does anyone know roughly how many pilots have actually used their issued weapon. I have only heard one second hand story of one guy who actually used his gun. When I say used I mean actually shot it at a bad guy after having been shot down.

CWO Durant...

As for what I carry? I use a camel back as my PSK, so obviously water. I'll throw some power bars or something similar in there (incidentally, don't eat lots without water, you get more dehydrated). IR chem sticks (probably 20 or so). I put my extra ammo in there, and a big ass knife as well as the IFAK they issue us (improved first aid kit). That's pretty much it, I figure if I go down, and I'm lucky/skilled enough to walk away, I won't be going far as the guys in back will most likely be messed up and we'll be staying there doing point defense until someone comes to the rescue (ala Takur Ghar).

Guest RAMSTY

The funniest response I’ve ever heard to this question is…

“Never bring anything into combat you don’t want stuck up your ass.”

• 2 months later...

Sure you are.

If you're not cheating...you're not trying.

Pack away all the helpful items you can into your ruck.

Also, make sure you take a walk down to the rescue flight and find out who is going to be flying the signaling missions while you're out in the woods.

Have the guys in your element all buy some snacks from the survival BX and pack them up in something tight and taped shut that can survive a 100 foot fall. Make sure to beer up the fling-wingers. After that, expect a nice airdrop for you.

Suggest: As much jerky as you can pack, small cans of Chef Boyardee/vienna sausages, and a few packs of smokes or cans of dip.

HD

I'm a heavy guy so I get a little more space but I carry a Blackhawk pack with a filtered hydrastorm, personal GPS (Being that we only have 3 on the jet for quite a few more people than that), 2 knives (auto folder and a backup), surefire w/IR filter, mirror and some of the meal packs from MRE's. Also I throw in long johns if I'm not already wearing them (I here Afghanistan can be cold :( . It's all up to you and what you think would be useful. Some guys take nothing others take a lot. Don't over burden yourself and don't be the guy taking 4 bags of samiches/sodas to go fly.

Cooter

Yep, we just go with the standard issued stuff. There may be a few folks that want to carry something different. I don't know anyone, but then again, we don't plan on having to use it. Ask a Viper guy....

I'd carry a large carabiner. An Apache pilot told me that they carry them so that if they get shot down, they can lash themselves to the side of another Apache while sitting on the side avionics cheeks. See this article to see how it was done for real. http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Nov2004/n1...2004110501.html Might be the quickest way to get rescued if they happen to be in the neighborhood.

PBAR

• 1 month later...
Guest MdwstFlyr

Anybody out there know the difference between Aircrew Life Support and Survival Equipment?

• 4 weeks later...

When I was our sq's LSO, there were rumblings that Survival Equipment (a.k.a. Fab) where combining with Life support. Apparently it's now going to happen and the previous maintenance functions are going to be aligned under the OG. Not sure about ANG/AFRES, but that's how it's looking on AD- and it may be a moot point in about a year or two.

Guest samsdog

I run both of the shops and they are combining. The question is when and will the people in those jobs have to be cross trained into each others jobs. Both are good shops.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ruckerstud

Back to knives, is there a problem with the benchmade that most folks get issued? Or are folks just looking to have something else?

Guest Slilock
Originally posted by Cooter:

I notice AMC guys get a benchmade issued to them, not us fat kids in ACC. Had to buy my own but that's alright it's a great knife. Not the same as most I've seen no serrations but she opens fast.

Cooter

Per AMC regs only Loads and Booms are required knives because of dealing with cargo. Then it turned into that whole crews needed knives. Benchmades are cool till the spring wears out and the blade doesn't pop out. I'd rather have my Gerber Applegate.

• 3 months later...

It ain’t exactly military – some of it is just plain Broke Back Mountain - but check out the cool tools at this place http://www.kk.org/cooltools/ . Cruise the “Categories” in the column on the left.

For the truly wild $hit, visit the “Street Use” link.