Undergraduate Navigator Training (UNT) info

Guest canucope1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a call from my Col. last week asking me about my flight hours he then told me he was trying to put me into a accelerated Nav training. I have never heard of this, can anyone tell me what this is about?

Need details. Perhaps you are going to Pensacola instead of Randolph or vice versa. I'm not sure which program is shorter. It could also be that you are going to go to IFT earlier than planned. Are you commissioned yet? Still a cadet? ROTC? OTS? etc.

Need details.

Right on that. Could be going to the new CSO school at P-cola when that opens up like BQ said, but that depends on timing since the school isn't even open yet. The new syllabus is supposed to be slightly shorter than the current one at Randolph (not 100% sure on that, based on a brief I go more than 6 months ago), but it's not that big of a difference. Never heard of "accelerated nav training" the way you speak about it.

I got a call from my Col. last week asking me about my flight hours he then told me he was trying to put me into a accelerated Nav training. I have never heard of this, can anyone tell me what this is about?

He could just be referring to accelerating the timeline to get you into school rather than the timeline to get through school, i.e. moving up a class start date for IFS or UNT. Like the others said, we need more details about you to answer the question.

Nav training here in Pensacola is definitely not faster than at Randolph.

As far as the new school house, I don't think its gonna be up and running for a bit...

All Nav students starting training now until the end of FY10 will be going to Randolph. That is current as of now. If it changes at all I expect it to slide to the right. Last I heard we're still on track to have the first class of FY11 start at Pcola.

I'm a ROTC cadet btw, I was talking to my Col and what I was told was because of my flight hours I would skip some of the training and be put in a class that has already started. I have never heard of anything like this, the last thing i heard was no matter how many hours you have everyone goes throug the same training. I know for sure I am going to Randolph because my buddy at P-cola found out that the first true CSO class is supposed to start Oct 2010.

Last I heard, they were shooting for a May '10 date for the first class at Pensacola

You are correct. I should have said the last class to finish in FY10 will be at Randolph. All classes finishing in FY11 should be starting in Pcola. I really need to learn to think before I type.

...what I was told was because of my flight hours I would skip some of the training and be put in a class that has already started.

I agree with others here that the Col could be referring to IFS, but not UNT. Everyone else that has shown up with previous civilian hours has still had to complete the entire UNT syllabus, regardless of how many they had.

I wouldn't place much stock in what your ROTC instructor says about the current state of Nav training. When I graduated 6 years ago my PAS seemed to be under the impression that that everyone going to Pcola got Strike Eagles. I guess he'd never heard of the B-1.

I'm a ROTC cadet btw, I was talking to my Col and what I was told was because of my flight hours I would skip some of the training and be put in a class that has already started. I have never heard of anything like this, the last thing i heard was no matter how many hours you have everyone goes throug the same training. I know for sure I am going to Randolph because my buddy at P-cola found out that the first true CSO class is supposed to start Oct 2010.

Yeah, your Col. isn't really up to speed I guess (mine wasn't either when I got my nav slot...and he was a nav!) You won't skip any training at nav school b/c of civilian flight hours...I had a FAA commercial pilot in my class and he did the same syllabus as us. In terms of skipping part of IFS at Pueblo, I'm not sure b/c I went through prior to Pueblo so not sure how things work up there.

And while it's true that the new school at P-cola will have shiny new and upgraded training, the current "nav school" is really CSO school. We've been CSOs since 2005 according to the AF and your certificate when you get your wings definitely says "Combat Systems Officer" on it.

If you have any more questions and what to try to get accurate answers PM some of the guys on here how are navs. Good luck and don't screw up before you graduate b/c nav/CSO is a good assignment worth being excited about.

I thought everyone had to go to IFS though

That's correct...everyone goes to Pueblo now.

For a while at PCola, guys with a PPL or just shy of a PPL were getting out of NIFT and jumping straight into API. I had thought they got rid of that and everyone went through NIFT now...

For a while at PCola, guys with a PPL or just shy of a PPL were getting out of NIFT and jumping straight into API. I had thought they got rid of that and everyone went through NIFT now...

Yup, everyone goes to IFS here now.

Yup, everyone goes to IFS here now.

Not quite.... Guard and Reserves still can get out of it :thumbsup: At least the guys going to Randolph anyways...

Edited by JL

Yeah...forgot about that. The two reserve guys who were in my flight did IFS at local flight schools near their unit.

They actually waive it all together if you have a PPL (Reserve types)... of course this thought process just oozes with common sense so I expect it to go away in the future :bash:

Edited by JL

They actually waive it all together if you have a PPL (Reserve types)... of course this thought process just oozes with common sense so I expect it to go away in the future :bash:

Nice...yea, if you have a PPL you should not have to go through the ass-pain of Pueblo...especially since navs don't exactly get a lot of stick time where the skills learned at Pueblo would be useful

Ziploc,

Contact me at kaerfsusej at yahoo.com for more info. I just graduated and can give you some more info about the program if you want it.

Ziploc,

Contact me at kaerfsusej at yahoo.com for more info. I just graduated and can give you some more info about the program if you want it.

Likewise. You can PM me if you have any questions. I'm only about halfway through the program, but if I don't know the answers to your questions I can probably find someone who does.

• 2 months later...

We got our tentative EADs today!

May 1 Graduate

May 8 Commission

May 9 EAD

June 5 Start UNT

Not sure how accurate this is because I had no IFS dates or ASBC dates, earlier in this post I was talking about my Col trying to put me into a Accelerated Nav Program. He said it pretty much was the Air Force trying to put me through training as fast as possible because of my flight hours. Could that mean skipping IFS and ASBC? Any Thoughts?

May 1 Graduate

May 8 Commission

May 9 EAD

June 5 Start UNT

Not sure how accurate this is because I had no IFS dates or ASBC dates, earlier in this post I was talking about my Col trying to put me into a Accelerated Nav Program. He said it pretty much was the Air Force trying to put me through training as fast as possible because of my flight hours. Could that mean skipping IFS and ASBC? Any Thoughts?

The only thing that might be faster is IFS out at Pueblo. If you can already fly they can push you though a little faster from what I understand (didn't go myself so don't quote me on it). As far as nav school, there's no way to get through any faster than anyone else. It sounds like you might not be going to ASBC if your EAD is May 9 and you start nav school Jun 5. I know in my class only 2 people out of 17 even went to ASBC and the rest of us aren't likely ever to go.

Good luck when you do start and PM me if you have any more specific questions.

P.S. - you're lucky your EAD is right after your commission date...I know buds of mine that had to wait 6 months and I waited 3 myself.

Edited by nsplayr

May 1 Graduate

May 8 Commission

May 9 EAD

June 5 Start UNT

You are about the third guy I've heard talk about some "accelerated nav" program. Go back to your det and tell all your bros, this "accelerated nav" program DOES NOT EXIST! You don't get stuck in nav school a phase or two ahead, or anything of the sort. Dudes with flight hours start at the exact same place as dudes without flight hours. Now...I didn't go to ASBC, and it looks like you won't either. Be aware also that your nav school start date could slip back. I had friends here who reported in July and started nav school in December. They were more the exception to the rule, but it could happen. Plan on going to IFS. Everybody here went (even though two got sent local, but still), and the word on the street is nowadays the AF doesn't care if you have your PPL, Commercial, or whatever, you're going. There was a dude in my class there who had something like 3000 hours, flew RJs for Virgin Air, had been a flight instructor in the DA-20, and he still go sent. Granted, he banged through it in about three weeks, but again...you're more than likely going. Consider if twenty-five flight hours on the govt's dime.

You are about the third guy I've heard talk about some "accelerated nav" program. Go back to your det and tell all your bros, this "accelerated nav" program DOES NOT EXIST! You don't get stuck in nav school a phase or two ahead, or anything of the sort. Dudes with flight hours start at the exact same place as dudes without flight hours. Now...I didn't go to ASBC, and it looks like you won't either. Be aware also that your nav school start date could slip back. I had friends here who reported in July and started nav school in December. They were more the exception to the rule, but it could happen. Plan on going to IFS. Everybody here went (even though two got sent local, but still), and the word on the street is nowadays the AF doesn't care if you have your PPL, Commercial, or whatever, you're going. There was a dude in my class there who had something like 3000 hours, flew RJs for Virgin Air, had been a flight instructor in the DA-20, and he still go sent. Granted, he banged through it in about three weeks, but again...you're more than likely going. Consider if twenty-five flight hours on the govt's dime.

Thats pretty what I thought, but what I don't get is my buddy who got CSO at the same time as me has ASBC and IFS dates where I don't. I have my money betting that these dates are going to change

Thats pretty what I thought, but what I don't get is my buddy who got CSO at the same time as me has ASBC and IFS dates where I don't. I have my money betting that these dates are going to change

Realize your class start date is NOT the same as your Report No Later Than date. You may arrive and sit for a few months. You could also get there and start the next day. When I arrived at the B-52 schoolhouse, I was informed my class started 5 days earlier...and I STILL started training anyway.

In short, be ready to go!