Performance Report (OPR/EPR) info

Guest jtpuro

Guest Hey Nav

Looks like the form has finally arrived. Another bit of news, PT scores and any score below 75% will result in an automatic referral report. So the Air Force has finally put it in writing about how serious they are about fitness. Quite frankly, I totally agree with this.

Guest Hey Nav

The way we are doing it now as I understand is a sub-satisfactory score places you on a mandatory fitness program. The way I see this, it is a fundamental change with teeth. I copied this from the OPR memo (forgive caps), there is also another memo for EPRs:

(5) A MARKING OF DOES NOT MEET STANDARDS FOR FITNESS WILL REQUIRE THE REPORT TO BE REFERRED. COMMENTS REFERENCING POOR FITNESS CATEGORY, SPECIFIC FITNESS ASSESSMENT SCORE AND/OR BEHAVIOR MAY BE INCLUDED. ALTHOUGH FITNESS SCORES CANNOT BE INCLUDED IN PERFORMANCE REPORTS (EXCEPT REFERRALS), THEY MAY BE CONSIDERED IN OTHER RECOGNITION PROGRAMS.

(J) THE REVERSE SIDE OF THE FORM INCLUDES PERFORMANCE FACTORS WHICH APPLY TO BOTH COMPANY AND FIELD GRADE OFFICERS.

(1) PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT AREAS ARE THE SAME FOR CGOS AND FGOS. WHEN SUPERVISORS CONDUCT EVALUATIONS, ENSURE OFFICERS ARE EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE APPROPRIATE GRADE/LEVEL IN PERFORMANCE.

I think the new form is a step in the right direction. Instead of being OPR-filler, fluff bullets will now show a weak OPR.

HD

A step in the right direction; no doubt. With the limited space, I have a feeling that OPRs will now start looking more like PRFs (e.g. short catch-phrases instead of bullets that should mean something). I also think that stratification will be even more important. Time will tell.

Just finished (re)writing mine and getting it approved. Oh, I mean giving "inputs". At least I have a year to unlearn the writing style that I've developed over the last "few" years and learn something new.

Anyone seen any OPRs from 25-30 years ago. Now my memory may be failing, since I watch airplanes fly-by all the time, but I seem to remember looking through a senior guy's record a while back and seeing an "old" form looking somewhat similar to this one. Not exactly, but similar.

Anyone?

• 3 years later...

Instead of a poll, I want to solicit some detailed feedback.

1. I'd like to find out what (if any) online resources folks are using to help them write OPR/EPRs for themselves and/or subordinates. I know of www.afwriting.com and a few other resources, but did not know if/how people use them.

2. What are some items in your "wish list" of elements to include in an online resource (e.g. adding to an OPR/EPR site that already exists or when creating a brand new site)?

Apart from the obvious benefits, often we can generate the basic bullet, but are lacking the "zinger" of an introduction - or need a better push-line - or in second/third year of a Joint Staff Tour, your OPR is becoming a bit "stale". I am curious to find out what resources are out there and how we can (if at all possible) better our current processes.

v/r

BASEOPS

My wish list would include a library of old bullets categorized by crew position, title, additional duties, extra-curriculars and the ability to select those bullets into a text box (sort of like the one I'm writing this post in) that has running character count per line with a spell-checker, thesaurus, OPR writing guides linked to it. Problem is, you'd have to have an enormous amount of bullets to make it relevant to a wide variety of folks.

I did that for my former career field and it was a huge help for a while. The only problem is that the list tends to get outdated. My wish list would include sanitized OPR/PRF files for O-4/5/6 boards that were accepted, and what one would be up against. I also think that the younger studs in the CGO range need to be taught how to read their SURF and fill out an ADP, making sure duty titles match, and that appropriate dates are in there as well. Much easier said than done in my experience, as many people have never been taught how to fill one out, or that they need to talk to their commander afterward. That is how you get your desires across to your immediate supervisor and commander. Also, I think folks at all levels should review and learn how to accomplish rater/ratee feedback at the appropriate intervals. I have only had one feedback session that was initiated by my rater in my 5+ years in the AF.

Emoticons for Gearpig:

:rock::nob::bash::flipoff::drinking:

(It's a feedback progression)

Edited by Fud

• 3 weeks later...

You know at some point this stuff will be at the Pentagon, awesome job!

Oh, I'm sure it's already happened. Anybody out there remember the Bud Light 'Wassup' skit that the Penn State ROTC cadre performed? Supposedly they got a 'talking' to that was directed by the Chief of Staff.

My take on it is that if it's good for morale, then let it be just that--morale!

Dude, I see people on facebook linking this like crazy in the past few days, sh*t has gone viral in the normal, non-BO.net world. Well done.

Yep.

Haven't been here in a long time but I saw the OPR video posted all over Facebook and immediately knew who made it.

Job well done to whoever made that....I couldn't agree more. I especially appreciated the Exec part as I am being forced to be the Group Exec despite the fact that I told my commander I'd commit suicide if he made me. O well...

The post from 21 Nov where daynightindicator presented us with the glory that was "OPR review" as well as the xtranormal.com link are now gone. I suspect this didn't turn out well. As funny as these videos are...and I loved "Gold Bond Powder" and "I'm Hot 'Cause I'm Deployed," I can not think of any instance where the Air Force did not try to crush the creators of any of these vids. It's a damn shame that the "Dear Boss Letter" could only happen once. I hope the maker survives this...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peaceman

Promotion Potential to O-4.doc

A CGO wrote an interesting paper based on the historical data from last year's 2009 Major's board for a class. Here's a rough draft. Not sure how much true, but based on the his results OPR bullets/fodder is just a formality and getting your BDE and master's done is what determines promotion potential to O-4. As mentioned 100s of times on various threads....

• 1 year later...

I thought this would be the best place to dump these links.

http://www.theatlant...icrosoft/54143/

and a slightly wordier version:

http://www.vanityfai...s-steve-ballmer

In short, Microsoft has fallen behind its competitors due to a stifling of innovation caused by its evaluation system: the Stack Ranking system. The eval system basics were that a certain percentage of a given group would be ranked "top performers", "superior performers" and so on down to "poor". The terms are different, but similar to DP, etc. Its not a perfect argument in reforming the OPR/EPR system, but it mirrors alot of what has been said in this thread and the PRF one. Food for thought that any organization can become to inward looking and lose sight of what's important.

• 10 months later...

For purposes of OPR/EPR writing, can we still reference Op NEW DAWN for actions after 31 Dec 11? Is OND still a named operation? I have found conflicting guidance when looking at DOD/AFCENT/CENTCOM regulations/instructions.

I think more importantly than what the regs say is the fact that no one is going to remember what OND was 5-10 years from now so it's probably not a great thing to reference.