Davis Monthan/Tucson info

Rocker

Alright, we need to make a decision basically tonight about this, so any help is greatly appreciated. My wife is moving out to Tucson tomorrow. She was originally going to an apartment that I got for her up in the north part of town, with a lease ending in February, at which time we were going to either move on base anyway or possibly look around for a house to buy (expensive). Well I decided to call the housing office out there today to see what the waiting list was like, and the lady told me they have a three bedroom 1200 sf house they could give my wife TOMORROW with a copy of my orders (I'm TDY enroute for another few months). So here's my question: does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the officer housing at Davis-Monthan? I was told the NCOs got all the new houses, so it would be one of the older houses. I called my squadron and the dude I talked to asked around and couldn't find anybody there who lives on base, so that tells me something. We've weighed all the pros and cons of living on vs. off, so this isn't really about that. Just asking in long-winded fashion if anyone here could particularly recommend or not recommend the housing for officers at that base. Thanks a lot for any help.

OH YEAH: if anyone wiser and more experienced than I am (most people here) does have any general advice about what we're doing here, I'd appreciate a PM about it.

If it helps, a dude just PCS'ed from here to DM and was going into base housing. From what he told me, it was a new townhouse style place. Not sure as to the location, he said it was one of the new privatized ventures it seems they're going to.

I just left DM and I turned down the on base housing to live off base. The housing allowance is pretty good there. And there are a lot of options for renting or buying a way nicer house than you would get on base. And, you'll still be under your allowance. The on base houses i was offered weren't shatty but they weren't nice. Rented a house out in town, had a 2 car garage big yard and 1900 sq. ft.

Guest Dirty Local

I was at D-M a couple of years ago, and loved the assignment...My wife and I lived in the Sonterra apartments right off base, it was decent, but not so great if you live beneath someone...the walls are thin. We moved in to the officer housing and thought it was ok...if you have one or no child, you will be offered a two bedroom one bath house. If you have two kids or more, you can get the 2/3 bedroom with 2 bath house. Living on base is very convenient and safe. However, if you have the means, invest in getting a house. All my friends that bought houses loved it and have seen an increase in the value of their houses after only a few months.

• 2 years later...

Anyone got any post-2006 info on the Tucson area/life? Looks like I'm headed that way. ACC + NOT the backwoods south + reasonable distance to LA, Vegas, ABQ... I'm feeling good.

Looking for places to live within walking distance of good drinking, shopping, etc. Any good spots (UofA area, downtown, etc.)?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

zb

Anyone got any post-2006 info on the Tucson area/life? Looks like I'm headed that way. ACC + NOT the backwoods south + reasonable distance to LA, Vegas, ABQ... I'm feeling good.

Looking for places to live within walking distance of good drinking, shopping, etc. Any good spots (UofA area, downtown, etc.)?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

zb

Ah, I might just have the info you are looking for...

Places to live - Condos at Williams Centre is pretty good. I live here now and it's literally a 5 min drive from base. I can walk to Cactus Moon (one of the best bars in Tucson). The bar scene in Tucson is pretty spread out...you've got 4th where all the sorority bitches/hippies hang out, the Cow Pony if you like the dive bar scene, and there a few club up north (in the Scottsdale of Tuscon area). All these places, except for North, is within taxi distance of Condos at Williams Centre. I have a buddy looking for a roommate closer to 4th Ave and the college if you are single...hell he might let a wife live there if she puts out.

Any other questions?

Next Tucson is a decent place. If you are gonna rent I'd try to get up near the MTs to the NE. Its about 15 min from the base but not a bad drive at all. Up that way you are near a lot of nice shopping centers near Speedway etc. and you won't have to worry much about the locals or washing away during Monsoon season. Much nicer area and you can easily live up there on your BAH Its really easy to live in a $@#hole so try to stay E and N if you are looking for a place off base. Personally I would get sick to my stomach living on base... too much koolaid served. PM MD i think he either lives there or used too.

PM MD i think he either lives there or used too.

Yes siree, still do. Originally from here, been based here, and still living here...fly for US Customs nowadays after AD, traditional Guard on the side for my mil stuff. I live on the NW side, but used to live on the NE side. Pros and Cons to everywhere..just depends on what you're looking for. Feel free to PM....

No doubt. Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

Ran the roommate idea by the wife but no go, I wonder why...

I really don't mind a commute to work if I've got good stuff near the house. I'd like to buy but I'd rather take a small older place in a more metro area than a big new place way out in the burbs. We've got no kids so schools and that stuff isn't an issue.

I'm most interested in being able to walk to a grocery or to grab a brew and see a band or DJ in the evening... Where I can be a part of the city, rather than an AF guy who's stationed in the city if you know what I mean. Sounds like the downtown or 4th street area might be best for that, no? Any reasonable housing in those areas (on a junior capt BAH)?

Also does anyone from the base do their masters at UofA? What other schools are available out there? I'd like to grab an MBA soon and prefer to go to class - I get too distracted on the internet for the online thing.

Thanks again guys - I got the first :beer: for y'all once I find my local pub out there...

zb

ZB-Did my master's at UofA while at DM. It depends on your program and your schedule if it's do-able. I did a mix of night and regular day classes; I usually changed out of my uniform for class, but never got anything but positive comments from students/faculty while wearing a bag despite typical college political climate. I know the MBA program there is way over tuition assistance and not amenable to mil schedule. Talk to your DO/CC and let them know you are very interested in taking advantage of the opportunity while there; most will do their best to help you out.

There are no real houses "downtown", but there are many nice, older neighborhoods near UofA and Reid Park that are walking distance to the stuff around there and a quick commute to base. There are a couple other islands among the strip malls, such as the aforementioned Broadway/Craycroft area, that have cultural amenities, but not so much for walking. Town is freakishly bike-friendly, and there is an In-n-Out at El Con now. I can recommend a realtor if you like, too.

• 4 months later...

I'm headed to D-M very soon (perhaps in just over a week). I've been looking at apartments there, haven't made any final decisions yet, but am strongly considering La Entrada downtown. Anyone on here live there or know someone who does? I'm mid-20s, single, making 2Lt pay and BAH (1Lt in a few months). I'm less concerned about being a stone's throw from base than about living in a non-crappy place in a neighborhood with some young people and some things to do nearby. La Entrada isn't right smack in the middle of anything in terms of culture or nightlife, but it is a few blocks from 4th street. The property has a lot more grass than the area in general, which is good because I've lived in green places all my life and the desert aspect of Tucson is not appealing. I'm also an amateur musician (keyboardist, rock/pop/oldies/country), so it'd be cool to hear about places where I could try to get gigs.

Anyway, I know that was kind of dense. I'd just appreciate any thoughts on D-M and Tucson (especially from a CGO perspective), as well as on the EC-130 specifically. I've searched for 'EC-130' and 'Compass Call' and turned up little useful info.

Thanks,

"R-man" (!?)

And how come every time I mention to anybody that I want to live near 4th Ave and some good nightlife everybody looks at me like I'm crazy then tells me to go live in the foothills? No offense but not for me.

R-Man, I'm headed there in a few weeks too. I have yet to hear anything negative about DM or Tucson (other than a little crime, but what town doesn't have that). Wish I could offer more info but from all the research I've been doing La Entrada seems like a good place. I'm married though so wife and I are trying to rent (possibly buy) a house, but defininitely near the downtown/4th Ave area.

I'm a DJ & beatmaker... Want to start an electro-synth-pop band? :)

ZB

Edited by zach braff

Dude, wait until you get here then Craiglist a house full of chicks with an open room. I'm not joking, I wish I had done that. There are tons. You'll most likely be near the University, plus you'll be making bank with BAH.

Dude, wait until you get here then Craiglist a house full of chicks with an open room. I'm not joking, I wish I had done that. There are tons. You'll most likely be near the University, plus you'll be making bank with BAH.

That plan does have some appeal. On the other hand, as a friend who's at D-M has pointed out, living with/near a bunch of college students may not result in great restful nights before your early morning flights...

As ZB was kind of alluding to in his post, there are people out there who commute to D-M from downtown, right? It doesn't look like it's a bad drive (mostly a straight shot down Aviation Pkwy, against the normal rush hour flow). The Condos at Williams Centre looks decent; anyone have other apts/areas to suggest?

I'm headed to D-M very soon (perhaps in just over a week). I've been looking at apartments there, haven't made any final decisions yet, but am strongly considering La Entrada downtown. Anyone on here live there or know someone who does? I'm mid-20s, single, making 2Lt pay and BAH (1Lt in a few months). I'm less concerned about being a stone's throw from base than about living in a non-crappy place in a neighborhood with some young people and some things to do nearby. La Entrada isn't right smack in the middle of anything in terms of culture or nightlife, but it is a few blocks from 4th street. The property has a lot more grass than the area in general, which is good because I've lived in green places all my life and the desert aspect of Tucson is not appealing. I'm also an amateur musician (keyboardist, rock/pop/oldies/country), so it'd be cool to hear about places where I could try to get gigs.

Anyway, I know that was kind of dense. I'd just appreciate any thoughts on D-M and Tucson (especially from a CGO perspective), as well as on the EC-130 specifically. I've searched for 'EC-130' and 'Compass Call' and turned up little useful info.

Thanks,

"R-man" (!?)

I've played a few gigs in Tuscon. Not sure if Scrappy's is still around, but it use to be really popular. The place is a dive, but with a 50's style set up. Use to draw in a ton of people. I've also been to The Rock which was sick. Medium sized place that packs people in. The sound is awesome, but last time I was there they allowed smoking inside. IMO it completely ruins a live experience.

I live in Mesa (just outside PHX). You'll see how much Tuscon sucks the balls. Good news is your only 2 hours away from PHX area. Theirs plenty to do around here. You can also cruise up to Flagstaff to ski, mountain bike, rock climb, and anything else outdoors.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I had a teacher just say Tuscon is #1 in the country for kidney stones. Something about hard water.

• 6 months later...
Guest falcon13

I am trying to find a place not on base to live within 15-20 mins or closer. I'll be bringing the wife and small dog. Did some research on already suggested places in this topic and just seeing if anyone has additional options. Are a lot of B-coursers located in the NW side or near base? Did you use rent.com or suggestions from the DM site? Any new road construction that may impact driving time immensely?

Also, anyone who has recently transitioned from the Viper to the Hawg, could you PM me? Have some quick questions regarding inprocessing issues before I leave for OIF. Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

• 1 year later...

Just found out that I'm moving to DM. The wife and I are looking at living downtown near UofA. Any thoughts? Google maps says its not too far from base.

Anyone have any info on what teaching jobs look like or just quality of life in the school system there?

Any info will help!

It depends on your particular situation, financial strategy, and ultimately what you're willing to put up with and/or risk.

Ah yes, the proverbial 'it depends'... Thanks for the heads up. I think at this point in our lives renting makes the most sense due to the fact that we don't know how long we'll be there and getting tons more debt in a volatile market just sounds stupid to me.

Ah yes, the proverbial 'it depends'... Thanks for the heads up. I think at this point in our lives renting makes the most sense due to the fact that we don't know how long we'll be there and getting tons more debt in a volatile market just sounds stupid to me.

I live by the UofA and love it. Definitely recommend renting unless you plan to be here for the long term. Sam Hughes or Blenman Elm neighborhoods are your best bet. Right by the UofA but out of the "student ghetto."

1) You can get some great deals on some beautiful houses that would probably be out of your price range to buy (you're not an O-6 I assume).

2) While the houses are great, these are historic neighborhoods so most of the houses are old. Old house = occasional old house problem. Much easier just to call the landlord/agency...

I rent a 1940s era 3 BR that also includes an attached guest house just a half mile from UofA and love it. Walking distance to plenty of bars, restaurants, and of course football games. Rent is under BAH, though I do pay a little out of pocket after utilities. Easy 15 minute commute to base. Worth every penny. PM me if you have questions.

zb

I live by the UofA and love it. Definitely recommend renting unless you plan to be here for the long term. Sam Hughes or Blenman Elm neighborhoods are your best bet. Right by the UofA but out of the "student ghetto."

1) You can get some great deals on some beautiful houses that would probably be out of your price range to buy (you're not an O-6 I assume).

2) While the houses are great, these are historic neighborhoods so most of the houses are old. Old house = occasional old house problem. Much easier just to call the landlord/agency...

I rent a 1940s era 3 BR that also includes an attached guest house just a half mile from UofA and love it. Walking distance to plenty of bars, restaurants, and of course football games. Rent is under BAH, though I do pay a little out of pocket after utilities. Easy 15 minute commute to base. Worth every penny. PM me if you have questions.

zb

Thanks man. PM sent.

zb

2. Just lock your sh*t up though, especially cars and bikes.

• 1 year later...

Thread Revival.

Moving to Tucson in October for the Viper B-course. Looking to rent a house for me and the wife. BAH will be around $1200. Can anyone recommend some updated locations, or does anyone have any houses they'd be willing to rent out?