Staying Twenty Years

Guest ralph

Guest ralph

I hear a lot of talk about going Guard/Reserve over AD. I was wondering how many people plan on staying 20 yrs on AD? Or do most of you plan on leaving AD and finishing in the Reserves?

My 20 was over before I knew it. Being prior, I actually ended up with almost 25 years in uniform, if you include Reserves and AFROTC between my enlisted AD time and commissioning.

I can remember when I hit 10 years, I thought it was wild that I was halfway to retirement. Next thing I knew the USAF was telling me it was my time to leave.

The retirement check easily covers the mortgage and minivan payment.

Cheers! M2

Guest Apollo

I don't know. Going to the reserves or guard may

be kinda tempting to keep flying. I don't have

the desk desire.

Originally posted by ClearedHot:

I don't plan on wearing a belt with my Class A's, so I will be tapping out in 3 years, 7 months, and 17 days.

No, you're going to throw your name in the hat for sq/cc when your puzzle palace tour ends. After leading your squadron and mentoring our young troops you're going to get promoted to O-6.

We're going to take back our Air Force.

Batman

Guest Rainman A-10

Just a couple thoughts for the guys thinking the Guard and Reserves are a great way to avoid all the bullshit.

The ARC is not for everyone. It is far more work than many of you active duty guys may think. It depends on the unit but you might be quite surprised at how much the unit asks from you. All that while you have another job.

You will be exposed to some very unusual thinking. There will be people who talk like USAF experts who have no idea about what really goes on in the real Air Force because they have never spent a single day on active duty outside of a training environment. These people may well be in charge.

Some guys thrive in the ARC environment. The happiest ARC guys I know do not have to commute to either of their jobs.

You will have to take on stupid projects and additional duties...as a part timer.

You still have to do PME.

Every minute you spend at the unit is a minute you would've had free from your other job that you are not spending with your family.

FWIW, there were many, many people who never believed I would retire. I said the same thing CH said when I was 3 years out. I meant it. There was no amount of additional opportunity or promotion that would've kept me in, and I had some great offers.

I do not regret my decision to retire one bit. I am also glad I did 20 years. The retirement check isn't going to make me rich but I don't have to work very hard to get it...I can handle the 100 meter walk to my mailbox, especially since no one is shooting at me.

If I were a young guy on AD right now I would be maxing out my TSP and saving as much of my bonus as possible. You guys make good money AND you have ther greatest job in the world.

Guest b1dev

I planned on staying in the Reserves or ANG (I started out in the Army in 1987, then ARNG, then ANG, then AD USAF and now AFRC -- what a long, strange trip...). Anyway, I'd like to stay, but the commitment is a lot, especially since I finally found a full time job on the outside (I was an AGR in the ANG) and am getting married soon. I've been thinking about taking one of those "points only" positions, maybe with the CAP (might get to meet the CSAF that way ;) ). In any case I'm at 19 years total service this July, with about 14 1/2 of active service. Wouldn't mind satying, but with the current pace and new uniforms on the horizon I think it's time to retire in 18 months.