Before leaving for training pipeline

I have some big questions about things I should do before leaving for the UPT training pipe as a reservist. I’m prior service, single no dependents.

The big one is how BAH works at OTS and UPT for reservists. If I sign a lease now, will it be paid while I’m away and I’ll also receive on base housing? In my prior service as a reserves guy I remember people getting something like this I think. 

If you are in on base housing, your BAH will magically match what the on base housing rate is. 12 years ago at CAFB, it was something like $850 / month, and the dudes that lived in dorms on base as single guys were paying all of it for bullshit dorm rooms that I wouldn’t have wanted to spend more than $300 / month on. It may be different now, but as a reservist I was allowed to live off base from the start of UPT. 

In regards to your lease question, the AF will pay you BAH, period dot. If you are in on base housing, see above. If not, you can use your BAH as you see fit, but you will still owe the rent for your lease back home as well as wherever you decide to rent at UPT. 

During UPT myself and some other guard guys applied for a BAH waiver. We were receiving our BAH from our home zip code because we had houses still there. Still had to pay for on base housing and rent at home so pretty much always losing money, but it was less due to getting the home address BAH. Took about 4-5 months to get approved. 

1 hour ago, bs98 said:

@elvis thanks for commenting. Do you think a lease would cut it or do they specifically want to see the name on the mortgage?

Lease should be fine, I don't even remember them asking about proof. 

When I was at Columbus a few years back as a Reserve hire, I was able to live in the dorms for free and receive BAH for my apartment back home. That was due to being a geo bachelor, though - wife stayed behind.

21 hours ago, Stoker said:

When I was at Columbus a few years back as a Reserve hire, I was able to live in the dorms for free and receive BAH for my apartment back home. That was due to being a geo bachelor, though - wife stayed behind.

Guard guy, but one of my buddies at UPT did this. We graduated one year ago, so pretty relevant still. He had a BAH waiver (wife and kids at home as well), and got to live in the dorms for free. But like others said, if he wanted to live in on base housing, or live off base, it was all out of his own pocket. 

When I was in the dorms I only got Type 2 BAH. We had to get on a MFR from the student squadron to move out of the dorms and into on base housing. Then I went back to type 1 BAH.  Basically they were running out of room in the dorms and had extra housing available. We also didnt have a choice initially. It was hotel until your dorm was available, then get on the letter for getting out of the dorms as they made them. 

So to answer your question, you can have on base housing (read Dorms) for free with a BAH waiver, but not an actual house on base for free. That you'd still have to pay for.