U.S. Coast Guard Grounds Fleet of C-27J Aircraft

ClearedHot

U.S. Coast Guard Grounds Fleet of C-27J Aircraft

The Coast Guard guys and girls get little press but this is a bit concerning. 

"The Alert Service Bulletin issued by Leonardo calls for inspections looking for cracks in the area where the horizontal and vertical stabilizers attach to the aircraft’s fuselage."

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

..horizontal and vertical stabilizers attach to the aircraft’s fuselage."

I'm not an engineer but those things kinda need to stay attached, at least in flight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Well that sucks but not the first issues with the mighty Spartan. Ailerons were all custom and they were swapped around between tails, caused grinding, stand down at my Guard wing for removal, repair, rebalancing and matching them back to their original tail IIRC.

Good plane though horrible acquisition program when it was the JCA

Never flew its main competitor the C-295 but that was probably the right choice for the stated requirement at the time. Might have lasted in the ANG as a light utility airlifter longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ima just interject here for a moment and reiterate my belief that the coasties are the smartest among us.  Went through the USVI on my way to a BVI for vacation and noticed 4 or 5 CG helos there.  I just saw a post of FB for coastie promotion while they were "deployed" to the Bahamas.  They get to do their mission a lot more than everyone else.  The few coasties I've known have saved quite a few people in their day and none of them had to spend a day in CENTCOM (though I know some do).  A squadronmates brother retired from the CG as an O-5...dudes assignments sounded like one vacation hotspot after another.  Also, there is a CG station in my city and they have the best booze selection of any exchange I've ever seen lol.   

Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled programing, hoping the C-27 tail doesn't fall off.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Ima just interject here for a moment and reiterate my belief that the coasties are the smartest among us.  Went through the USVI on my way to a BVI for vacation and noticed 4 or 5 CG helos there.  I just saw a post of FB for coastie promotion while they were "deployed" to the Bahamas.  They get to do their mission a lot more than everyone else.  The few coasties I've known have saved quite a few people in their day and none of them had to spend a day in CENTCOM (though I know some do).  A squadronmates brother retired from the CG as an O-5...dudes assignments sounded like one vacation hotspot after another.  Also, there is a CG station in my city and they have the best booze selection of any exchange I've ever seen lol.   

Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled programing, hoping the C-27 tail doesn't fall off.  

Buddy from high school went to the CGA then on to pilot training.  Flew Falcon jets most of his career and had two assignments - Miami (Opa Locka for 10 years, then Mobile for 10 years.  Retired as an O-5 and immediately hired by Jet Blue.  Flew withJB until 9/11 then some sort of Mil-Leave as a Govt contractor with the Coast Guard in Mobile flying as an instructor while still getting his retirement.  Four years of that and back to Jet Blue with his line number intact.

• Like 6

Coast guard for the win.  Especially for helos.   They have some nice toys.  

Not to disparage the aging Coast Guard's 'nice toys', but the Air Force's new MH-139A helos is looking pretty good for the assigned Air Force mission set.

The Coast Guard’s MH-65 Helicopter Fleet Is Headed For Trouble

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2022/01/28/the-coast-guards-mh-65-helicopter-fleet-is-headed-for-trouble/?sh=1a6210ec53e7

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

Hard to understand how there could be tail issues.  Hmmm....

Return to targets and aileron rolls in a C-27 aren't good for your health! 

Coast guard for the win.  Especially for helos.   They have some nice toys.  

You could eat off of their hanger floors.

Does anybody know if they got a long term sustainment contract with Leonardo? I know the Spartans USASOC had were basically living in borrowed time because they wouldn’t allow on demand buys for upgrades and replacements. Italians wanted a long term gravy train or nada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could eat off of their hanger floors.

Does anybody know if they got a long term sustainment contract with Leonardo? I know the Spartans USASOC had were basically living in borrowed time because they wouldn’t allow on demand buys for upgrades and replacements. Italians wanted a long term gravy train or nada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably so as the Coasties have their depot and training for the 27 at Elizabeth City, NC
L3 was the US company partnering with Allenia at that time which has since become Leonardo and I don’t think L-3 Textron is in the Spartan business anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk