Sheppard AFB Questions

ghost_ttu

No, not that I'm aware of. Housing on base here is always pretty full, families stay on wait lists for months, so I'm pretty sure single dudes either live in the dorms or live off base.

ETA: if you're not entitled to BAH when you get here (dependents or prior e dudes are usually the only cases), then plan on staying in the dorms unless you want to pay out of pocket to live off base. If the dorms are full, they might let you live off base but most likely you'll be in the dorms through 75% of your time here.

Just what I've gathered from the dudes I know who were not entitled to BAH when they got here.

Huh? The way you wrote that seems all backwards. You mean married dudes get to live somewhere other than the dorms.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem confusing to me but here ya go:

If you don't get BAH, you'll live in the dorms or pay out of pocket to live off base.

If you get BAH but are single, you'll live off base.

If you have dependents it's your choice between base housing or off base.

For single dudes that lived in the dorms -- would you recommend I bring some of my own furniture (I have a few nice couches, bed, coffee table, dresser /night stand) or use the seemingly old stuff already in there? I thought I've read if you bring your own, housing will move their stuff out to make room

You do not need to bring any furniture. The dorms come with a couch, computer desk, computer chair, and 2 chairs for the kitchen bar. It's definitely not much, but it works for the time you are there. There is no hassle, and when I was there, it was like going through college again with the parties and having your bros close by. I did buy a memory foam mattress topper...the beds are hard and very uncomfortable. I also bought a TV. We had to stay in the dorms until a certain percentage was occupied. Depending on where you stand on the wait list to get out, you may have to stay in the dorm until close to graduation.

Adding on to the question if there were houses for a few bros to get together, we did end up getting one of the new houses on base. I don't know how it got started due to me coming in after it had already been established, but I'm sure it had to do with the amount of vacancies at the time and it just worked out. I dont know if it made any difference, but we were all guard dudes. Balfour Beatty is generally pretty good. Just ask em.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving down to Sheppard in December as an IP and was wondering about the housing situation out there. I'm looking at both buying and renting. Where do most of the IPs live? Is it true (as stated earlier in this thread) that you should stay away from the triangle formed by the highways (44 Seymore and Kell)? Thanks for the help!

Cheers

BL

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I'm moving down to Sheppard in December as an IP and was wondering about the housing situation out there. I'm looking at both buying and renting. Where do most of the IPs live? Is it true (as stated earlier in this thread) that you should stay away from the triangle formed by the highways (44 Seymore and Kell)? Thanks for the help!

Base housing is nice and full of IPs. Missile rd, especially just north of Missile is nice. If you want to live out in the country, try Iowa Park or over by the Red River east of Burk. Burk itself isn't bad if you want the small-town atmosphere. The Tanglewood area just north of Seymour Hwy is really nice and very popular with IPs. There are also some great older, but well established areas to live around the university (especially to the North).

Forget base housing... You get a lot bigger house and a lot nicer house in town. The better rentals go quickly. Look in the neighborhoods around memorial stadium (where I live/20 min drive) or just off of Kell behind Market Street. There are a few other areas with decent houses as well. I am not knocking the base housing but if I am going to give up my entire BAH, I would much rather have a larger place. Most of the IP's I know live off base. PM if you have questions.

Where do most of the IPs live? Is it true (as stated earlier in this thread) that you should stay away from the triangle formed by the highways (44 Seymore and Kell)?

I think the "triangle" concept is something old that has been around (I heard it when I was getting ready to show up), but is no longer valid. Tanglewood was mentioned, and there is another relatively new housing division called Lake Wellington that is between the two roads just north of the Memorial stadium (see below). Not only is Wellington a nice area with a lot of IPs, it's extremely close to the #1 rated elementary school in town (West Foundation).

Forget base housing... You get a lot bigger house and a lot nicer house in town. The better rentals go quickly. Look in the neighborhoods around memorial stadium (where I live/20 min drive) or just off of Kell behind Market Street.

Ditto - this is the same area where I live and they're just finishing up an entire street of brand new houses in our neighborhood. It's a very nice neighborhood, and I would say just under 50% military. It's walking distance to the stadiums (plenty of high school and local college games) and it's a 10 minute drive to just about anywhere in the downtown area. The only drawback is that it's close to a 30 minute drive to the work from door-to-door. If you want to get an idea for the area, go to "Wichita Falls Memorial Stadium" on Google maps and look at the houses that are west, south, and in the southeast corner of the stadium.