Wiz Wheel formula

Smokin

Anyone know the formula they use to get wind drift on the wiz wheel? I'm trying to make a spread sheet to calculate the wind drift on final for some approaches we shoot a lot. I already have one that can work the timing, just want to add headings too.

Guest Broncopilot943

Dial the wind direction into the TC arrow. Put a dot for the wind speed up from the hole in the center (I usually start hole on the "100" line to make it easy.) Then, dial your course into the TC arrow. Slide the dot you made to the line that corresponds with your TAS. Read under the hole to get your GS. Read the displacement of the dot you made from the center of the slide to get wind correction angle. Most E6B's have directions for this printed on them.

ALSO: You can find the actual Xwind component by dialing in wind direction and speed just like above. Then, dial the runway heading (or approach course) into the TC arrow. Make another dot ON the centerline, straight over from your first dot (dont follow the curved lines on the slide). Then rotate the wheel so that the two dots line up exactly with the vertical lines on the slide. The distance between the two dots is your XW component.

Hope this helps!!!

Guest deweygcc

Put the wind on the whiz wheel DOWN from the center. On an MB-4 you go down STS, +=W -=E spin to your heading put the center dot on the TAS, then you will read the drift. Put the new wind corrected heading and read the ground speed from under the X or the wind mark you made.

DO NOT go UP from the center you will double your drift in the wrong way.

Dudes, I don't think he wants how to use the whiz wheel in practice. He wants the mathematical formula so he can make an Excel spreadsheet out of it (at least thats what I got from the post). And if that's the case, xwind stuff on the whiz wheel is just a visual representation of vectors.

Guest Sundowner

X = True Airspeed

Y = Wind Speed

Z = Angle between True Course and wind direction

Wind Correction Angle = Tan-1 [(SinZ * Y)/X]

I will now return to the nerdery with my fellow nerds and our calculators.

Guest rotorhead

Just ensure the Heads Down Display computer wind corrected dogbone is centered, the roll command bar on the Vertical Situation Indicator is centered, the aircraft symbol is centered on the course on the situation page of one of the Computer Display Units, have the pilot not flying check the winds and drift correction and cross track error on the other Computer Display Unit, and scale the Electronically Linked Mission Overlay map to 1:24000 and follow the guidance....or, use TLAR as mentioned above.

Yup, the math formula was what I was looking for. We still TLAR it, but it'll be nice to have a rough idea of what I'm looking for before I step for my checkride. An IP suggested spinning the winds for a heading on final and I figured since we already have a spreadsheet that does timings, why not have it do a heading also? Thanks for the help.

"Hurtling" at "150 knots"? Hah!
C'mon now! We're flying 200,000 lbs of s**t and sheetmetal at the ground at over 150 kts with ~18" between those big, beautiful F108 engines and terra firma.

I've never flown anything faster. Yeehaa!

What was the Tweet...100kts, 110 50% flap and 120 no flap? The TONE started at 110 and went down 2 kts every 500 lbs or so.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on these.)

[ 26. February 2005, 10:35: Message edited by: PAB ]

Guest JeffreyAC

(LOL!) I'm noticing a lot of the 0507 Vance guys (mostly students!) on here... Don't we give you enough to study prior to Nav check??

A fellow O flighter...

It doesn't matter how much you study for the Nav check, beacuse I don't think anyone's mastered "friggin' everything" yet.

I had an unnamed former Gucci pilot who went on to fly FRED for my nav check about 10 months ago. Good guy, but I hadn't quite gotten this far in the reading yet.

Here's he gouge, even though you won't get him 'cause he's gone...

-What's the morse code identifier for the letter "I"? You must know it, you TIM every ILS freq, right?

-When does the UK go to Daylight Savings Time? :confused:

Tune in next week for the answers

04-10 M Flt OUT! ;)

[ 28. February 2005, 22:56: Message edited by: PAB ]

• 2 weeks later...