Navy to AirForce transition (Do you have to go through SERE - again?)

GoGoJuice88

Hello Everyone! 

I'm an ex navy pilot in the process of swapping from gold to silver wings. I remember when I graduated from navy SERE, the guy who handed me my graduation certificate told me to place a copy in a safety deposit box. Despite the fact I have all my SERE documentation in order, I was recently told I will have to attend air force SERE and would like to see if anyone has made the gold to silver transition without attending air force SERE. Or, if you haven't made the transition, do you know anyone else I can reach out to for clarification? I'll name my firstborn grandchild in your honor if you can help me get out of this. Thanks everyone! 

Thanks BFM. I'm the first navy guy our squadron has taken in for several years and we were told by AF SERE/USAFR AFRC HQ AFRC/A3R:

From the SERE functional here: "US Navy SERE Training is not equivalent to
USAF SERE training.  US Navy SERE training has a separate training standard,
additionally Navy SERE training does not meet the same training line items
as USAF SERE training.  The officer will have to accomplish S-V80-A (SERE),
S-V80-B, and S-V90-A."

Do you know where I should start looking in AF regs? Thanks a T-O-N! 

- Call AFPC.  Look up Adriana Bazan on the Global.  

- Who has a lot of inter service transfer folks flying USAF aircraft?  The U-2 Program.  Call them and ask for recent first-hand xperiemce  

Edited by HuggyU2

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:11 AM, GoGoJuice88 said:

Thanks Lazlo. Also, if they haven't been, would you mind asking me how they avoided it? I look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry for the late reply, opposite schedules on the deployment. My Marine bro said he submitted a (ARB?) giant package (sts) to turn his gold into silver. He included all training certificates and did not re-do SERE or water survival. The issue wasn't brought up any further.  I'll confirm this was the same case with my squid bro as well. 

Hope your experience goes pain/slapless as well.

Cheers,

Lazlo

• Upvote 1

My class/flt leader in AF SERE was a former Marine Harrier Pilot that was hired to fly Hogs in the ANG. This was circa 2009.  As you can imagine his give a fuck factor was pretty low...can't say that I blame him.    Hope you can get this waived, that was beyond ridiculous.