Best Officer position besides pilot

Guest AirTime

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest viper24

My bro is a CRO. You have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting a CRO spot. I think there were 3 CROs taken from ROTC last year. Bout 2 STOs.

Most the CROs and STOs are former PJs and CCT that commission. Its not impossible to get a slot from ROTC, just damn hard.

Anyone has specific questions, PM me and I can ask my bro, hes been on the selection boards for ROTC, instructor at INDOC, and in the career 16 years.

Originally posted by viper24:

My bro is a CRO. You have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting a CRO spot.

Ahh, I don't think it's that difficult, however it is pretty darn tough. They're an interesting bunch that's for sure. I enjoyed how they thought they knew our regs/procedures better than we did. All around though, good group of guys.

Guest waxgoblin

I dont think scoobs is in the Air Force. I have seen him over on Army OCS getting torn apart by posters there, almost as bad as we make fun of him here.

Guest boson69

What's the difference between OSI - FBI - CIA in terms of execution of mission? Is OSI just a version of FBI or CIA specifically dedicated to the USAF?

Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Hoser

Guest aschmidt23

everyone on here who is talking about CROs being such a hard career field to get into doesn't know sh*t about it. i am currently stationed at Moody AFB and hang out with all the CROs and PJs, and from talking to them (guys involved with that career field) and not some Cadet from DET "who gives a crap" their entire force is seriously undermanned. they are trying so hard to get guys who wash out of UPT in my sq. to come and check out the CROs for a day and see if they are interested. if anyone wants to get the skinny on the CROs or PJs for real from someone who is stationed at the only RQW (Rescue Wing)in the CONUS let me know and i will set you up with the right guys to talk to.

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by aschmidt23:

everyone on here who is talking about CROs being such a hard career field to get into doesn't know sh*t about it. i am currently stationed at Moody AFB and hang out with all the CROs and PJs, and from talking to them (guys involved with that career field) and not some Cadet from DET "who gives a crap" their entire force is seriously undermanned. they are trying so hard to get guys who wash out of UPT in my sq. to come and check out the CROs for a day and see if they are interested. if anyone wants to get the skinny on the CROs or PJs for real from someone who is stationed at the only RQW (Rescue Wing)in the CONUS let me know and i will set you up with the right guys to talk to.

Isn't this like the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes: As a stud, you're one step above a cadet. You still don't know jack. They may be trying to recruit hard, but that doesn't mean any joe schmo gets in. It is probably the hardest job to get and keep until you get through INDOC that there is in the Air Force. That may be exagerated, but you get the idea.

And watch who you call cadet SNAP.

who is stationed at the only RQW (Rescue Wing)in the CONUS

Soounds like someone actually paid attention during the Right Start Brief.

Hoser

Guest aschmidt23

in response to Helo Guy, me referring to a "cadet" was from an earlier post on here stating that it was so hard to get into from ROTC and in actuallity there are many other ways to get into that career than straight out of ROTC...the point of my message was to not get discouraged by what someone else says who doesn't know "exactly" what they are talking about to begin with. where there is a way, there is a waiver and if you want it bad enough you can attain it...i was a cadet once too and i thought i knew everything until i became a lt and then realized i was back on the bottom of the totum pole AGAIN...if you notice i only post on certain topics that i might be able to help people with. So, HeloGuy if i offended you by calling someone else a "cadet" i appologize.

Secondly, i never once stated that it was the easiest to get into or that they take any schmo into training. they only want the best to "try out" and they only take the best. It is by far one of the most competitive AFSCs to get into, but that should not discourage anyone on here from not getting involved in it if that is what they want to do. again, all i was trying to say is that they shouldn't get worked up on here about what someone says. thanks. RANT OVER

Guest aschmidt23

no, i would say that is definitely a pretty good assumption. i also know that there is more than one way to get into it other than ROTC and OTS. my point is to not get discouraged...if you want it bad enough there is always a way to get it done. it bar none THE HARDEST AFSC to get into out of ROTC and maybe the Academy (not sure about that), but that doesn't mean that it is impossible. also, no one should ever make a career decision based on what someone says on here...that is what i was trying to get across and people take it way out of context...RANT 2 OVER!!!

The year I was selected for pilot training through OTS (2003), there were two CRO slots given out. Sounds pretty tough to get into to me, by the numbers alone. That's great that you hang out with all the CROs and PJs, but I just have a feeling for some reason that the prized recruits for CRO aren't UPT washouts. No doubt it's an undermanned career field, and for a tiny minority it could be an option, but I'd bet 99.69% of washouts either wouldn't try for that or just wouldn't make it. Part of my point that is less obvious is that I don't think the type of person who washes out of anything would excel in the CRO field. Just my opinion - don't start ranting again if you disagree. And oh by the way, the 347th RQW is not the only rescue wing in the CONUS.

Oh I know...I was talking about the 920th, 106th, and 129th RQWs. Granted, they are AFRES/ANG, but the original poster didn't specify.

EDIT, AFRES not AFRS. I don't think the recriuting service has any rescue units.

[ 08. February 2006, 15:36: Message edited by: Rocker ]