Kadena F-15 Down

Hell yeah. Finally some relatively good news.

2013 has been rough.

Has it been rough? Is the accident rate actually bad this year or is this just how it always has been?

I echo the sentiment though; thank god he's all right.

Has it been rough? Is the accident rate actually bad this year or is this just how it always has been?

I echo the sentiment though; thank god he's all right.

I'd say just any year with crashes and deaths would be rough. I'm not sure how to otherwise quantify it.

I figure that there is some sort of stat out there like class A's per flying hour or something. To me, it feels like there have been more crashes than normal even though we're not flying as much. I don't know if that's true or if it just feels that way.

Mishap rates are usually tracked per 100,000 flight hours. Historically, the AF has hovered around 1-2 per 100k (class A). The data is usually a year or so behind by the time you can find it published. You can also find stats that break down the mishap rate by airframe, mishap cause etc etc. Interestingly, RPA mishaps are tracked separately.

It's been a while, but I could've sworn that one of the daily CSAF Ops Updates included mishap rates. Anyone know if there is a specific day of the week that info is briefed?

It's probably changed, but I think those slides were in the Friday brief. I think they also included ground and non-duty incidents.

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow. They post a link to the archives.

CSAF slides in front of me...mishap rates FY13 to date: 12/1.15, FY12 same date: 15/1.22. so FY13 is actually doing better than FY 12, though it's higher than the 10-yr average (22.9/1.11).

If you look soley at fatalities, though, FY13 9/0.86 vs FY12 5/0.41, the rate is twice as high. 10 yr fatalities avg is 8.2/0.40.

CSAF slides in front of me...mishap rates FY13 to date: 12/1.15, FY12 same date: 15/1.22. so FY13 is actually doing better than FY 12, though it's higher than the 10-yr average (22.9/1.11).

If you look soley at fatalities, though, FY13 9/0.86 vs FY12 5/0.41, the rate is twice as high. 10 yr fatalities avg is 8.2/0.40.

The fatality rate is what I was talking about when I said that '13 has been a rough year.

So glad the pilot is ok. Just read that the F-15's at Kadena were being grounded until some inspections are done. Is this typical in the fighter world following a mishap? Did the tankers at Manas get grounded until inspections were done? Serious questions, not trying to stir the pot or start a fighter type vs heavy type war either. Just curious.

So glad the pilot is ok. Just read that the F-15's at Kadena were being grounded until some inspections are done. Is this typical in the fighter world following a mishap? Did the tankers at Manas get grounded until inspections were done? Serious questions, not trying to stir the pot or start a fighter type vs heavy type war either. Just curious.

Halting ops for the remainder of the day and the next day is common (if not entirely standard). If there's some obvious smoking gun (like...say...a nose section well separated from the rest of the aircraft), the SPO will usually step in and ground the whole fleet of a MDS.

• Upvote 1