APO Issues

drewpey

So I PCS'd overseas, and got an APO address ahead of time from my sponsor. I forwarded all my mail, mailed myself some things and even ordered a few things online to my new address. I had been on station for about 2 weeks (3-4 weeks after I started forwarding), and repeatedly asked the mail clerks why I wasn't getting mail. They just laughed and said it takes a while. After the third week I forced them to examine my box (yeah, I said it), and it turns out the previous owner's name was on it...they changed it and the next day I ended up getting a mailbox full of mail...but none of the stuff I ordered.

I had ordered around $500 worth of stuff from various companies and none of it showed up, and nothing has been returned to the companies. Luckily Amazon is awesome and just writes it off and politely asks to return anything that shows up later...but I'm afraid other companies won't be as forgiving (after all, it's not their fault).

What the hell do I do? USPS doesn't give a shit because they wash their hands of APO, especially if it's uninsured. Complaining about it to the post office seems about as useful as tits on a nun. I'm concerned all my shit was forwarded to the previous owner's forwarding address, because it hasn't shown up anywhere. The mail clerk claims they would have held it until I claimed it, but I'm doubtful.

Anyone had any similar experience or advice (aside from insuring everything)?

Edit: the main package I'm concerned about was shipped over 7 weeks ago. No word from the seller yet.

Edited by drewpey

So I PCS'd overseas, and got an APO address ahead of time from my sponsor. I forwarded all my mail, mailed myself some things and even ordered a few things online to my new address. I had been on station for about 2 weeks (3-4 weeks after I started forwarding), and repeatedly asked the mail clerks why I wasn't getting mail. They just laughed and said it takes a while. After the third week I forced them to examine my box (yeah, I said it), and it turns out the previous owner's name was on it...they changed it and the next day I ended up getting a mailbox full of mail...but none of the stuff I ordered.

I had ordered around $500 worth of stuff from various companies and none of it showed up, and nothing has been returned to the companies. Luckily Amazon is awesome and just writes it off and politely asks to return anything that shows up later...but I'm afraid other companies won't be as forgiving (after all, it's not their fault).

What the hell do I do? USPS doesn't give a shit because they wash their hands of APO, especially if it's uninsured. Complaining about it to the post office seems about as useful as tits on a nun. I'm concerned all my shit was forwarded to the previous owner's forwarding address, because it hasn't shown up anywhere. The mail clerk claims they would have held it until I claimed it, but I'm doubtful.

Anyone had any similar experience or advice (aside from insuring everything)?

Edit: the main package I'm concerned about was shipped over 7 weeks ago. No word from the seller yet.

When I was in Korea I had stuff show up 9 weeks after ordering. Usually it showed the next day after I called the company with an inquiry. This is why some companies will not ship to APO, because it can take a very long time if your timing is bad. This is why you should pay with a credit card. If you don't get the stuff after 12 weeks dispute the charge with your credit card company. If you are a Dave Ramsey guy and paid cash, let that be a lesson to you.

My record when I was stationed at Ramstein was 19 months order to delivery through APO. After two months of waiting, the company resent the product and it arrived in 10 days. The original package arrived over a year later. Out of hundreds of packages (Amazon mostly), we had over 2 months wait 3 times.

When I was stationed in Korea, I had a whole computer never arrive but thankfully Newegg sent a replacement. A friend had three stolen before he finally gotten one. Apparently there are ton of thieves at the San Francisco APO...

LOL

Yes, apparently there are some individuals that refuse to use credit cards and hate getting free cash from them. Furthermore, they hate getting free upgrades from the airlines, that translates into free food and drinks. Basically, they are socially inept retards that we have to deal with from day to day.

Still LOLing.

Troll on, troll.

EDIT - Nevermind

As far as APO I volunteered a lot when I was at Ramstein at their post office. I left right when they started taking 2 day weekends (sun & mon I believe). Those guys were slammed every day, and it was worse Oct - Feb obviously.

I used shipitapo dot com and it was ok, if a little expensive and slow.

Edited by 17D_guy