Veteran reemployment programs/initiatives?

BADFNZ

For one of my masters classes I am going to conduct a needs assessment on a specific veteran unemployment/reemployment program or initiative to determine whether or not is has met its intent. After scouring the interwebz for hours, I really haven't found anything that has enough data to do any sort of research on. Does anyone know of any programs or initiatives like this that I could possibly use? Does the AF use a specific program for separating personnel?

Badfnz,

You might check with the PVA (www.pva.org) or DAV (www.dav.org). They both have progrms in place to help veterans with disabilities get retrained and back in the work force. I know Homer Townsend, the PVA's executive director. He's a good dude and he's been with PVA for years, both as a volunteer and now as paid staff.

For one of my masters classes I am going to conduct a needs assessment on a specific veteran unemployment/reemployment program or initiative to determine whether or not is has met its intent. After scouring the interwebz for hours, I really haven't found anything that has enough data to do any sort of research on. Does anyone know of any programs or initiatives like this that I could possibly use? Does the AF use a specific program for separating personnel?

All military personnel have to go through a Transition Assistance Program (TAP) when they separate or retire. It's mandated by Congress. This is a several day long program with classes in resume writing, interviewing techniques, how to dress, etc. I did it at Offutt last year and thought it was a pretty good program. A guy from the Nebraska Department of Labor ran it. You may want to check in with your base TAP folks before you try to reinvent the wheel.

All military personnel have to go through a Transition Assistance Program (TAP) when they separate or retire. It's mandated by Congress. This is a several day long program with classes in resume writing, interviewing techniques, how to dress, etc. I did it at Offutt last year and thought it was a pretty good program. A guy from the Nebraska Department of Labor ran it. You may want to check in with your base TAP folks before you try to reinvent the wheel.

'2' on that one. I took the one at Offutt last year, too, and I thought it was a really good class. My only complaint was that he didn't spend enough time on federal employment. I had to learn USAJOBS through trial by fire.

"3"

There are two programs now (or at least there were a few months ago when I took the classes in Minot): TAP and TAMP. The TAMP portion is mandatory, the TAP class is optional, BUT it is YOUR option whether or not to take it. Your commander CANNOT stop you from going.

I thought the TAP class was relatively worthless, but the TAMP class was invaluable.

• 2 years later...

For other folks looking to get out soon:

https://mycareer.deloitte.com/us/en/whatwedo/industries/core-leadership-program

I know some folks who went through it (I didn't find out until it was too late), but it's supposed to be a really good program. I've used some of the nuggets that were handed down to folks that went while searching for employment myself, and it paid dividends.

I went, and highly recommend it. I thought it was going to be a recruiting drive, but these guys (and gals) were genuinely interested in helping. Nothing but good things to say about Deloitte and the program.

The syracuse program is legit. Knocked out my PMP with them....which made me far more marketable as I get out of AD. Lots of other stuff in there as well for you, your troops and spouses. You may need to give em a call after you apply to follow up/get things moving...but other than that they have great customer service (surprising since it is all free)

In the PMP program, was there interview and resume help, too? I was torn between the PMP and the other track because what I really want is the interview and resume help, but the PMP could be very useful if I end up pursuing a non-flying career.

Edited by nunya

Great thread, thanks to several of the last posters for useful stuff.

I found this report helpful in figuring out just how much total compensation the military was providing (i.e. much higher than what it says on your LES) and also this federal tax estimator to figure out what a "normal" amount of taxes to expect when I stop being deployed during 6-9 months out of every year.

When it comes right down to it, figuring out what my net + benefits was compared to my gross was eye-opening (i.e. very close). I do not expect my civilian gross-to-net ratio to be nearly as high (i.e. no tax free BAH, no entirely tax free months, no free healthcare, etc.), thus when looking at civilian salaries, if I want take home what I'm taking home now or better, I needed to look significantly higher than I expected.

I also got a lot out of the book PCS to Corporate America written by the founder of Cameron-Brooks. I didn't work with them beyond a quick phone call and looking over their website, but I thought the book had a lot to offer in terms of interview prep for the $10 and couple of days reading time I spent on it.

If I had started down that path earlier in the process of separating, a recruiting firm like CB or one of their competitors may have been worthwhile, totally depends on what you want to do and if your goals are compatible with the types of positions they place guys into.

Big thumbs up on this whole discussion overall, keep the good stuff coming because I for one thought that TAP here at Cannon blew chunks and was an enormous waste of time. Sounds like other bases are running better programs.

Edited by nsplayr

Even though it might be mandated by Congress it might not be FUNDED by Guard and Reserve units. The only time our folks get the TAP and Boots to Business classes is if we have been on orders for more than 180 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The syracuse program is legit. Knocked out my PMP with them....which made me far more marketable as I get out of AD. Lots of other stuff in there as well for you, your troops and spouses. You may need to give em a call after you apply to follow up/get things moving...but other than that they have great customer service (surprising since it is all free)

so I got accepted for the next quarter (starting in Oct) for the Project Management track. I'm curious what sorts of things can be used as a legitimate "project" to meet the hour requirement for the PMP certification. Does safety program management at the squadron/Wing level count? What about creating and managing a flying hour program? How about managing a 30 year plan for an HOA? What about being on a SIB, is that considered a "project"?

ETA: the PMP handbook was less than helpful, ditto the application, for what constitutes a "project".

Edited by stract

I'm doing the same track, same term. I plan to use every flying schedule, exercise, deployment, database, air show, and open house I've worked on for my 7500 hours. As long as you can classify it as initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, or closing, it sounds like you'll be ok.

Edited by nunya

oooh airshows, thanks for reminding me. Had to design and get a demo approved a few years back.

Also, with a 4-year degree you only need 4500 hours...

Edited by stract

I completed my PMP while still on AD, and there are tons of things that work as project. The basic definition is that the project shouldn't be something that is a recurring process (i.e currency flying, etc.). I was able to use ORI/CUI prep (building a prep plan, tracking milestones, execution, and after-action). Same thing with major deployment workups. I was also able to count the execution of deployments (adjustment to how we were executing the project as part of the measure/verify/adjust process, etc..).

Yes, these things occur on a semi-regular timeline, but each one involves its own planning process, scope definition, objectives, and measurable outcomes. Doing that it wasn't too hard to come up with 4500 hours. For most of the big projects like we go through the major PMI steps, we may not call it a kickoff meeting or plot points on a Gantt chart.