NHL Playoffs

Masshole

ummm...how?

Research into the causes of CTE point to the skaters stopping from 25-30mph causing minor brain trauma that can add up over time. My use of "proven" may be premature, but research is finding CTE in more and more athletes that recorded few to no concussions in their career. It's scary because the players of the 60's 70's and 80's (when pro sports started getting faster and more violent) are showing a lot of symptoms (memory loss, dementia) at a really early age.

Are you watching the correct hit? Here is the NHL video: bit.ly/JmRvse As you can see, When Hossa turned, he had the puck poked out. More than 2 seconds later, with Torres still turning into Hossa and trying to get a one handed poke at the puck, Torres makes the hit. Obviously Torres can't get the hint as there are 5 other examples where the league told him he's wrong with fines and suspensions for similar hits.

Look up CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and you'll see why they want to outlaw these types of hits. Hell, even making a hockey stop has proven to cause brain damage in players and refs. If you want to see players (even high school players) healthy after their playing days are over, you'd see this in a different light.

From, an on-ice offical's (Referee) viewpoint:

While I am too old (and too awful) to skate at the NHL level (the "Show" as we call it), they still let me do college level games. We still see this stuff, but both the NCAA and NHL have had an emphasis on penalizing hits to the head, the last few years. IMHO, there's no reason to allow hits like this one.

This is an excellent video hosted by Brendan Shanahan. Aside from the rule violations, it is clear the player has a history of hits to the head. A shame the on-ice official didn't have a better look at it.

FM

Enough about "the hit" already. You guys are like a bunch of hockey moms. It is over. There's still a lot of hockey left.

Move on or start a new thread about this hit.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Anyways, I think it is time Brendan Shanahan found a new job. He sucks at this one. I am fairly certain it is an NHL by-law that if you kick someone with your skate, you get a two-game suspension. The worst Michalek gets is an indirect warning for it. Shanahan came down on Torres hard and rightfully so, but he is generally inconsistent with fines and suspensions. New exec!

I wish they would show the games on real TV channels (aka ones I can get while TDY)...I hate internet radio delay!

Like if ESPN showed it? That would be nice, but the only way that is happening is if Brett Favre or Tim Tebow put on skates.

I wish they would show the games on real TV channels (aka ones I can get while TDY)...I hate internet radio delay!

Have you tried vipbox.tv? My tv crapped itself, and I found out you can watch hockey (and pretty much every other sport) on there.

Go Blues!

Have you tried vipbox.tv? My tv crapped itself, and I found out you can watch hockey (and pretty much every other sport) on there.

Go Blues!

that works well if you also have decent internet...like the AF would provide that

Caps FTW, suck on it Boston, enjoy the taste.

It was a tough series and the Capitals deserved it.

You will taste it soon enough. Biotch.

Great Devils/Panthers game last night, only wish the outcome was different.

Side bar: how do you feel about the Tannehill pick?

Edited by Masshole