T-6s Grounded

Archa3opt3ryx

There is at least one on the air show circuit:

From the bump on the nose, isn't that an A-37?

At OSH 2009, there were a pair of T-37s parked in the Warbirds area. I talked to the guys flying them, apparently the T-37 straddles the moratorium on military aircraft sales--I don't know the specifics, but apparently "some" T-37s are out there on the civilian market.... (At least the two I saw year before last!)

Guest Bill Lumbergh

Looks like a T-37C...the bump on the nose is where the 7.62 mm minigun protruded on the A-37B, but this aircraft is missing the hinged FOD screens that were installed under the intakes to protect the J-85 (non-afterburning) engines. Also, the A-37B had the pitot tube moved to the top of the vertical stab, while this one is still mounted on the nose. The A-37B had most of the electronics in the right nose compartment relocated to accommodate the minigun installation, so there are typically more antennas and a distinctive blister radome installed aft of the canopy. The T-37C was designed for the foreign military sales market and had provisions for wingtip fuel tanks and only a couple of hardpoints on the wings. Also, unlike the A-37B, the T-37C still used the old centrifugal flow J-69 engines, so it featured some of the extra weight and drag from the A-37B, with the same thrust-deficiency of the T-37B. There's a great (but out of print) book on this called Cessna Warbirds by Walt Shiel...

edit: punctuation

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

Well the limfac to the timeline in the near future will be maintenance support...will there be smaller class sizes? So we're told...I'll believe it when I see it.

Laughlin Saturday Flying Club patch...check

Last year VT-2 down at whiting flew 1400 sorties on saturdays...enough to complete around 30 studs. The cons of whiting for sure.

edit for not writing the right thing the first time.

Edited by LoneStar

I bet there's a few rich ass retired AF pilots that would love a personal T-37 for their hanger.

Let's see...

Underpowered, unpressurized, loud enough to piss off every dog, cat, and neighbor within a mile while simultaneously destroying your hearing, engine technology from the 40's (real easy to find repair and parts facilities), short range, practically no luggage capacity, 1960's avionics...

Why wouldn't they love it???

• 1 month later...

Last year VT-2 down at whiting flew 1400 sorties on saturdays...enough to complete around 30 studs. The cons of whiting for sure.

edit for not writing the right thing the first time.

You forgot to mention all the Sundays we flew as well to make up for T-6 production/ transition issues.