Home of The Fighter Pilot

I guess we all can fall on, "Boss, I quit!"

I like:

Welcome to Nellis AFB - you have the right to remain silent.

and

Welcome to Nellis - across from the 25 club.

I guess I'll lump myself in with those new-age SNAPS, but you guys realize that Nellis has non-fighter units that actually deploy right? In fact, in the 5 years that I spent at Nellis, I can't remember one fighter unit that did deploy.

Home of the Fighter Pilot? I guess, but meanwhile I (helo pilot) spent 5 years there working, deploying, sweating and bleeding (watching friends bleeding) getting the job done. I don't care for the PC culture of the Air Force; I don't think everyone is a warrior, and I do think Robin Olds is a bad-ass, but I think Nellis AFB is more than the "Home of the Fighter Pilot."

As I was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 26

In fact, in the 5 years that I spent at Nellis, I can't remember one fighter unit that did deploy.

Home of the Fighter Pilot? I guess, but meanwhile I (helo pilot) spent 5 years there working, deploying, sweating and bleeding (watching friends bleeding) getting the job done.

The Predator was removed from the sign by fighter guys at least 69 times while I was stationed there but no one even thought of touching the helo. Why do you think that was? Was it because the fighter guys didn't notice the helo was on the sign or maybe because they respected the helo guys and absolutely thought the helo should be on the sign?

Did you meet any fighter pilots stationed there who had ever deployed before they got there? Ever meet any fighter guys who had lost friends before they got there? Did you ever meet any fighter guys who lost friends while they were stationed there? Did you meet any fighter pilots coming through there who were there because they were going to deploy and were being trained by those units that didn't deploy? Did you meet any pilots who did deploy while they were there but weren't helo pilots?

I am the first person to show respect to chopper units. Giving the T-Clones shit or busting fighter pilot's balls for talking with their hands at the Club is fun. However, deployment dick measuring makes you look small and should draw a flag for douchemanlike conduct.

Think of it this way...I'm pretty sure the guys on the hill at Pope don't have hurt feelings because there's nothing at the gate acknowledging their deployment schedule.

Nellis as home of the fighter pilot is part of USAF heritage and there's no obvious reason to remove it from the gate which makes it feel like a PC move. That's why it should bother you that they took it down.

Burger King serves chicken, but it's still "Home of the Whopper".

'Nuff said.

This one goes into the top ten.

Mind if I use this?

I had a DO once, graduate if WIC that told me 6 years ago this would happen. He said, "One day it will say home of the pilot, and a few years later, just home.". By god, what is the AF doing. ANG = Home of the fighter pilot.

Wow...When will this crap stop? What the ###### is happening to our service? This kinder/gentler AF shit has to end. So much for tradition :bash:

"One day it will say home of the pilot, and a few years later, just home.".

...And eventually just "homo."

Welcome to Nellis, homo.

Guest FullOtto

...And eventually just "homo."

Welcome to Nellis, homo.

just fell out of chair laughing. Albeit a wobbly soviet made chair but still.

Perhaps somebody with a spirit mission can make another sign outside base or rent space from a local parking lot:

--Fighter Pilots, homeless now, got change?--

Made this one for ya with my fav jet.

Nellis_AFB_Home_of_The_Fighter_Pilot%20copy.jpg

As a bomber nav I am OFFENDED.... that somebody took down the sign. Nellis has ALWAYS been home of the fighter pilot. Fuck sensitivity. Let the people who need a hug have their own base and label it "Home of the whiners." Make it an AETC base, or maybe the Academy.

I guess I'll lump myself in with those new-age SNAPS, but you guys realize that Nellis has non-fighter units that actually deploy right? In fact, in the 5 years that I spent at Nellis, I can't remember one fighter unit that did deploy.

Home of the Fighter Pilot? I guess, but meanwhile I (helo pilot) spent 5 years there working, deploying, sweating and bleeding (watching friends bleeding) getting the job done. I don't care for the PC culture of the Air Force; I don't think everyone is a warrior, and I do think Robin Olds is a bad-ass, but I think Nellis AFB is more than the "Home of the Fighter Pilot."

As I was.

Sure it is home to other things too, but that doesn't make it any less the "Home of the Fighter Pilot". If you want to note that it's the home of the Thunderbirds, erect a sign (sts) and state it. If you think it's the home of every warfighter, do that too. But there is no reason to remove a sign simply because it doesn't include everyone. If you think everyone is a warfighter, you are sorely mistaken.

Of course the fighter units didn't deploy. They are there to train OTHER fighter units. That's exactly as accurate (and ignorant) as chiding the CSAF because the CSO schoolhouse or pilot training squadrons don't deploy.

Edited by BQZip01

I'm sure the "Cradle of Naval Aviation" sign is still there in Pensacola even though the Nav school is there. This bullshit needs to stop. We should get pencil patches that say "homeless" on them. Oh wait, they're saying we can't wear those either.

If you want to note that it's the home of the Thunderbirds, erect a sign (sts) and state it.

No erection required, they already have this...

Thunderbirds+Hanger.JPG

No erection required, they already have this...

Thunderbirds+Hanger.JPG

HOLY SHIT! How does that airman in line for the porta potties make weight standards. And he is so shiny.

(before you reply, yes its a dude in an inflatable suit.) I'd still like to see him do his PT test.

Someone should include this in the a letter to Gen Welsh.

"I'm leaving the Air Force because it's taken the shirt off my back, the boots of my feet, and now my home - all in the same week."

• Upvote 3

Like I said before the club is still standing, but I found out last night it will be under new ownership Monday.

So will it be the New New 25 Club?

As long as they serve wings and beer and are open every night so you can proceed there to finish up the debrief after a night sortie it really doesn't matter what they put on the front gate.

Things get bad if the 25 Club goes the way of Sunrise Cedars.

Speaking of the club, how about these thoughts from the brethren?

A lot of truth in this article

INDEED!

Where Have All The Fighter Pilots Gone?

We used to go to the Officers Club or NCO Club Stag Bar on Friday afternoons to drink, smoke and swap lies with our comrades. Think about this when you read the rest of the letter below. What happened to our Air Force (or Military)?

Drinking then became frowned on. Smoking caused cancer and could "harm you." Stag bars became seen as 'sexist'. Gradually, our men quit patronizing their clubs because what happened in the club became fodder for a performance report. It was the same thing at the Airman's Club and the NCO and/or Top 3 clubs.

Now we don't have separate clubs for the ranks.

Instead we have something called All Ranks Clubs/community clubs. They're open to men and women of all ranks....from airman basic to general officer. Still, no one is there. Gee, I wonder why.

The latest brilliant thought out of Washington is that the operators ("pilots?") flying remote aircraft in combat areas from their duty station in Nevada or Arizona should draw the same combat pay as those real world pilots actually on board a plane in a hostile environment. More politically correct logic? They say that remote vehicle operators are subject to the same stress levels as the combat pilot actually flying in combat. ----- REALLY!!!???

Now that I've primed you a little, read on.

There are many who will agree with these sentiments, but they apply to more than just fighter pilots. Unfortunately, the ones with the guts to speak up or push for what they believe in are beaten down by the "system."

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in the following text - supposedly, Secretary Gates has a force beating the bushes to learn who wrote this....

Where Have All The Fighter Pilots Gone?

Good Question.

Here is a rant from a retired fighter pilot that is worth reading:

It is rumored that our current Secretary of Defense recently asked the question, "Where are all the dynamic leaders of the past?" I can only assume, if that is true, that he was referring to Robin Olds, Jimmy Doolittle, Patton, Ike, Boyington, Nimitz, etc.? Well, I've got the answer:

They were fired before they made major!

Our nation doesn't want those kinds of leaders anymore. Squadron commanders don't run squadrons and wing commanders don't run wings. They are managed by higher ranking dildos with other esoteric goals in mind.

Can you imagine someone today looking for a LEADER to execute that Doolittle Raid and suggesting that it be given to a dare-devil boozer - his only attributes: he had the respect of his men, an awesome ability to fly, and the organizational skills to put it all together? If someone told me there was a chance in hell of selecting that man today, I would tell them they were either a liar or dumber than shit.

I find it ironic that the Air Force put BG Robin Olds on the cover of the company rag last month. While it made me extremely proud to see his face, he wouldn't make it across any base in America (or overseas) without ten enlisted folks telling him to zip up his flight suit and shave his mustache off.

I have a feeling that his response would be predictable and for that crime he would probably get a trip home and an Article 15. We have lost the war on rugged individualism and that, unfortunately, is what fighter pilots want to follow; not because they have to but because they respect leaders of that ilk. We've all run across that leader that made us proud to follow him because you wanted to be like him and make a difference. The individual who you would drag your testicles through glass for rather than disappoint him.

We better wake the hell up! We're asking our young men and women to go to really shitty places; some with unbearable climates, never have a drink, have little or no contact with the opposite sex, not look at magazines of a suggestive nature of any type, and adhere to ridiculous regs that require you to tuck your shirt into your PT uniform on the way to the porta-shitter at night in a dust storm because it's a uniform.

These people we're sending to combat are some of the brightest I've met but they are looking for a little sanity, which they will only find on the outside if we don't get a friggin' clue. You can't continue asking people to live for months or years at a time acting like nuns and priests. Hell, even they get to have a beer.

Who are we afraid of offending? The guys that already hate us enough to strap C-4 to their own bodies and walk into a crowd of us? Think about it.

I'm extremely proud of our young men and women who continue to serve. I'm also very in tune with what they are considering for the future and I've got news for whoever sits in the White House, Congress, and our so-called military leaders. Much talent has and will continue to hemorrhage from our services, because wanna-be warriors are tired of fighting on two fronts - - one with our enemies, another against our lack of common sense.

• Upvote 10