New Powered Flight Program Aircraft at USAFA

flynhigh

Nothing 'goofy' about the Cirrus flight controls.

Flew the 22 with one of their traveling salesmen, and didn't notice my thumb resting on the hat switch on top of the stick. When I rotated, I realized that switch was the trim...

It was an ugly takeoff to say the least, but the flight was great. I was very impressed with the airplane. Although for that money, I'd still take a Lancair.

Flew the 22 with one of their traveling salesmen, and didn't notice my thumb resting on the hat switch on top of the stick. When I rotated, I realized that switch was the trim...

It was an ugly takeoff to say the least, but the flight was great. I was very impressed with the airplane. Although for that money, I'd still take a Lancair.

:nob:

I don't know any owners, but the folks that rent them, love them.

Except the cost.

I could rent a Seminole for almost half an SR-20. Gotta pay to play though. I really enjoyed my flight in it, but it would take me a while to learn the G1000.

I don't know any owners, but the folks that rent them, love them.

They have a robust time-share program. I spent some time talking to the Cirrus guys at Oshkosh in 2006. If you buy a 1/5th time-share you could get a SR-20 to an airport nearest you within 72-96 hours fully fueled and ready to go. Not sure if the program has changed, but that's better odds than the two FBO's I flew out of back then in regards to quality aircraft availability. AFAIK it was pretty reasonably priced as well. While I still prefer a PA-28-180, the SR-20 was pretty impressive.

Great airplanes.

Nothing 'goofy' about the Cirrus flight controls.

I'd say "goofy" is a matter of opinion. And stipulate that since you have flown a few zillion more aircraft than me, your opinion is probably worth more than mine.

I was referring to the springs in the pitch axis. For a given amount of force the plane is far more responsive in roll than pitch. Keep in mind I fly zero time guys in a 9 ride syllabus. With the springs, it takes a little more force in the pitch axis, which makes it a little more difficult to learn to flare (compared to say, the DA-40 which you could easily land with one finger if so inclined).

Small sample size, but in my experience it's taken longer to get guys landing in the Cirrus than the Diamond. I think we were ~50% solo rate in 40, it's way too early to see what the Cirrus is like but so far looks to be lower. I blame what I like to call the goofiness in the pitch axis. I know roughly zero about general aviation but we try to solo people at about the 12-13 hour point, I get the feeling that's pretty aggressive but again, don't really know.

None of which is a criticism of the plane, it's extremely cool. If it takes a ride or two more than a Diamond to solo, so what? From what little I saw of last week's incident, I'd say it's a pretty robust aircraft as well. Keep in mind we bought the smallest motor, and have a two bladed prop. High on my to do list is flying one at sea level.

... but considering I heard the same story from multiple people on multiple occasions, either they're all collectively bullshitting, I keep misunderstanding something, or there's a grain of truth somewhere in there.

I don't think they're BSing you, I think it's more a courageous decision to refuse to allow a complete lack of knowledge or experience prevent them from making authoritative statements about things they know nothing about.

I think we were ~50% solo rate in 40, it's way too early to see what the Cirrus is like but so far looks to be lower.

You're never truly solo in a Cirrus...

3849fe85-8bc7-4211-90d2-8a3337c643ed.Full.jpg5314.USCG_2D00_428735.JPG