WestJet has new way to save fuel

Roswell

WestJet today introduced a new state-of-the-art money-saving feature on board all flights aimed at countering the rising price of jet fuel. Effective today, WestJet will be using air mixed with helium in the ventilation system to lighten the weight of the aircraft.

Helium is approximately 85 per cent lighter than nitrogen, which accounts for 80 per cent of the air we breathe. With a maximum takeoff weight of more than 150,000 pounds, adding helium to the air mix will provide fuel savings of approximately three to four per cent on board WestJet's Boeing Next-Generation 737s. This will, in turn, allow WestJet to pass the savings on to its guests.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/media-investors/helium.shtml?sm_cid=sm-af-ge-20110401

On the up side, I hear those guys have a much easier time getting a type rating in the Goodyear blimp.

Also, I'm guessing Roswell doesn't know much about how cabins are pressurized (where the air comes from and how often it's cycled). 1 Apr or not, that idea screams BS right out of the gate.

On the up side, I hear those guys have a much easier time getting a type rating in the Goodyear blimp.

Also, I'm guessing Roswell doesn't know much about how cabins are pressurized (where the air comes from and how often it's cycled). 1 Apr or not, that idea screams BS right out of the gate.

In the blimp world, the guys that actually fold the blimps get all the chicks.