Lateral Pilot Transfer to the Navy?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of doing a lateral pilot transfer to the Navy from the Air Force. I am a T-38 grad from Vance that got assigned C-21s to Ramstein, which is a pretty sweet gig. But I just got word that I'll no longer be able to compete to go pointy-nose for my next assignment and will be forced to the heavy world. I love being in the Air Force, but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet, and I'm just not ready to let it go.

I've got just over 8 years left on my pilot training ADSC and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter after my assignment at Ramstein. I've looked at Palace Chase to a guard or reserve unit, but currently they're not really letting young pilots go. My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of doing a lateral pilot transfer to the Navy from the Air Force. I am a T-38 grad from Vance that got assigned C-21s to Ramstein, which is a pretty sweet gig. But I just got word that I'll no longer be able to compete to go pointy-nose for my next assignment and will be forced to the heavy world. I love being in the Air Force, but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet, and I'm just not ready to let it go.

I've got just over 8 years left on my pilot training ADSC and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter after my assignment at Ramstein. I've looked at Palace Chase to a guard or reserve unit, but currently they're not really letting young pilots go. My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Let your commander know your intentions first, and then contact a Navy officer recruiter and they should be able to point you in the right direction fairly quickly. That said nothing happens in a vacuum and right now there are TONS OF GUYS whose dream was always "to be in a single seat jet" so be humble and realistic as you move forward.

Standing by for a herbivore to file a hurt feelings report in 3.....2.......1........

Ouch, my feelings, they hurt! But seriously, what opportunities are there in other services to fly some of their planes, fighter or not? I know of pilots from the Navy that have permanently transferred to the Air Force to fly our jets, sometimes even with a reduction in rank.

The grass is always greener...

Standing by for a herbivore to file a hurt feelings report in 3.....2.......1........

You can probably recycle one from the massive pile of pilot complaints about PME, reflective belts, finance, master's degrees, lack of focus on the "mission"....

I called the VFA assignments guy at the Navy Personnel Center about 6-9 weeks ago asking about interservice transfers (since my year group is getting RIFed). He told me the Navy is not accepting interservice transfer applications for any pilots in FY 11 or FY 12. They are also trying to force shape pilots out of active duty. He told me the best bet would be to apply at the beginning of FY 12 for an IST so that the transfer could occur at the beginning of FY 13. This included all their flying communities. If you do proceed with an IST and are approved, you apparently meet a "board" that determines what aircraft you will go to based on your previous experience.

• Upvote 1

I called the VFA assignments guy at the Navy Personnel Center about 6-9 weeks ago asking about interservice transfers (since my year group is getting RIFed). He told me the Navy is not accepting interservice transfer applications for any pilots in FY 11 or FY 12. They are also trying to force shape pilots out of active duty. He told me the best bet would be to apply at the beginning of FY 12 for an IST so that the transfer could occur at the beginning of FY 13. This included all their flying communities. If you do proceed with an IST and are approved, you apparently meet a "board" that determines what aircraft you will go to based on your previous experience.

That actually isn't that far away. Maybe a few months right? Just a couple questions. First, if approved, would you have to accept the transfer before meeting the board to decide which aircraft, or can you wait to accept until after the board? Second, how would my ADSC apply to this transfer?

Thanks!

... but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet,

... and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter...

Are you trying to go "single-seat"?

Or are you trying to go "fighters".

Not all "single-seats" are "fighters".

Not all "fighters" are "single-seats".

You won't make shit as a TR with no man-days but you'll fly pointy thingies.

Good Lord, man.

Avoid whatever guard unit the Duck is talking about.

Flip through this for some random information. Here's another reg on the process.MILPERSMAN 1300-082

I couldn't find anything about meeting a board or how you'll find out what you're flying. There is, however, a lot about letters of release from your mother service and recognizing the 'needs of the Navy' (polyestherduck could probably tell you all about that). Hopefully I'm wrong, but it doesn't sounds like you can jump through the months of paperwork, releases, approvals, etc. and then say "Oh I wanted fighters... thanks anyway." If you're set on doing this then get some things in writing about where you'll go before making any final decisions. Just like every other service, the needs of the miliary outweigh your dream sheet so keep that in mind.

Flip through this for some random information. Here's another reg on the process.MILPERSMAN 1300-082

I couldn't find anything about meeting a board or how you'll find out what you're flying. There is, however, a lot about letters of release from your mother service and recognizing the 'needs of the Navy' (polyestherduck could probably tell you all about that). Hopefully I'm wrong, but it doesn't sounds like you can jump through the months of paperwork, releases, approvals, etc. and then say "Oh I wanted fighters... thanks anyway." If you're set on doing this then get some things in writing about where you'll go before making any final decisions. Just like every other service, the needs of the miliary outweigh your dream sheet so keep that in mind.

Awesome!

Guest CAVEMAN

First off, the Navy has to consider you an asset. If they do consider you as an asset more than likely they will be bringing you in to fill a void in one of the Year Groups. Part of consideration for bringing you in would be the time to train you and get you operational. Most likely, your previous background comes into play here and they are thinking they will probably just send you to one of the advanced stages of a fixed wing program and then on to the RAG. This may also not be the case but you have to assume worst case scenario. Since you did not have prior Fighter experience, the quickest way back into the cockpit with less cost to the government is to send you to fly the Hawkeye, Greyhound or Orion.

I have really tried to paint a realistic picture but I could also be far from the truth. You are really rolling the dice if you go through with this. I doubt the Navy will give you anything in writing. Why would they? Also remember that they could send you to API Day I and you may end up getting Helos. If you will not be happy flying anything and living on USS Boat, don't do it.

I would be very cautious and investigate this carefully. As a former Navy pilot I can tell you that it is not normal for multi drivers to transfer to fighter or attack, you almost always dance with the one that brought you. I have seen some go the other way- I had a Marine instructor who flew jets while I was in the training command. He got orders while I was there to a helo squadron, and not a happy camper. For someone coming from the outside who has not flown fighter or attack and has no experience at the boat you would be taking the place of someone in the pipeline who has those quals, so I would say it would be difficult.

I can't say that it would never happen, but investigate carefully. I don't know how you would go about this as no one is guaranteed much of anything in the military, but good luck.