Citizen Soldiers Denied Family Visits

ClearedHot

That is just craziness!

I understand that when you are in training that there may not be a lot of free time available for leave and time off. But when you do have time off, why should you be restricted to base or otherwise be told what you can/cannot do? Perhaps they have had issues with guys getting in trouble off base which has ruined it for everybody else. Either way it is total BS.

My brother is AD Army and is getting ready to deploy (again) and he has had the opposite experience. They did their spin up and were "certified" but has now been sitting around with nothing to do at work for the last month and a half waiting to go. It is awesome for married folks to get time with their family before they go but sucks for single guys stuck in the barracks with nothing to do but wait, especially considering the real garden spots the Army has for bases.

I think this might be a little off center. I know "citizen soldiers" used to get some leave in the during their predeployment training. I think that is what they have lost. This might also be a cost saving measure, lots of days saved by knocking off the mid-training leave.

I think this might be a little off center. I know "citizen soldiers" used to get some leave in the during their predeployment training. I think that is what they have lost. This might also be a cost saving measure, lots of days saved by knocking off the mid-training leave.

I can grasp that. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around being unable to leave the base at the end of the duty day (or allow dependents on base for a quick lunch/dinner at the BX food court, if that's the time you have available).

From the article and the AGR Col they quoted, that is not the case...they are no shit restricted to base even after duty hours.

I talked to the Mob Readiness office here and they said it is true, but taken out of context. Nobody has a 4 month spin-up anymore. A BCT may be 60 days, but the overall system is now down to 45 days. They now have a 12 month mob timeline-which includes pre-mob training and the "BOG" time in theater. So they are only gone from their families for 12 months. They are restricted to base, but it is due to the "bad apples" that were mentioned earlier. Not sure about the family being allowed on base to see the soldier.