F-22 air to air refuel

Guest Barry

Guest Barry

Good Day,

A few of my co workers had a visual passage of two F-22's and a Tanker near Edmonton Alberta (YEG). I'm curious if this is a common practice when transiting foreign airspace instead of a fuel stop due to the sensitivity of the aircraft? Will this experience likely happen again over Alberta with traffic moving to Elmendorf?

I would love to have seen it.

Thanks

Barry

Good Day,

A few of my co workers had a visual passage of two F-22's and a Tanker near Edmonton Alberta (YEG). I'm curious if this is a common practice when transiting foreign airspace instead of a fuel stop due to the sensitivity of the aircraft? Will this experience likely happen again over Alberta with traffic moving to Elmendorf?

I would love to have seen it.

Thanks

Barry

Yes, this is very common (moving fighters with tanker support). It is much quicker and easier to air refuel than stop, plus the likelihood of an aircraft breaking seems to go up exponentially every time you land or shut it down. It seems likely that with the F-22s now stationed in Alaska that these transits will happen more often - due to Red Flag, other exercises, or threat of international date line crossing perhaps.

Edited by Bergman

Will this experience likely happen again over Alberta with traffic moving to Elmendorf?

Only if they can pass their tail numbers properly.

• 2 weeks later...