Social Networking sites (Facebook) allowed on NIPR

RangerMateo

Great... Im sure customer service wont suffer a bit in any support office anywhere on base. Whats more interesting is that the mouth-breathers at PACAF comm wont let me use a portable hard drive but I can now keep facebook and hotmail and youtube up 24/7.

GMAFB.

Chuck

Chuck,

You were able to find someone in customer service prior to be allowed on Facebook? You'll have to tell me what office that was so they can get a comp day.

Waldo

• 4 weeks later...

...and so it begins.

Social Networking Update

From the article:

Due to the importance of allowing access to more Internet-based capabilities for communication and collaboration, we are working to strike a balance between maintaining a safe and tightly controlled network while allowing Airmen to have the access they need to get information and conduct business

So, Airmen need to see status updates and find some gay shit on a farm to conduct business??

Edited by Gravedigger

The network at WRI has a 'bot that pops up IE-based warning messages during the logon process. The latest message stresses OPSEC as it pertains to social-networking sites, and ways to ensure you don't compromise sensitive info on Facebook, MySpace, etc.

Still can't get to those sites on WRI's network, though... even through the links on af.mil. Hopefully, they'll keep it that way.

Word on the street is that this is already creating a shit storm in PACAF. They've had to kick maintainers out of break rooms and off computers to get back to work. This is a bad idea big blue.

• 2 months later...

Walked into the housing office place to get some rooms for the new guys showing up...the Sgt no shit is chatting on facebook, and he has no problem taking 20 sec to finish up the conversation before helping us. I was shocked...even though I expect complete retardation and worthlessness from every shoe I interact with, I still just couldn't believe this was actually happening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...even though I expect complete retardation and worthlessness from every shoe I interact with

Dude, calm the fuck down. Listen to yourself for a second. If what you are saying is true you need to think about your role as an officer.

That said, I cannot believe they allow facebook on USAF computers.

Isn't it odd? It seems every other website, discussion forum, hotmail, gmail, gun site, or blog is blocked. But one the biggest mind-numbing wastes of time on the internet is advertised and in some ways, seemingly encouraged, as open for use by any military member? At first, it makes no sense....

You might be right and the AF is wicked smaht, but I think it's much more simple. Big Blue wanted its own Facebook page, cuz that's what all the kids are doin'.

Dude, calm the fuck down. Listen to yourself for a second. If what you are saying is true you need to think about your role as an officer.

Yeah, I guess it was over the top. I've just had some very bad experiences very recently that have really pissed me off, and I'm still steaming from them. I know there are a lot of good people in other career fields, just seems recently I've been dealing with the bottom of the barrel...meaning people who don't know their jobs and go out of their way to do anything so they don't have to do work (i.e. help unfuck the situation their office created). Though in all fairness I will say last week I was able to work with someone on one of the problems that actually was willing to help and put effort into it. We'll see when/if this problem gets resolved, but this person seems promising. Unfortunately, it took going up 5 levels of supervision (no shit) to even get any kind of real help on the biggest issue. Sorry, but that's a failure in my eyes. Why the 5th level of supervision even needs to get involved is ludicrous, but they have to because their subordinates below them are unable and/or unwilling to do the job. So yes, my words were too harsh, but I know many on here probably know exactly the type of generic situation I'm talking about. It's unfortunate that such situations are all too common in the AF today.

Yeah, I guess it was over the top. I've just had some very bad experiences very recently that have really pissed me off, and I'm still steaming from them. I know there are a lot of good people in other career fields, just seems recently I've been dealing with the bottom of the barrel...meaning people who don't know their jobs and go out of their way to do anything so they don't have to do work (i.e. help unfuck the situation their office created). Though in all fairness I will say last week I was able to work with someone on one of the problems that actually was willing to help and put effort into it. We'll see when/if this problem gets resolved, but this person seems promising. Unfortunately, it took going up 5 levels of supervision (no shit) to even get any kind of real help on the biggest issue. Sorry, but that's a failure in my eyes. Why the 5th level of supervision even needs to get involved is ludicrous, but they have to because their subordinates below them are unable and/or unwilling to do the job. So yes, my words were too harsh, but I know many on here probably know exactly the type of generic situation I'm talking about. It's unfortunate that such situations are all too common in the AF today.

Three days ago, I spent 10 minutes in a line at base lodging partly because of this issue. All I told the girl at the desk was that she needed to pay better attention to her customers and that priority one was her job. I am in my late twenties, but I still say excuse me when the phone/text/IM conversation pops up on my phone. I just don't think younger folks get that there is proper etiquette for this type of thing.

I just don't think younger folks get that there is proper etiquette for this type of thing.

Interesting observation. I wonder if you would see the same thing from a young Marine...they seem to be pretty squared away wrt customs and courtesies. The USAF might be a bit too soft on this type of thing.

I know customer focus is much higher in the civilian world. These young folks are in for a shock when they get out and their job is on the line if they don't get it. Maybe there needs to be a reset of incentives and a better focus from leadership at the lowest levels.

I have always believed that an officer's role is to evaluate the situation and take the appropriate action. Outside of your chain that means being tactful and fact driven to avoid being seen as a whining/asshole pilot.

Interesting observation. I wonder if you would see the same thing from a young Marine...they seem to be pretty squared away wrt customs and courtesies. The USAF might be a bit too soft on this type of thing.

I know customer focus is much higher in the civilian world. These young folks are in for a shock when they get out and their job is on the line if they don't get it. Maybe there needs to be a reset of incentives and a better focus from leadership at the lowest levels.

I have always believed that an officer's role is to evaluate the situation and take the appropriate action. Outside of your chain that means being tactful and fact driven to avoid being seen as a whining/asshole pilot.

Agreed on the Marine etiquette. I was part of a joint exercise a while back, where we worked with them, and they were the most respectful of everyone around them. I know the stigma Marines typically have, but I didn't see any of the bad side. The USAF is too soft on this type of thing, but I was getting at part of a bigger problem that I am seeing in everyday life.

With social networking sites/texting/IM/Cell phones comes a bastardized form of communication on all levels. Psychologically, you cannot see what a person's expression is, and that can lead to confusion on some ends. This is not only a civilian concern, but a military one as well. Communication is a good thing, but too much communication can be a very negative thing.

I don't mean to sound like that old man, even though I revealed my young age earlier, but I hate seeing people on social networking sites at work. Agreed on when the young airman gets out and tries to get a job where they can get fired for doing so. Another poster said it earlier when the government weighed the pros and cons. All of the information out there AFSC/Exercises/locations/airframes etc... are listed on these sites. There is now a part of our briefings dealing with social networking sites, and how you need to watch what you put on them.

[rant over, if it ever was one]

AKA don't be a douche, but get your point across.

AKA don't be a douche, but get your point across.

Or...never pass up an opportunity to teach.

Everything you experience as an officer is a lesson in leadership. Sometimes you're learning, sometimes you're teaching and often times both.

I wonder if you would see the same thing from a young Marine...they seem to be pretty squared away wrt customs and courtesies. The USAF might be a bit too soft on this type of thing.

In my very limited interaction with Marines, I too was impressed with their C&C, as well as just their overall demeanor. I also share the same viewpoint of most of the MX enlisted I interact with, as well as the enlisted in our squadron. However, the same cannot be said for other squadrons on base. I have interacted with some very good people, don't get me wrong, but unfortunately those people seem to be in the minority. I'm surprised and honestly kind of embarrassed for the AF regarding a decent amount of people I've observed, both in their professionalism and willingness to work hard for the mission. It's like the AF has gone incredibly soft and doesn't care. Today I watched an Amn bow up to a Capt without even a thought...full up yelled. Now don't worry, he was put in his place immediately, but I couldn't believe this guy even thought for a second that was remotely OK. Rank doesn't seem to mean shit to a lot of AF members these days. You don't have to respect the person, but you do have to respect the rank. If a Capt can respect a Maj with no problem, why is it so many enlisted seem to have a problem respecting an officer, let alone a Capt and higher (not that it should even matter what officer rank they are)? I have never seen that in other services and when talking to buddies in the Army/Marines, they said first off that shit would not happen, and if it does, that guy is getting his ass beat on the spot. These related things are why the other services make fun of the AF, and in some aspects, rightfully so.

Or...never pass up an opportunity to teach

Good point. I think a lot of guys try to an extent, but it's difficult to do so when you have zero support from leadership. I personally haven't experienced the leadership crushing such things to a terrible extent, but from talking to friends elsewhere and even reading the Died thread on here, it seems that on a large scale, these things are allowed to happen b/c leadership indirectly supports it. How will it get better if officers are berated for, *gasp*, telling a MSgt something he doesn't want to hear, or berated for simply saying/doing something b/c you're an officer and you don't take orders from an enlisted guy (of course within reason, I fully respect the enlisted corps and realize sometimes there are just rules they have to enforce).

Edited by brabus

How will it get better if officers are berated for, *gasp*, telling a MSgt something he doesn't want to hear, or berated for simply saying/doing something b/c you're an officer and you don't take orders from an enlisted guy (of course within reason, I fully respect the enlisted corps and realize sometimes there are just rules they have to enforce).

You need to use proper technique. It takes a thoughtful approach and it isn't easy. That's why you get paid the big bucks.

Guest Crew Report

Rank doesn't seem to mean shit to a lot of AF members these days. You don't have to respect the person, but you do have to respect the rank. If a Capt can respect a Maj with no problem, why is it

Why do I see Lt's in my sq call Captains by their first names? Why are 2Lt's "discouraged" from saluting 1Lt's in flying squadrons that I've been part of? Why don't a lot of rated CGO's sack up and call out the junior ranking person for disrespect? The same problem lies on both sides of the fence so it's just not the "rogue" Enlisted corps.

Edited by Crew Report

Why do I see Lt's in my sq call Captains by their first names? Why are 2Lt's "discouraged" from saluting 1Lt's in flying squadrons that I've been party of? Why don't a lot of rated CGO's sack up and call out the junior ranking person for disrespect? The same problem lies on both sides of the fence so it's just not the "rogue" Enlisted corps.

I've witnessed Majors being called by their first name by O-1 through O-3s at the club, but not anywhere else. I guess it is mostly a CGO thing. I have had a SSgt tell me that he doesn't have to salute Lt's since the rank is given and not earned. I used that opportunity to "teach" him the difference between the commissioned ranks and the non-commissioned ranks. I was not a douche to the dude, but listened to his opinion and showed him that he was incorrect using an AFI. Most just don't know, and the USAF is the most relaxed of all the Armed Forces on this issue. I would love to see it change, but our inability to be identified as a combat service could be the cause. Also, most flying/ops squadrons are full of CGOs only, and everyone parties together, etc...not an excuse for the behavior, but a good reason none the less. Lastly, call signs are supposed to be used, even when referring to other rated bubbas, no matter what the rank. This is because there is no rank in the jet, at least in some communities.

Guest Crew Report
Lastly, call signs are supposed to be used, even when referring to other rated bubbas, no matter what the rank. This is because there is no rank in the jet, at least in some communities.

As a flyer, I understand that. However, it's hard to explain to say a non-flyer Enlisted person that they need to respect a guy that goes by and introduces himself as "Spike" instead of Capt Smith. A lot of the times I think flyers bring on the attitude from non-flyers based on their persona and how we act. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it happens.

Why do I see Lt's in my sq call Captains by their first names? Why are 2Lt's "discouraged" from saluting 1Lt's in flying squadrons that I've been part of?

Because we're all CGOs and at least in our community, we're all at the same "bro" level. That doesn't mean you don't listen to or question your flt/cc just b/c he's "only" a Capt or your weapons officer just b/c he's "only" a Capt, but it does mean that calling them by their callsign wherever and acting on the bro level in the bar is completely fine.

Why don't a lot of rated CGO's sack up and call out the junior ranking person for disrespect?

I agree. It's BS and just contributes to the problem. So yes, I know it's not just an enlisted thing.

Why do I see Lt's in my sq call Captains by their first names? Why are 2Lt's "discouraged" from saluting 1Lt's in flying squadrons that I've been part of?

I think it's derived from the fact that there's no rank in a 4 ship.