Bacon Explosion!

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

Holy fvck, this thing...

Bacon Explosion

Friends of my little brother created this monstrosity for a local BBQ contest. In a few short months, the thing went viral, and now they're being given $250K to write a cookbook of recipes just like this one. WTF--how can I get that job?!

Thought you guys would enjoy...if anyone makes this, post and tell us how it turns out!

This may be the best justification I have for finally purchasing a smoker.

Edited by Rubber_Side_Down

I've got an offset smoker and it takes a lot of babysitting to get a roast, brisket, etc smoked over the course of 4-6 hours.

Get a Big Green Egg. Load it up and watch it roll an even 225 for four hours without fiddling. As an upside, it's so well insulated that it takes very little fire to keep this temp, which means less airflow and more moisture in the meat. Expensive, but a definite time-saver.

Made the explosion a couple times last football season. Absolutely awesome. Just F-ing ridiculous. Couple slabs with some cold beer...perfect. Did it in the oven and on the grill - go with the grill, your house won't stink like bacon for a week. Not that there's anything wrong with that. BTW, you may have a secondary explosion about a day later.

Edited by Spoo

Yeah it's expensive! I'd love to have one, but my wife recently gave me "The Look" for suggesting we drop nearly a grand on an Egg to cook smoked, salted, and charred red meats that'll most likely shave years off of our life. I am building an el cheapo version using terra-cotta, fire bricks, and either a gas or elec heating element with a temp control. Charcoal smoking is a pain.

I'd like to see this when you're done- please post pics. We built a stainless steal offset smoker last year, but we haven't tried to smoke anything yet.

Made the explosion a couple times last football season. Absolutely awesome. Just F-ing ridiculous. Couple slabs with some cold beer...perfect. Did it in the oven and on the grill - go with the grill, your house won't stink like bacon for a week. Not that there's anything wrong with that. BTW, you may have a secondary explosion a day or two later.

The problem is you will be hungry for more bacon.

Yeah it's expensive! I'd love to have one, but my wife recently gave me "The Look" for suggesting we drop nearly a grand on an Egg to cook smoked, salted, and charred red meats that'll most likely shave years off of our life. I am building an el cheapo version using terra-cotta, fire bricks, and either a gas or elec heating element with a temp control. Charcoal smoking is a pain.

My father in-law made a smoker like this when he visited several weeks ago. The electric heating element didn't work for shit. We ended up just charcoal smoking the pork. The next weekend some friends and I smoked the bacon explosion on it. Worked great.

This subject is just hard difficult to discuss with a straight face. Blanket STS for the whole thread.

Here's the best message left about the Bacon Explosion that I wound.

"i feel bad for all the jews, muslums, and vegeterirans who can’t taste this beef masterpeice." :rock::rock::rock:

Here's the best message left about the Bacon Explosion that I wound.

"i feel bad for all the jews, muslums, and vegeterirans who can’t taste this beef masterpeice." :rock::rock::rock:

Gotta love that good ole cow bacon.