TVs / Cable / Satellite in Europe

Because the people who made my TV won't answer my question....

I purchased a Vizio VW37L HDTV20A about a year ago and would like to bring it to Germany with me. I saw on the back that it's 100-240V, 2.5A. Does this mean that my TV is dual voltage and I can use it on the German power system? (with just a cord adapter and not a transformer)

Another question on this subject is that of NTSC vs PAL. I know here in the US we use NTSC which is 60Hz, 30 per second, but in Germany they use PAL which is 50Hz, 25 per second. Does the 50/60Hz marking on my TV indicate that I can use it on the PAL system?

Anyone here have an idea? I've been searching the net, emailed Vizio, and called their tech support. No help.

You will most likely rent or buy an AFN satellite package, so your US (NTSC) system will work with it. You won't need a transformer for it, since it is dual voltage; and you can get a converter plug at Ramstein.

You won't get German or European stations unless you get their cable or satellite, but it will work. We used our US-specs TV in Germany both on and off base for four years...

Cheers! M2

According to this website (http://www.youreviewelectronics.com/reviews/lcd-tv-reviews/visio-vx37l-vw37l-review/) you have NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners built-in. Now, reading from wikipedia tells me that ATSC/QAM are part of the new "digital TV" standard, and that ATSC tuners can read PAL signals. However, Europe is now on the AVB standard (their version of digital TV). Check out wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards .

Now for the theorizing. I really am not an expert, but I think all these "built-in tuners" refer to signals received by your TV through the coax connection (like you connected your cable or rabbit ears straight to your TV). I haven't hooked my TV up like this for a very long time, usually putting some kind of digital recorder or cable box in between and hooking up to the S-video or HDMI port. This tells me that the BOX is the thing doing the tuning (sts), not your TV. So, if I had to guess, you could take your tv with you but you'd have to get the cable box or TiVo in Germany.

Why else would Vizio make the tv dual voltage if there's no way to get it to work overseas?

Something else that might complicate things is "region encoding." HDMI is a very smart system, designed first and foremost to fight piracy, so if your tv has been given a US-region designation the HDMI port might refuse any other region's signals. All pure speculation on my part...you might try one of those "Americans living overseas" support-type forums for a good answer to this.

-kp

M2 has it right (as usual).

Your NTSC TV can be powered in Germany, but it won't recieve a signal. Plenty of dudes I know had an American TV that they used for AFN and DVDs. Most of the TVs they sell at the BXs in Europe are both dual voltage and both NTSC and PAL compatable. Bigger picture, with hulu.com and netflix, you may find you don't need any kind of TV anymore. I think I'm going to try to not pay for cable on my next PCS.

M2, as said before, is correct.

You need dual voltage (100-240V) and multi-system (NTSC and PAL). However, the multi-system only applies if you are trying to watch German or other Euro TV. If your TV is multi-system, it will normally state that somewhere in your owner's manual.

BL: Get a plug adapter, get your AFN decoder and sit back and watch your favorite AFN commercials from when you were deployed.

Guest Joshmoe

AFN, at least here in Germany, is free. At my base we picked up the decoder and dish from supply, I think some places it was done through the family support center.

Hulu doesn't work through my German ISP. I haven't bothered to try to access the site through one of those ip anonymizer sites, it may very well work that way. I think it has something to do with copyright or licensing issues.

Some people here subscribe to Sky, and like it. I thought it was a little pricy since I don't watch a ton of television.

The people that I work with who live in the Netherlands are able to get Dutch cable, which is English with Dutch subtitles... probably the best option for non-AFN programming.

Our AFN dish/tuner was free in Italy too.

My recommendation for TVs: get a laptop that the video hooks up into your TV, and you can run a stereo cord to your audio system. Figure out how to use bit torrents. You'll thank me later. AFN sucks.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think kingpin has a good point of why would it be dual voltage and not take their signal, and I agree with your theory behind the built in tuner vs. the cable DVR boxes.

I've decided that I'm gonna take it with me. Hell, worse case scenario I will have a 37' HD computer screen!

You will most likely rent or buy an AFN satellite package, so your US (NTSC) system will work with it. You won't need a transformer for it, since it is dual voltage; and you can get a converter plug at Ramstein.

I don't know about TVs, but I know that other dual-voltage appliances (computers, hair dryers) have a voltage switch that you need to flip to the correct setting or you'll fry it. The converter plug will cost you about $0.69 at the BX.

My recommendation for TVs: get a laptop that the video hooks up into your TV, and you can run a stereo cord to your audio system. Figure out how to use bit torrents. You'll thank me later. AFN sucks.

You cannot get network streaming video overseas, so trying to watch TV shows on abc.com or network websites of the like won't work. I haven't been succesful with bit torrents or Hulu, but I found Graboid, which has hundreds of thousands of movies and TV shows to download for a small monthly charge.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think kingpin has a good point of why would it be dual voltage and not take their signal, and I agree with your theory behind the built in tuner vs. the cable DVR boxes.

I've decided that I'm gonna take it with me. Hell, worse case scenario I will have a 37' HD computer screen!

The computer screen thing actually works pretty good for the limited TV options there. Internet speed is VERY fast if you live in the right place. We ended up using a Mac Mini hooked to our plasma. Most TV shows are available on itunes, and its nice to surf the internet from your recliner.

We also hooked up AFN and it was awful. On the big screen, its very fuzzy. Add this to the weird sound/video offset AFN seems to get and we rarely watched it.

Lots of folks get Sky, but I didn't want to be locked into an expensive contract for their limited programming.

Edited by HU&W

Got this email today from Vizio:

Dear Vizio Customer,

After reviewing your email regards to your VIZIO TV, model #VW37L

As for the power voltage, it is suitable for you to use in Germany. And you can purchase the cable in the local electronic store.

Our Vizio TV mainly supports NTSC, while Germany supports PAL; so generally, it is not the best to use Vizio TV there. However there is some kind of converter that could transfer TV signal between PAL and NTSC. The converter is not so expensive, and you may find it in the local electronic store. Moreover, VIZIO TVs are designed for NTSC / ATSC/QAM broadcasting system, they may not display maximum quality with a TV signal transferred by a converter. Therefore, to ensure the best interests of customers, we always suggest them to use VIZIO in NTSC/ATSC countries. But if the customers don’t mind using Vizio TV by adding a converter; the Vizio TV may still have all functions with high quality.

In addition, maybe you should consider the after sales service, if you purchase a new product, Our Vizio Company will give you a one year manufacture warranty but we only service you onsite nation wide mainly. Meanwhile, to meet the demand of the customers all over the world, we are trying to improve our technology to make our products be used and have freely service worldwide in the near future.

Guest thegrayman
Got this email today from Vizio:

Our Vizio TV mainly supports NTSC, while Germany supports PAL; so generally, it is not the best to use Vizio TV there. However there is some kind of converter that could transfer TV signal between PAL and NTSC. The converter is not so expensive, and you may find it in the local electronic store. Moreover, VIZIO TVs are designed for NTSC / ATSC/QAM broadcasting system, they may not display maximum quality with a TV signal transferred by a converter. Therefore, to ensure the best interests of customers, we always suggest them to use VIZIO in NTSC/ATSC countries. But if the customers don’t mind using Vizio TV by adding a converter; the Vizio TV may still have all functions with high quality.

Hey dude - I'm going to germany too for C-21s soon. I have a rear-projection 50" Sony HDTV and they said I'd need a transformer to use it over there. As for the PAL -> NTSC conversion, personally I'm not gonna mess with it because:

a. If I get German cable or satellite or cable or whatever, I want an HD picture, and THOSE converters are freakin expensive (at least the ones I've found)

b. I'm not planning on watching TV other than the shit on AFN (we'll be in EUROPE!!!). I'll get movies from blockbuster.com or netflix if I want to watch somethin' (yes, they supposedly ship to APO addresses!!)

Guest Joshmoe
Confirmed

Keep in mind, though, the extra time for mail from the states to get to your APO and back. I ended up cancelling netflix as I didn't think I was getting enough movies per month to make it worth it.

Keep in mind, though, the extra time for mail from the states to get to your APO and back. I ended up cancelling netflix as I didn't think I was getting enough movies per month to make it worth it.

Not sure if the European IP thing will screw you or not but if you have an Xbox360 or a newer Bluray player you can download movies directly from Netflix to the box and watch that way. Would save on the mailing times.

I can attest to that as it usually took 8-10 days between sending a movie in and getting the next one. Just wasn't worth it.

We bought a multisystem TV right after we PCS'd and did British Sky Satellite through Axel's Satellite Sevice. We had one minor issue when our card renewal didn't get done on time and that cut the service for about 2 days. Other than that, it worked great and we got a lot of current series of American programming that the Brits buy plus we didn't have to deal with Doc's commercials.

Not sure if the European IP thing will screw you or not but if you have an Xbox360 or a newer Bluray player you can download movies directly from Netflix to the box and watch that way. Would save on the mailing times.

IP will screw you on everything overseas. Xbox, online tv, and etc.

• 3 months later...