American Forces Network (AFN)

busdriver

I searched for an AFN thread, with no luck (God knows, the ridiculous adds deserve their own thread):

Why in the holy hell is AFN still advertising the special operations gunner career on the MH-53, months after the airframe retired?

Nice. I'm sure there's a rational explanation that involves money, advertising, and promulgating core values, but can somebody explain to me why you can't air regular commercials on AFN? Fncking seriously, I mean I enjoy the State Quiz, "scenes of home" (you know, the sweeping vistas of beautiful American country you get to watch while you're in some hell-hole), and assanine PSA's (usually involving horrible actors in completely ridiculous situations) just as much as the next guy, but sometimes the :rainbow: x100 propaganda you see on there is enough to make you puke. Sorry I've always wanted to ask that question. Holy shit, where's the tylenol?

EDIT: altered to include profanity - I got more pissed off the more I thought about it.

Edited by Spoo

but can somebody explain to me why you can't air regular commercials on AFN? Fncking seriously, I mean I enjoy the State Quiz, "scenes of home" (you know, the sweeping vistas of beautiful American country you get to watch while you're in some hell-hole), and assanine PSA's (usually involving horrible actors in completely ridiculous situations) just as much as the next guy, but sometimes the :rainbow: x100 propaganda you see on there is enough to make you puke. Sorry I've always wanted to ask that question. Holy shit, where's the tylenol?

It's because the programming provided to AFN is done so free of charge - they don't pay re-broadcasting or syndication fees. The reason they don't have to pay for any of the programming is specifically because they don't have advertisements - and are therefore not making money of it.

I do agree that free commercials should not mean lame commercials - apparently a job prerequisite for AFN commercial director is to be legally retarded.

I don't know--that one blonde chick in the AFN commercial who says something like 'I'll give you the next night off so you can have some privacy' in reference to the two being roommates--she's pretty hot. If I were her roomate she'd be home with me every night.

Oh, and that Marine Sergeant (E-5) doing to the news--she's kind of hot in her own way too. Oh, and before I get framed 'that guy' for thinking AFN chicks are hot--I'm almost done with my 365 tour in Iraq--here, everything is either a 1 or a 0 (especially at an army base), and the the closer you are to finishing your year, most of them start becoming 1's.

I don't know--that one blonde chick in the AFN commercial who says something like 'I'll give you the next night off so you can have some privacy' in reference to the two being roommates--she's pretty hot. If I were her roomate she'd be home with me every night.

Oh, and that Marine Sergeant (E-5) doing to the news--she's kind of hot in her own way too. Oh, and before I get framed 'that guy' for thinking AFN chicks are hot--I'm almost done with my 365 tour in Iraq--here, everything is either a 1 or a 0 (especially at an army base), and the the closer you are to finishing your year, most of them start becoming 1's.

Word. I forgot about that roomate one...agreed.

Fncking seriously, I mean I enjoy the State Quiz, "scenes of home" (you know, the sweeping vistas of beautiful American country you get to watch while you're in some hell-hole), and assanine PSA's (usually involving horrible actors in completely ridiculous situations) just as much as the next guy, but sometimes the :rainbow: x100 propaganda you see on there is enough to make you puke.

YES, GRILL SERGEANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worthless without pics!

Guest BoneBubba
Nice. I'm sure there's a rational explanation that involves money, advertising, and promulgating core values, but can somebody explain to me why you can't air regular commercials on AFN?

Dude, haven't you seen the AFN commercial which explains this?!?

Guest Cap-10

+1 for the blonde roomate girl.

I think she looks like the pet store girl from Deuce Bigalow: Bree Turner

L6.jpg

Cheers,

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Dude, haven't you seen the AFN commercial which explains this?!?

Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of that...I probably tuned it out, due to its suckage.

How 'bout this one: OPSEC Linebacker.

Edited by Spoo

On an interesting side note, the black chick in that commercial was in the TV show Prison Break. She played the wife of the dude that told his family he was in Iraq while he was really in prison. I always wondered if that AFN commercial was her big break.

I hate to do it, but no AFN Commercial thread would be complete without mentioning:

DOC

point.jpg

YEAH!!! F-ING COMBAT AWESOME!!!

Don't be ashamed, somebody had to do it.

I hate to do it, but no AFN Commercial thread would be complete without mentioning:

DOC

"Thanks for you're support". Even the wife still mentions "triple 7" from time to time after two years of AFN.

I always thought AFN should put PFE errrrrr PDG trivia in every spot. Screw test compromise! Think of how many AFN commercials you can recite after being forced to watch them. Would have to be worth an extra 10 points on your test.