What were you doing on September 11, 2001?

Bishop

Bringing this back to the top.

Anyone else have want to chime in with their personal experience that day? I don't care about the stories of people sitting in science class or sleeping at their dorm. I want to hear about those that were in the air, in the chocks, sitting at the scheduling desk, etc.

The very next post:

I was a senior cadet at USAFA.

Sorry that just made me laugh out loud.

I was a casual Lt at RAF Lakenheath with the 493rd FS. Guys started comming back from lunch saying a plane hit the WTC and speculating on the reason. I initally thought of the B-25 that hit the Empire State Bldg and figured it was a similar case of bad weather, etc. After the base went Delta and we turned on CNN to see a clear sky I just sat there like a fly on the wall listening to the Eagle guys start chomping at the bit. I was still a few months away from UPT so it was an incredible experience to see a fighter squadron gear up for war, send guys down range, and then see them home 2 weeks after they left when we found out the Taliban wasn't interested in playing airwar. I do remember for a couple months at least there was speculation that the squadron would actually deploy back to the states to support ONE.

I was a casual Lt at RAF Lakenheath with the 493rd FS. Guys started comming back from lunch saying a plane hit the WTC and speculating on the reason.

Guys airborne at Lakenheath were told to arm CMD hot and RTB immediately, but weren't given a reason.

I was a civilian working on my instrument rating. Ironically, the Friday before 9/11 I had started my initial search for a Guard/Reserve unit because I loved flying and wanted to serve. I remember sitting in my apartment that morning trying to use my private pilot knowledge and figure out how a plane could crash like that in good weather - then the second plane hit.

After that, I started making all the frantic phone calls to my friends and my family members who worked in downtown Manhattan. The rest of the story is still too difficult to relive - even ten years later. Some wounds are just so deep that I don't think they will ever heal. God be with all those who died that day - we will never forget. salut.gif

• Upvote 1

Sitting in the Ogre T-38 flight room at DLF watching it all unfold. Stepped on a solo, only to get recalled while still on the ground. Spent the rest of the day (until 2200 I recall) in that building on lockdown. We were told to go home and don't come back until we call, it was a few days if I remember.

Stepping on a 4-ship FSWD sortie. At the ops desk getting the step brief when the second jet hit. Cocked the jets and went on alert, reviewed SCATANA and MAROPs because folks thought we might have to go after LNG ships/whatever in Boston or NY harbors (ROE/PID nightmare scenario). Fucking rage filled nightmare.

I'll never forget how perfectly clear and blue the sky was on that day. Perfect New England fall day flying weather.

All four of my kids had at least one student in their class who had a relative killed in the attack. They were freaked out pretty badly when I finally got home.

Stepping on a 4-ship FSWD sortie. At the ops desk getting the step brief when the second jet hit. Cocked the jets and went on alert, reviewed SCATANA and MAROPs because folks thought we might have to go after LNG ships/whatever in Boston or NY harbors (ROE/PID nightmare scenario).

greek-flag.jpg

Help me out with this one. Am I getting shit on ?

You did get a little carried away with the acronyms for us not in 30MM trigger pulling sect. But I did work on a B-52D with a quad .50 cal that was credited with a Mig kill during its Linebacker II days.

I think he might be saying "It's all Greek to me.."

Got it.

Stepping on a 4-ship FSWD Full Scale Weapons Delivery sortie. At the ops desk getting the step brief when the second jet hit. Cocked the jets and went on alert, reviewed SCATANA TITLE 32--NATIONAL DEFENSE PART 245--PLAN FOR THE SECURITY CONTROL OF AIR TRAFFIC AND AIR NAVIGATION AIDS and MAROPs Joint Maritme Operations because folks thought we might have to go after LNG Liquid Natural Gas ships/whatever in Boston or NY harbors (ROE Rules of Engagement/PID positive identification nightmare scenario). Fucking rage filled nightmare.

I'll never forget how perfectly clear and blue the sky was on that day. Perfect New England fall day flying weather.

All four of my kids had at least one student in their class who had a relative killed in the attack. They were freaked out pretty badly when I finally got home.

FIFY

• 2 months later...

10th grade. My school was on an old coast guard base called Sandy Hook in New Jersey. We overlooked New York. The smoke was visible. I remember seeing blood in my eyes; not dinosaurs. Maybe I did play too many video games... I don't know.

One of my instructors last week told me that the majority of active duty Air Force members today entered after 9/11. For the young airmen willing to step up to the plate... thank you. Our families are safe because of what you do while they sleep.

My wife was in a fender bender. I slept on the couch at my office for the next week. Next was a plane ride with Waldo (Chuck Wald now retired 4button) downrange. One week later in the basement of an embassy further downrange til Dec 01 when Buzz got me out of Fort Apache. That's right.....I'm old!

Edited by OL Patch

My wife was in a fender bender. I slept on the couch at my office for the next week. Next was a plane ride with Waldo (Chuck Wald now retired 4button) downrange. One week later in the basement of an embassy further downrange til Dec 01 when Buzz got me out of Fort Apache. That's right.....I'm old!

I piloted that KC-10 from SSC to PSAB w/Wald (& you & 69 more of our "A-team" friends) on board...