(WSJ) Afghan Air Corps - a look inside

Guest bravodelta79

Guest bravodelta79

I opened the WSJ this morning and on the front page I saw this article on the Afghan Air Corps. It's a pretty interesting look inside to see what they're like now (Wow!) and how the US guys are trying to straighten them out and show how it's really done.

It's a pretty interesting read. Imagine doing some of that stuff in your own squadron! ("Will there be lunch?")

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122091943902612681.html

I opened the WSJ this morning and on the front page I saw this article on the Afghan Air Corps. It's a pretty interesting look inside to see what they're like now (Wow!) and how the US guys are trying to straighten them out and show how it's really done.

It's a pretty interesting read. Imagine doing some of that stuff in your own squadron! ("Will there be lunch?")

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122091943902612681.html

Oh man. The stories I could tell about this issue. I'm doing the exact same mission except with CAFTT in Iraq and my good buddy is doing the CAPTF mission in Afghanistan.

It's pretty challenging to say the least. I'll go into more details if anyone has any further questions. All I can say is YJCMTSU.

Oh man. The stories I could tell about this issue. I'm doing the exact same mission except with CAFTT in Iraq and my good buddy is doing the CAPTF mission in Afghanistan.

It's pretty challenging to say the least. I'll go into more details if anyone has any further questions. All I can say is YJCMTSU.

Know any of the maintenance guys over there with you? I'm very interested in giving it a shot. Can you hook me up with someone over there doing it now.

Know any of the maintenance guys over there with you? I'm very interested in giving it a shot. Can you hook me up with someone over there doing it now.

My roommate was a maintenance officer/advisor with the 172's and now with the Mi-17's. He's rotating out soon but if you PM your email address and questions, I can have him contact you.

I saw a request for a couple of IG guys to go to Iraq and Afghanistan to augment their IGs.

This article tells me how those inspections would go down.

Received same Robo-mail. My favorite highlights--

"We are aggressively seeking volunteers in the ranks of Major or Lieutenant Colonel..."

Not just seeking, or seeking intently, but seeking AGGRESSIVELY

And

"...provide a tremendous opportunity to gain valuable wartime experience in continued service to our nation. In addition, the Air Force provides several incentives, including short-tour credit, storage of household goods, possible movement of family while deployed, non-taxable federal income and additional pay.

Holy shit, if I do a 365 TDY I get short tour credit?!? I don't have to take my household goods with me in my mobags? My family can "move?" Tax free? Shit I was thinking I'd go to OIF/OEF for a year, have to sell all my shit, store my family in a closet and have to pay taxes. Where do I sign?

Not too clear on where you're going with this...

Are you implying something about the Afghani pilots are the Coalition FE? Just curious, that's all.

just saying that the no-doubt crusty MSgt was "urging" during a safety-of-flight issue was probably a euphemism...

he's not crusty.. I know him, and although he'd correct someone if they were ######ing it up, he's not the overly assertive type (overly assertive being defined by R. Lee Ermey).

Would telling the pilot "Pick the fucking collective UP!" be considered overly assertive?

I know someone who did that... at 20ft indicated on the radalt... over water... at night... on goggles.

Would telling the pilot "Pick the ######ing collective UP!" be considered overly assertive?

I know someone who did that... at 20ft indicated on the radalt... over water... at night... on goggles.

This would work...if the pilot understood you more than half the time. Some (not many) of the Iraqi pilots speak pretty decent English...and some, well, they only understand the very basics, ie turn left to heading 270 (and even that can be tough sometimes with the horrible comm system we have in the Mi-17).

Flying and instructing here has definitely proven to be a quite a challenge. It's not like teaching studs back home.