New Uniforms

Guest Rainman A-10

The yellow caps are blank firing adaptors, usually they are red. The M-16/M-4/GAU-5 use the gas released from a bullet to cycle the bolt back, enabling semi-auto or full auto firing. The blank round does not release enough gas, therefore you need the adaptor to prevent gas release and cycle the bolt back. They will not stop a live round. We really need to bring back the BALO days, that isn't a slam on anyone, just a wish that would make us a better Air Force.

The yellow caps are blank firing adaptors, usually they are red. The M-16/M-4/GAU-5 use the gas released from a bullet to cycle the bolt back, enabling semi-auto or full auto firing. The blank round does not release enough gas, therefore you need the adaptor to prevent gas release and cycle the bolt back. They will not stop a live round. We really need to bring back the BALO days, that isn't a slam on anyone, just a wish that would make us a better Air Force.

if you're going to ping someone on the operation of a gas impingement system and the need for a BFA, at least be correct when you do it. It's not that there isn't enough gas released by a blank, it's that there isn't anything in the barrel maintaining the pressure to cause the bolt to operate properly. The BFA maintains internal pressure long enough for the action of the weapon to cycle... now, you were saying?

Correct, they attach to and block the end of the barrel in case somehow a live round ended up in the chamber.

One complaint I have heard about the ACUs is the velcro pockets. Nice for in base, but if you're trying to be quiet and need something in your pocket, you're SOL. Other than that, most of the JTACs and guys who actually work in the field would take the ACUs over the crappy uniform we have now.

My buddies biggest complaint about the ACU seems to be the thickness/quality of the fabric. It seems to rip very easily, where as the BDU (ripstop/etc) was much more durable. Also they stain incredibly easy, and then he pretty much can't wear them again.

The ACU also lacks a lot of the color and concealment qualities of MARPAT and especially of MultiCam.

When I helped him out on a Ranger FTX as OPFOR it was extremely easy to spot the dudes in ACU's trying to sneak up and set up an LP/OP (granted it was a woodland type environment).

Just wanted to add some fuel to the fire:

http://www.tigerstripeproducts.com/airforcetiger.htm

The whole things a great read, but if you only have a minute, scroll to the bottom and read: "A note to the ranks."

I only beat you by about 6 hours and several posts... but yes it is an interesting look at how screwed up our acquisition process is.

Guest wannabeflyer

I think this link has been posted before. Seems like the author is bitter about losing a contract bid. The truth is most USAF members don't need a "battle" uniform. However I don't see why we wouldn't make a uniform that is functional camo for the few that do need it. What we should have done was stick with BDU/DCUs. They worked, no one had to buy new uniforms, and they would be distinctly air force since no other branches now wear them. All in all the Air Force seems incapable of creating new uniforms that are at all functional. On a side note, It's hard to fathom who came up with the "new" PT uniform, tested it, and then said "great! I love the way the shirt creates an effective sweat sauna and the track suits lets anyone within a 5 mile radius know I'm coming, plus the condom hood is tough and functional." I mean this is an easy problem to fix, off the shelf, slap an AF logo on it and it's a done deal, instead we spent 69 million dollars inventing the worlds least breathable fabric and then made PT shirts out of it.

• Upvote 1

My response was the answer given to me by a soldier when I asked the same question (I'm an ALO right now). But I disagree that it would not stop a bullet. A picture on post 8 on this page is of a barrel that blew out from being shot with a bore sight in the end of the barrel. I have seen similar pictures from mud and things that are not even physically attached to the rifle or metal like the adapter is. It would not be pleasant for the shooter or anyone within a few feet, but chances are the shooter is the one who screwed up in the first place. Either way it would probably be better than being shot.

BTW, I agree with you that the BALO program really would help pilots, but would not always be practical.

The yellow caps are blank firing adaptors, usually they are red.

Red BFAs are for rifles (M-16A2, M-16A4). Yellow BFAs are for carbines (M-4, etc.). Different barrel length + different gas system length = different gas system pressure curve, requiring a different-sized orifice in the BFA.

--------

The NWU (Navy Working Uniform) is meant to replace the old-school dungarees and coveralls worn by sailors while afloat, and also give them a utility uniform to wear ashore, as an alternative to working blues or whites (for those who don't know, the Navy has about 3x more uniform combinations than any other service...). Note that the words "combat" and/or "battle" do not appear in the name of that uniform - more than likely, the only sailors wearing those uniforms in combat will be ship's personnel aboard something that is afloat/submerged, and have no need for camouflage.

As already noted, Navy folks attached to another service's ground elements will wear that service's uniforms (I've been seeing a number of Navy folks wearing ACUs walking around M-D-L lately...) and comply with that service's uniform standards.

Guest wannabeflyer

Just went to the uniform store today and low and behold it seems that Big Blue has noticed how terrible the original PT stuff was and actually made some better products. There are new track suits, shorts, and shirts, all made out of more comfortable, lighter material. Look for the Soffee brand of gear. Of course they didn't have any sizes besides small and XXL but hey I'm just happy that someone high up finally found a better material for the pt gear I'll be wearing at the Died all the time.

Just went to the uniform store today and low and behold it seems that Big Blue has noticed how terrible the original PT stuff was and actually made some better products. There are new track suits, shorts, and shirts, all made out of more comfortable, lighter material. Look for the Soffee brand of gear. Of course they didn't have any sizes besides small and XXL but hey I'm just happy that someone high up finally found a better material for the pt gear I'll be wearing at the Died all the time.

yep, i got the new shorts, and they're what they should have been in the first place.

I "loved" when the AF PT gear first came out (sts) and the sizes were completely jacked up. I wear either a L or XL in most running shorts, but in the AF line, I suddenly needed XXXXL (XXXL was too tight in the waist, but was fine otherwise. I couldn't even get XXL on). WTF?

The small shorts would work only for supermodels with <20 inch waists and a L was only good for 30 inch waists. Really folks? why don't we stick with standard sizing instead of coming up with our own system.

There's a reason you have an abundance of shorts that no one wants because no one can wear them!

I have a size Medium that fits me great. A size XL that is too tight and a XXL that fits great too. I think they just randomly tack on the size tag.